Diablo® III

"1 million players daily, around 3 million a month"

03/31/2013 10:18 AMPosted by Jacara

Its not an MMO. A million players a day for a game that came out a year ago is a ton

When D3 hit, they said between 3 and 5 million people are still connecting to Battlenet to play D2 and its been out for 12 years.

I would like a source for this.
Reply Quote
03/31/2013 08:24 AMPosted by Darkul
We need actual data, from all over the world with average play time, and people who only do the ah only...also people who play from asia who play on NA region along with the number of players who play from the same machine.

We need actual data...before what? Before we say that the game isn't dead?

No, you are the one that needs data before you say that the game is dead.

So many of you actually believe that you get the final say in the matter - that Diablo 3 is a glaring disappointment and has failed utterly. You dismiss anything that speaks to the contrary. You make up sorry excuses, such as botters and 3 minute log-ons to explain away the 3 million playing.

Well, to you all I say, prove it. Prove that the 3 million are mostly botters and AH flippers. You are the one's making accusations, so put your money where your mouth is and prove it.

Right now, it's been said that 3 million play, and this coming from the game's creator. Anything after this is pure speculation rooted in personal sentiment and/or personal bias. It's inadmissible nonsense perpetrated by a vindictive community that wishes nothing more than for the success level of a product to mirror their level of butthurtness.

Gold is $0.25. Your move.
Reply Quote
I fail to see why people need to justify one way or the other the current "state" of the game. A LOT of people stopped playing it within the first few months, if that, simply due to the inherent flaws (over-reliance on GAH/RMAH, poor balance at endgame, lack of variety in viable playstyles/builds) in the original release of the game. While 1.4 and 1.5 have done their best to try to put pressure on a bleeding wound, the sad truth is many former players, such as myself, just gave up on this game (for the time being atleast) in lieu of other more promising prospects out there.

For those who still somehow manage to garner some level of enjoyment (and no, I don't mean the e-peen centric high-tier streamers and the like who simply play to showcase doing X more DPS than the next guy or how much loot they can multibox) then I'm happy for you. Hopefully some greater level of content in the future will bring us all back to this game, but until then, people need to accept the apparent truth, without the unnecessary and fruitless statistics.
Reply Quote
You really have ZERO for brains don't you?

Lets break this down.
Thanks for making me laugh. I can't wait to read the part of this thread when you figure out what is really meant by unique players. Google unique vs total visitors. (Unique visitor (or in this case players) means a single person who visits a website any number of times. For example, one unique visitor might make several unique visits to a website over a number of days.)
Reply Quote
PSA: You can never have more unique players than total number of games sold.
Reply Quote
http://www.statisticbrain.com/blizzard-entertainment-statistics/

Take what you want from this info, because I have no idea how valid this site is, but it does seem to be generally correct with the few companies I looked up. Info is only validated up until 7/20/2012 though.

D2: 4.2 million
D2 LOD: 1.2 million
D3: 6.8 million

We all know that current D3 numbers are currently far higher, but that doesn't really matter at this point because you can already infer some information from it.

So what does this mean? Many people that bought this game were new to the franchise and probably to the genre as well. This also means that a very large number of people wouldn't be considered to be "hardcore", and would likely beat the game and move on to the next one and not worry about the meta game.

Imagine if only people that bought and played d2 got d3 and we still had around 1 million unique daily players and 3 million monthly. Would it be considered to be a success then?
Reply Quote
Does logging in, checking your auctions to see if you made any real money selling your gear, then quickly logging out in disgust count as playing??
Reply Quote

Lets break this down.

DAY 1 = 1 Million UNIQUE players.

Day 2 = 1 Million UNIQUE players. (These are not the same as the previous day as they are UNIQUE to this day).

Day 3 = 1 Million UNIQUE players. (These are not the same as the previous day as they are UNIQUE to this day).

Day 4... etc...

etc..

etc...

What I just listed above is the 1 Million unique players PER DAY.

At the end of DAY 3, how many UNIQUE PLAYERS have I had thus far? A total of 3 MILLION UNIQUE PLAYERS.

Follow this very basic math for 30 days.

How many unique players do I now have after 30 days (one month)? 3 Million unique players or 30 million unique players?

I'm glad most of you aren't studying to be structural engineers or physicians or this country would really be screwed.

Again; 1 Million unique players PER day, totals to 30 Million come the end of a 30 day period, or a month.

There is no OTHER WAY around this, unless you change the wording from "UNIQUE PLAYERS PER DAY" to something else.

lol no. "Unique players" per day means that even if one person logs on three times that day, they're only counted once. Once that day is over, they can be counted again for day 2... as 1 player for that day.

1 million players per day means that out of 3 million players per month, 1/3rd of those 3 million play per day.

It's not hard to figure out. The original quote that the entire argument is based on didn't even say "unique players".

