Diablo® III

"1 million players daily, around 3 million a month"

So much OCD
Reply Quote
Imagine if he said this before giving the statistic:

The auction houses were really successful because almost everyone used them. What a terrific feature that helped make D3 the greatest ARPG of all time!

He wouldn't be able to pull off the statistic that highly unbelievable without saying something bad (it wasn't a bad remark at all, just putting the supposed blame on the auction houses where people are supposedly discontent).

Instead, he said the auction houses hurt the game (there's a whole lot of stuff wrong with it other than the auction houses), so you would incline to believe any "positive" thing he says about it next. It's called PR aka propaganda. The fanboys would have defended any statistic he put out if they favored making the game look good ... if he said there were 6 million or 10 million users daily, they would defend it to the very end. 1 million users daily with no viable source or metric / no proof ... not buying it at all.
Reply Quote

It makes perfect sense. The 1 million per day means 1 million unique players per day, and the 3 million per month means 3 million unique players per month.

Of the 3 million players per month, 1/3rd of them, on average, logs in per day.

It's not that hard to figure out...

ROFL!

Someone didn't graduate highschool.

Do you know how many days there are in a month? If you have 1 million unique players per day, and you have 30 days in a month, how many unique players do you have at the end of the month, 3 million, or 30million?

Good lord, you're stupid.

In mathematics, an average is a measure of the "middle" or "typical" value of a data set. It is thus a measure of central tendency.

The 3 million per month is the "data set"... the 1 million per day is the average. It means that out of the 3 million unique players per month, an average of 1 million of them play daily.

You accuse ME of not finishing high school when you can't even grasp the basic concept of averages? I'm sorry if I can't explain it in terms more befitting your obviously less than average IQ.
Edited by Telliks#1734 on 3/31/2013 7:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Do you know that 90% of all gamers never finish their games? Or that that games that have longer time commitments are more likely to be abandoned?

D3 has a repetitive single player campaign that basically can never be finished and no competitive multiplayer. So in light of that and the nature of gaming today, 25% of players still playing is phenomenal.

what the !**!*** r u talking abt, when I beat diablo 3 on normal the credits rolled. Game Beaten. Oh my god, what are you smoking?

Well obviously you're too stupid to understand D3's metagame is an endless loot grind.

But I'll agree with what you said, and that you can finish D3. So D3 has a short single player campaign. For 25% of the people who stick around and replay a 1 year old game is phenomenal, don't you agree?
Reply Quote
03/29/2013 01:41 PMPosted by TwoCoins
We need actual data, from all over the world with average play time, and people who only do the ah only...also people who play from asia who play on NA region along with the number of players who play from the same machine.

We need actual data...before what? Before we say that the game isn't dead?

No, you are the one that needs data before you say that the game is dead.

So many of you actually believe that you get the final say in the matter - that Diablo 3 is a glaring disappointment and has failed utterly. You dismiss anything that speaks to the contrary. You make up sorry excuses, such as botters and 3 minute log-ons to explain away the 3 million playing.

Well, to you all I say, prove it. Prove that the 3 million are mostly botters and AH flippers. You are the one's making accusations, so put your money where your mouth is and prove it.

Right now, it's been said that 3 million play, and this coming from the game's creator. Anything after this is pure speculation rooted in personal sentiment and/or personal bias. It's inadmissible nonsense perpetrated by a vindictive community that wishes nothing more than for the success level of a product to mirror their level of butthurtness.
Reply Quote
"Dammit Blizzard, stop trying to make D3 like WoW, it isn't a MMO!"

"Dammit Blizzard, why isn't D3 keeping players in the same fashion a MMO does?"

I love these forums.
Reply Quote
Let's do a little deduction, people.

It's been said that the vast majority of those playing are botters. Okay, let's look at something.

3 million people play a month, with 1 million playing per day.

If the majority of the 3 million are bots, then why isn't it 3 million per month with 2.5 million per day?

Anyone botting is going to bot constantly. The fact that you have 3 million making up 1 million proves that at least 2 million human players play Diablo 3 per month.
Reply Quote
this is ridiculous.
Reply Quote
Deleted
Edited by DoMiNaTioN#1296 on 3/31/2013 4:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I find it hilarious that you think this is a good number.

The game was dead when the # dropped below 3-4 million daily players

Gold on 3rd party sites has gone to about $.07 per million... expect to see another floor removal on gold on the RMAH very soon, which means prices on perfect gear will continue to skyrocket to even more ridiculous numbers while the average player has no way to make even a few mill a day let alone anything close to what these good items will cost without either botting on several accounts or going and buying the gold.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/29/diablo-3-auction-house-jay-wilson/

So much for claims that Diablo 3 is dying.

