Diablo® III

Rollback Policy Updated for the Americas and Europe

03/27/2013 07:11 PMPosted by DeadRu
That's what most stupid people say when they finally figure out they have no argument.

A bot is a hack but you have taken hacker out of context for this conversation.

None of the account compromised were hacked in the true sense of the word.

Well said DeadRu, well said.
Reply Quote
You weren't talking to people like they were stupid because they disagreed with you. So I won't argue.
Those are generally the only kind of people I respond to.

I actually think it has it's good points and the one glaring bad point. Honest guy gets boned.

I think if this is the best they can do then they should just never rollback accounts.

I will say the biggest line of defense beyond an authenticator is that it doesn't show the email you log in with. If someone doesn't have an authenticator and hackers knew that email it's GG. I can also see cell phone authenticators being emulated. Thats why I have the $6.00 key fob to protect my fifty cents worth of gear.

Edit: Then why were people always calling me a hacker? =/
Edited by iHateYou#1439 on 3/27/2013 7:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
By the way you guys should really google -diablo 3 account hacked authenticator-.
Or just -diablo 3 hacks-.
Reply Quote
About time...
Reply Quote

I will say the biggest line of defense beyond an authenticator is that it doesn't show the email you log in with. If someone doesn't have an authenticator and hackers knew that email it's GG. I can also see cell phone authenticators being emulated. Thats why I have the $6.00 key fob to protect my fifty cents worth of gear.

You obviously don't understand how the authenticator works.
Reply Quote
Hmm? There are "how to clone an authenticator" sites out there. I imagine it is the mobile version on a jailbreak/rooted phone. I'm not clicking to find out though.

Trustworthy? I wouldn't click on them.

Blizzard doesn't lock an account after a set number of failed login attempts. Thanks to programs which I mentioned earlier that are specifically designed to get accounts locked and hackers. So even with an authenticator they can still brute force your password. If you don't have it set to authenticate every time you log in... GG. What part of not 100% effective don't you get?

That said most hacks are probably the fault of the person getting hacked. Phishing. Questionable shareware. Blabbing their email. Trying to download hacks. The first three are iffy but the last one definitely deserves to be hacked and not get their items back BoA or not.

I understand that this is to address a duping problem. I just think it punishes the legitimately wronged while it leaves the stolen items and a potential hacker in circulation. Even if it is a duper he still has 1 to sell and 1 BoA to use. Where is the win?
Reply Quote
It takes quite a long time to brute force a basic password let alone a complex one on top of an authenticator. Even if you have your account set so it doesn't ask for the authenticator every time it still asks for it if you try to access your account from a different IP/computer.

At least you finally admitted most account compromises come from the account owner's stupidity/ignorance.

For the very few legit players who lose their items to an actual sophisticated compromise yes, this change will suck. The duped items should also become BOA when the rollback occurs, it shouldn't be that difficult for a program to track down an item ID.
Reply Quote
03/26/2013 12:13 PMPosted by Patient
The rollback policy should be removed completely, in my opinion. Blizzard should not take responsibility over users' accounts when it's their own fault that they were compromised 99.99% of the time. The rollback policy promotes ignorance and lack of accountability.

It's all about $$$, and the path that potentially generates the most is what Bliz will choose.

There are 2 groups to consider here.

- Customers with legit rollback concerns, and their future RMAH purchases

- Everyone else, and their future RMAH purchases

If overall future RMAH sales are greater by having a rollback policy (making a certain group happy, playing, and paying) vs. the potential loss of unhappy customers (don't use rollback but stop playing because it exists)... well you figure out if it's staying or going.
Reply Quote
This still doesn't address potential gold duping and gem duping as well as other commodities. The only way to truly mitigate duping is by removing rollbacks completely and try to get most people using either phone authenticators or blizzard key authenticators. People are buying massive amounts of gems as we speak in the trade forum.

I think its definitely a step in the right direction but it has some obvious flaws.
Reply Quote
I thought my password was pretty good until I figured out that the passwords on bnet aren't case sensitive. Even easier to brute force.

You'd think with real money involved they would have had an item tracking program in place from the start.

Edit: You have to have the person's email to hack the account. Best security feature is not being able tell what anyone's login email is. If they can crack your email then they can create a proxy ip similar to yours and bypass. Hackers are always ahead and security has to catch up.
Edited by iHateYou#1439 on 3/28/2013 1:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/26/2013 03:01 PMPosted by BLKDRGN
I have a duped manticore that I had no idea it was duped when I bought it. Will I be affected and not be able to sell it or does the policy only affect dupes created after April 2nd?

03/26/2013 03:01 PMPosted by BLKDRGN
I have a duped manticore that I had no idea it was duped when I bought it. Will I be affected and not be able to sell it or does the policy only affect dupes created after April 2nd?

No idea it was duped! Yea, right! Your DH looks like a poster child of hackers, dupers incorporated!
No way you got all that gear legit.
Reply Quote
Thanks for protecting your own interests in AH and ignoring the DC deaths in HC. We'd like some protection from B.S. but I'm sure it's more profitable to just ignore us.
Reply Quote
APRIL FOOLS!!! :)
Reply Quote
good job Blizzard!
Reply Quote
BOA ALL dupes restored via rollback. i will hold u to ur words blizz.
Reply Quote
View profile
I hope you are also talking about the ones already restored. Otherwise, you'll still have a ton of items floating around that are BIS and duped.

I welcome this greatly :)

Now all the dupers can do is salvage their dupes and move on to the next exploit.

By "wearable items" does this refer to gems too?
Edited by RagingKoala#1984 on 3/30/2013 4:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]