Wilson claimed the entirety of Diablo 3′s community—1 million players daily and around 3 million per month,

You're an idiot if you can't understand basic mathematical averages.

No, you are the idiot for failing to grasp simple math.

Day one has a number of players, players that are unique to that particular day.

Day two has a number of players, players that are unique to that particular day. There may be some day one people in this number - but regardless, the "million today" is not defined by yesterday's players, but rather, today's players.

Day three has a number of players, the combination of which is unique to this particular day - even though there may be some players that were on the previous two days, this isn't the point. The point is, today is a million that may or may not be different from days previous. This million is unique to this day.

At the end of the month, there are 3 million players that have logged on, players unique to that particular month. Not all of which may have been on previous months, or will be on future months.

Do you get it? Need me to break it down into pre-k level? Sure?

Kay.
Edited by Darkul#1370 on 3/31/2013 12:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/29/2013 03:14 PMPosted by Alyss
no arpg with more then 1 mil active players is out now, d3 is still the most successful arpg game in present time, I knew it, the king is back, thanks blizz, cant wait for the expansion :)

It's people like you that scare the !@#$ out of me..
Reply Quote
03/31/2013 01:17 PMPosted by Caremeter
no arpg with more then 1 mil active players is out now, d3 is still the most successful arpg game in present time, I knew it, the king is back, thanks blizz, cant wait for the expansion :)

It's people like you that scare the !@#$ out of me..

Its just fans in denial.
Reply Quote

Lets break this down.

Day 2 = 1 Million UNIQUE players. (These are not the same as the previous day as they are UNIQUE to this day).

Day 3 = 1 Million UNIQUE players. (These are not the same as the previous day as they are UNIQUE to this day).

Day 4... etc...

etc..

etc...

At the end of DAY 3, how many UNIQUE PLAYERS have I had thus far? A total of 3 MILLION UNIQUE PLAYERS.

How many unique players do I now have after 30 days (one month)? 3 Million unique players or 30 million unique players?

I'm glad most of you aren't studying to be structural engineers or physicians or this country would really be screwed.

Again; 1 Million unique players PER day, totals to 30 Million come the end of a 30 day period, or a month.

There is no OTHER WAY around this, unless you change the wording from "UNIQUE PLAYERS PER DAY" to something else.

Reading this drivel is embarrassing. I genuinely hope you aren't studying anything related to engineering, science or logic in general.

First off, the phrasing is entirely correct. 1 million unique players per day obviously means the uniqueness of a player is only relevant for that day. From which it follows, quite simply, that the same player can be counted as a unique player on several different days. This is very elementary logic, so you should now start to understand that 'per day' actually means per day! So they count a unique log-in.

If it was 'unique players per month per day,' you would be correct. But it's not, and you're not. Friggin' joke.
Reply Quote

Lets break this down.

Day 4... etc...

etc..

etc...

Reading this drivel is embarrassing. I genuinely hope you aren't studying anything related to engineering, science or logic in general.

First off, the phrasing is entirely correct. 1 million unique players per day obviously means the uniqueness of a player is only relevant for that day. From which it follows, quite simply, that the same player can be counted as a unique player on several different days. This is very elementary logic, so you should now start to understand that 'per day' actually means per day! So they count a unique log-in.

If it was 'unique players per month per day,' you would be correct. But it's not, and you're not. Friggin' joke.
I agree 100% with you. I may have commented to the wrong person above because of all the quotations, but this is also what I was trying to get across.
Reply Quote
I think a majority of these are bots.

Last time I got back into D2 there were usually around 20k accounts on US east simultaneously at any given time, and I knew a ton of people who ran 4-8 bots 24/7 and a few people who ran close to 100 bots or more.

And that's just people I knew personally so there were definitely a lot more.

In D2 I think around 3/4 of the total online at any time were probably bots and I don't see why it would be different in D3
Reply Quote
03/29/2013 12:56 PMPosted by Fathme
i dont think anyone can give an exact number, but a big percentage of that 1million are bots i would say.

bahahah, i laughed when i saw this.
oh sorry, i was laughing at you, not at what you said. ;x
Edited by zucchini#1177 on 3/31/2013 2:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/31/2013 12:25 PMPosted by Monsta
PSA: You can never have more unique players than total number of games sold.

for nothing you can.
Reply Quote
03/31/2013 01:47 PMPosted by BERSERKER

Well , with people thinking that this is true all i can figure is that we are all doomed.
Reply Quote
The biggest indicator is your friend's list.

Out of 13 people from my friends list since launch, 8 of them have been gone for 90+ days. D3 sold 12+ million copies, if only 2-5 million people are playing based on your information (many being bots of course)... then it's a bad indicator for what's to come. It hasn't even been a year since launch and the game dropped 50-70% of its player base, that's huge, especially for a Blizzard title.

The game's still in bad shape OP, Mike Morhaime wouldn't have issued a letter of apology otherwise.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]