More than 12 Million bought world wide. And those numbers are World wide to.
So 1/4 are still playing, now take into account the problem of rampant Bots, which is likely up to half of those numbers.
Reply Quote
On the confusion about 1m-3m;

Every day at least 1m people log in to the game, but some days these numbers can go up to 6m.

So we have 90m people playing total every month. Average 3m. But not everyday 3m logs in. 1m at least logs in every day. Maybe weekends that number goes up to 6m. That's how you balance it.

I say 1m of these are bots. I've been checking bot forum months before and I saw dozens of people using +100 bots. After banwaves they bought 200 more copies. In every damn public game there used to be at least 1 bot in EU only. I even saw 2 bots trying to follow each other. For botless games I fail to see, I feel free to add one from private games. So sue me, I'm sure at least 1/4 of these are bots. As I said before many just logs to see how AH is doing. At least 1 person in every 10 do that. End game players barely play, Nothing to go on after plvl100. Mid ones do flipping to earn enough to proceed to higher mlvls. It's a cycle. Only pre plvl50 people and after plvl80 and pre 60 are playing the game. Coz this is what game offers. You need tons of money to be able to run on high mlvls. At some point, you are too good for mp3 but not good enough for mp5. Nothing drops? Let's FLIP!

I see less and less than 500k legit players. If you try to see more, you're simply trying to fool yourselves. And to those who claim 500k is a phenamonal achievement; sales were what phenemonal. No game sold 12m ever. That's why you look at rates. If you take into account that 10m sales were actually sold (For just favor, I say 2m of those copies were free passes, I highly doubt that) and 5m were already gonna stop at the point when they finished normal (which is actually lower than that I'm pretty sure you all agree) out of 5m people who were ready to sell their souls to diablo only 500k of them is actually playing. Do you seriously think it's a good rate? 4.5m customers won't buy any blizzard product anymore. This slap will come with time, expansion or with d4.

No need to go all fanboi on this. Seriously you can see how the game is just by looking at the forums. A good game is measured only and ONLY by customer satisfaction. D3 is near close. On the other hand, look at LoL forums, PoE forums. I remember when LoL was first out, servers belonged to GoA and forums were filled with rage. They fixed it, and you can barely see any negative comment on big stuff. Even if you see one, they fix it in matter of weeks. And PoE? Game already confesses at loading screens that there would be bugs. It's an open beta, timeless till they fix every damn thing. And it is still fun. Class balance is an ongoing issue, yes, but hey, look at 1 yeard old game's barbarians! Who to compete with them at PvE?

Look, blizzard is being presumptious with his attitude, and not only Blizzard/Activision, every big company is doing that with unfinished games supplied with DLCs not to forget fifa example, and we, gaimg society need to start to get together or we will keep getting !@#$ty games every year now. Customers should start showing some brains before purchasing every game that is published and definetely punish companies with NOT buying their games. Look, this really has happened before in the industry. And we had a golden age. Now it is over. No one can stop big companies feeding whatever stuff they think would sell, without quality and hardwork, but customers only.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
03/29/2013 01:05 PMPosted by Anthaema
But people are claiming that because its like 12 million copies sold and less than 10% of those are playing. That means 90% quit.

Its not an MMO. A million players a day for a game that came out a year ago is a ton

When D3 hit, they said between 3 and 5 million people are still connecting to Battlenet to play D2 and its been out for 12 years.
Reply Quote

Are you f**king stupid? You really don't need a high school education to understand this. Most people play the game more than one day out of a month, Meaning if there's a million unique players on one day, and a million on the next (sticking with the average, keeping things simple, so your slow mind can keep up), then it's a fair assumption that maybe 700k of the players from the day before are now playing this next day, while 300k of them didn't play the day before (70% carryover per day). On the 3rd day you have maybe 60% of the original day playing for all 3 days, 70% playing day 2 and 3, so you've accounted for 600k+210k players, meaning 810 are returning players and 190k are playing for the first time this month. The math gets a bit more complicated the further you go out with players skipping days and playing again, but you're seeing the total unique players starting off with 1 mil on day 1, going up to 1.3mil by day 2, 1.49mil by day 3, and continuing to slow down until there are 3mil players who played at least once in that month, though most of them most likely played several times that month, or even most days of the month.

tl;dr: Each day isn't 1 million totally new players, it's 1 million unique players for that given day. 3mil a month makes total sense. 30mil a month would only work if everyone only played once a month.

