Diablo® III

Bring back the Skill Tree please

Eff the old skill trees and point spending, glad to be rid of them. Clunky, antiquated, fail design that the former Blizzard North devs should repeatedly punch themselves in the face for implementing.
Reply Quote
03/29/2013 08:02 AMPosted by Scorch
Eff the old skill trees and point spending, glad to be rid of them. Clunky, antiquated, fail design that the former Blizzard North devs should repeatedly punch themselves in the face for implementing.

enjoy your $5 ;)
Reply Quote
Some people need to get on with life rather than treating D3 as a form of escapism....

As I mentioned before:

- some days its fun to whirlwind around in MP1 helping newbies
- other days, its achievement farming in hell-mode with seismic slam/charge build
- for Ubers - HOTA smash build in MP8....
- and when I feel like it, Sword and Board build in PvP mode

Having a skill tree is archaic and having to re-roll characters is outdated - why should I have to re-do my entire character just to haven fun with a novelty skill?

On the contrary - I think the new runes system is a massive leap forward - the main challenge for Blizzard is to tinker with it to make some less-used runes more appealing.

Someone did mention a gold-sink approach to re-spec skills/runes - I think many casual players and myself will view it as a "penalty".
Edited by MoS86#6563 on 3/29/2013 8:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I enjoyed the skill trees in D2. Just needs a little better balance on all skills if a tree were to come out, as to making all skills usable for better customization. Synergies definately made that better in D2, but wasn't quite there yet. Anyways, that's my 2 cents and I hope the new director can make a better rework of the game. Would love to try and get myself back into the game which is why i'm always browsing this to see about upcoming changes and peoples ideas/suggestions. Mainly to see if that day will ever happen.
Reply Quote
But why do you want skills tree?

It will lead to the same things in the end that what we already have

I just go to town, respec and put my point differently and there you go, i got now meteor with all the passives and synergy, i get tornado with wicked winds etc.

It wouldnt change at all what you would already playing with. It just give you more skills because in D2 you usually maxed out a single ability and you went on with it making the game very boring and repetitive

i like what i have here.
Reply Quote
Why a skill tree, these are pointless posts. Even D2 realized it was a bad idea bc you got stuck with a crappy build after hours of play so they added a way to reset it. Everyone is going to google or read how to do it right for their characters and go by that way. I like the ability to change skills rather than be stuck like I was in D2. No skill tree!
Reply Quote
I feel like i got to say i'm also down whit the tree concept, tried it, loved it. +1 for this thread.
Reply Quote
I enjoyed the skill trees in D2. Just needs a little better balance on all skills if a tree were to come out, as to making all skills usable for better customization. Synergies definately made that better in D2, but wasn't quite there yet. Anyways, that's my 2 cents and I hope the new director can make a better rework of the game. Would love to try and get myself back into the game which is why i'm always browsing this to see about upcoming changes and peoples ideas/suggestions. Mainly to see if that day will ever happen.

+1
Reply Quote
03/28/2013 10:14 PMPosted by ShadowAegis
When he started he was using the function keys to use some skills. Minutes later he was hitting letter keys. Minutes later he was hitting punctuation keys. Where the game itself kept changing how the keys were mapped out on it's own. Of course it never happened that way. If you did not personally change the mapping of the usage of the skills. You always used the function keys for skills. Which is a lot like using both mouse buttons and the four number keys.

One there are 12 function keys, and 6 in Diablo 3, effectively reduced by half, you're telling me it's more complicated and not simple enough for you realize this? lol... okay there?

So the next time you check that site please do the following. When you get to diabloprogeress.com please go characters and hit hero score. Then check the top ten in each class and you will see what I saw. That even some of the top ranked players are not using life steal in their gear. They are letting their skills handle that. Then some of them are not even using any life steal at all in either their gear or skills. So my point still stands.

You don't have a point if your flimsy argument can go either way. That's called being open-ended in making a point, which in reality has no value. Hero score and all this other blathering is digressing from what I said to begin with, facetank with ultra high dps and lifesteal, guess what? all the melee's do have lifesteal and ultra high dps, or glass cannon kiting, aka the ones who are ranged have no lifesteal, because they are just glass cannon. Saying some of this some of that, dude this isn't a chef's recipe, I made my point looked at diablo progress and fully confirmed such play styles are there and only there at top-end. 2 builds.

You on the other hand is the master of taking things out of context and twisting them into your perspective and leaving them open ended which in turn is like making a million points and if any of them backfire you choose the other million-1 points that will work.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 3/29/2013 1:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I believe the game you are looking for already exists, its called Path of Exile. Go play with there massive and unforgiving skill tree.
Reply Quote
03/29/2013 11:06 AMPosted by Khyras
Agree with OP. I like arpg games because they combine constant action of action games with depth and complexity of RPG games. More complexity and more choices for the player is always good in my book.

I see it the other way. Skill trees limit your choices in the long run because once you've spent hours getting your skills maxed out, there is no going back. If a skill gets patched/buffed, then you are S.O.L. if the skills you have maxed out are worse than the newly buffed one.
Reply Quote
Move the heck on already. 8+ months and you honestly think they are going to change the skill system. PoE has exactly what some of you want and it's FREE!
Reply Quote
03/29/2013 01:47 PMPosted by JonkZ
I believe the game you are looking for already exists, its called Path of Exile. Go play with there massive and unforgiving skill tree.

But remember there are no skills on the PoE skill tree. They are in gems. The skill tree is all passives.
Reply Quote
I saw an example of a skill tree modeled after d2 last night. It is from DB's latest D3 killer, the next D2. I just want you all to know I suffered thru until I hit a level to see it.
Reply Quote
...you guys keep missing the point by focusing on skill tree and D2: where is character customization in D3?
Not only the devs removed the skill tree (that and other things that were certainly not perfect in D2), but they just removed the all character customization concept.
Consequence: no feeling of attachment to the avatar, and leveling has no flavor; the purpose of it from 1 to 60 is to unlock the skills, nothing more than a tutorial. Parangon lvling slowly gives more power but no excitement.

For a pure action games the leveling mechanic might as well be removed. But for a franchise that shares some kind of RPG/ARPG culture, it feels something is missing.

^Exactly
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]