You really have ZERO for brains don't you?

Lets break this down.

DAY 1 = 1 Million UNIQUE players.

Day 2 = 1 Million UNIQUE players. (These are not the same as the previous day as they are UNIQUE to this day).

Day 3 = 1 Million UNIQUE players. (These are not the same as the previous day as they are UNIQUE to this day).

Day 4... etc...

etc..

etc...

What I just listed above is the 1 Million unique players PER DAY.

At the end of DAY 3, how many UNIQUE PLAYERS have I had thus far? A total of 3 MILLION UNIQUE PLAYERS.

Follow this very basic math for 30 days.

How many unique players do I now have after 30 days (one month)? 3 Million unique players or 30 million unique players?

I'm glad most of you aren't studying to be structural engineers or physicians or this country would really be screwed.

Again; 1 Million unique players PER day, totals to 30 Million come the end of a 30 day period, or a month.

There is no OTHER WAY around this, unless you change the wording from "UNIQUE PLAYERS PER DAY" to something else.

lol no. "Unique players" per day means that even if one person logs on three times that day, they're only counted once. Once that day is over, they can be counted again for day 2... as 1 player for that day.

1 million players per day means that out of 3 million players per month, 1/3rd of those 3 million play per day.

It's not hard to figure out. The original quote that the entire argument is based on didn't even say "unique players".

Wilson claimed the entirety of Diablo 3′s community—1 million players daily and around 3 million per month,

You're an idiot if you can't understand basic mathematical averages.
Reply Quote
1 million people worldwide

in a game consumed by bots and gold spammers

and that number is only going down

you know just as many people play CoD even though its a sub par game

conclusion these numbers mean nothing D3 is not alive or dead just treading along
Reply Quote
03/31/2013 10:18 AMPosted by Jacara

Its not an MMO. A million players a day for a game that came out a year ago is a ton

When D3 hit, they said between 3 and 5 million people are still connecting to Battlenet to play D2 and its been out for 12 years.

You are lying.
Reply Quote

Are you f**king stupid? You really don't need a high school education to understand this. Most people play the game more than one day out of a month, Meaning if there's a million unique players on one day, and a million on the next (sticking with the average, keeping things simple, so your slow mind can keep up), then it's a fair assumption that maybe 700k of the players from the day before are now playing this next day, while 300k of them didn't play the day before (70% carryover per day). On the 3rd day you have maybe 60% of the original day playing for all 3 days, 70% playing day 2 and 3, so you've accounted for 600k+210k players, meaning 810 are returning players and 190k are playing for the first time this month. The math gets a bit more complicated the further you go out with players skipping days and playing again, but you're seeing the total unique players starting off with 1 mil on day 1, going up to 1.3mil by day 2, 1.49mil by day 3, and continuing to slow down until there are 3mil players who played at least once in that month, though most of them most likely played several times that month, or even most days of the month.

tl;dr: Each day isn't 1 million totally new players, it's 1 million unique players for that given day. 3mil a month makes total sense. 30mil a month would only work if everyone only played once a month.

You really have ZERO for brains don't you?

Lets break this down.

DAY 1 = 1 Million UNIQUE players.

Day 2 = 1 Million UNIQUE players. (These are not the same as the previous day as they are UNIQUE to this day).

Day 3 = 1 Million UNIQUE players. (These are not the same as the previous day as they are UNIQUE to this day).

Day 4... etc...

etc..

etc...

What I just listed above is the 1 Million unique players PER DAY.

At the end of DAY 3, how many UNIQUE PLAYERS have I had thus far? A total of 3 MILLION UNIQUE PLAYERS.

Follow this very basic math for 30 days.

How many unique players do I now have after 30 days (one month)? 3 Million unique players or 30 million unique players?

I'm glad most of you aren't studying to be structural engineers or physicians or this country would really be screwed.

Again; 1 Million unique players PER day, totals to 30 Million come the end of a 30 day period, or a month.

There is no OTHER WAY around this, unless you change the wording from "UNIQUE PLAYERS PER DAY" to something else.

Apparently we're all idiots and you're the only one that has the brain power to be an engineer or physician, so please show your math on how you calculated unique number of players in a month (30m) exceeds the number of game copies sold (12m)
Edited by Monsta#1979 on 3/31/2013 12:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]