Diablo® III

"1 million players daily, around 3 million a month"

Diablo 3 sucks and Wish I never bought it. I wish I could give my account away
Reply Quote
03/31/2013 09:51 PMPosted by Shrew
1 million players daily, 3 million players a month. Those numbers are insane. Most games are lucky to sell that many copies, let alone have a retention rate like that.

They weren't "lucky" to sell that many copies. They had over 10 years of people waiting for the game, building the most intense anticipation you can even imagine. They had a wonderful advertising campaign before release. They were going to sell 12 million copies regardless of the content and quality of the game, because of the hype and Blizzard's wonderful talent at making everything seem better than it really is, or at least long enough to get your money.

Copy pasta from Wikipedia:

"Before its release, Diablo III broke several presale records and became the most pre-ordered PC game to date on Amazon.com.[96] Activision Blizzard reported that Diablo III had broken the one-day PC sales records, accumulating over 3.5 million sales in the first 24 hours after release and over 6.3 million sales in its first week, including the 1.2 million people who obtained Diablo III through the World of Warcraft annual pass.[97] On its first day, the game amassed 4.7 million players worldwide, an estimate which includes those who obtained the game via the World of Warcraft annual pass.[97] In its second quarterly report, Diablo III was reported to have pushed Activision Blizzard's expectations. As of July 2012, more than 10 million people had played the game.[98] Diablo III remains the fastest selling PC game to date, and also one of the best-selling PC video games. As of the end of 2012, it had sold more than 12 million copies.[5] As of March 2013, Blizzard stated that Diablo III had around 1 million daily players, with 3 million unique players each month.[99]"

Please note the "As of July 2012, more than 10 million people had played the game."
This means after only one month of the game being released, more than 10 million people had bought the game. This means a large majority of the players got the game before they or any of their peers realized the game was horrible. It's fun for your first few playthroughs, but that's it. So 10 million of the 12 million copies sold were sold before the majority of the playerbase even knew the game was just wrapped up in nice wrapping paper and had no real substance in the end.

Point is, they didn't sell 12 million copies based on the quality of the game. Advertising and hype played a major, if not the biggest part.
Reply Quote
Omg this thread is annoying me, even though no one will read this i need to get my two cents in.

if you are going to say the game suck why on earth are you on this forum you have no right (of course you do but for all intensive purposes you don't) to come on these forums which are supposed to be constructive and helpful for us who still enjoy the game and talk bad about a game that we still enjoy if you have a problem with this game that much that you have to do this then you may or may not have have a problem. so please don't post here on the forums if its only going to be negative towards the game. So please stay of these forums if you don't like the game.
Reply Quote
Omg this thread is annoying me, even though no one will read this i need to get my two cents in.

if you are going to say the game suck why on earth are you on this forum you have no right (of course you do but for all intensive purposes you don't) to come on these forums which are supposed to be constructive and helpful for us who still enjoy the game and talk bad about a game

if you are going to say that your amazon purchase is suck why on earth would you go to the amazon review page to give it a negative review? You have no right to get the product that was promised to you.

you're totally right, you should accept defective products, allow corrupt politicians, and suck it up when you're in an abusive relationship
Reply Quote

if you are going to say the game suck why on earth are you on this forum you have no right (of course you do but for all intensive purposes you don't) to come on these forums which are supposed to be constructive and helpful for us who still enjoy the game and talk bad about a game that we still enjoy if you have a problem with this game that much that you have to do this then you may or may not have have a problem. so please don't post here on the forums if its only going to be negative towards the game. So please stay of these forums if you don't like the game.

What the burning hells is an "intensive" purpose!?
Reply Quote

What the burning hells is an "intensive" purpose!?

An intensive purpose is purpose that does not depend on the size of the purpose. An extensive one is a purpose that depends on the size of the purpose. If you have a problem with that you may or you may not have a problem with it.
Edited by BPPSY#1858 on 4/1/2013 3:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/01/2013 12:41 AMPosted by mellowman

"For all intents and purposes". There, you learnt something today.

And no, if a game's forum is only going to be sugar-coated praise and lovely kind words all over, that's even more detrimental to the game.

Think of it as tough love.
Reply Quote
04/01/2013 03:42 AMPosted by Rhyas9

"For all intents and purposes". There, you learnt something today.

And no, if a game's forum is only going to be sugar-coated praise and lovely kind words all over, that's even more detrimental to the game.

I don't think of it as tough love as much as I think of it as "truth".

All that's being communicated is unadulterated truth.
Reply Quote
04/01/2013 03:42 AMPosted by Rhyas9

With friends like these, who needs enemies?
Reply Quote
04/01/2013 03:50 AMPosted by Ringo
With friends like these, who needs enemies?

Concerning us and Jay Wilson, let the record state...."he started it". :p
Reply Quote
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/29/diablo-3-auction-house-jay-wilson/

So much for claims that Diablo 3 is dying.

In korea they counting HOURS SPEND in a game as well as logins to game servers. If mr.Wilson wants to play the numbers game , he should tell us how much actually the login players playing.

Because i do login 5-10 times per month though almost 2 months now ive gained 2 paragon levels , from 41 to 43 ... If that is his success. GRATZ MR WILSON! It took you only 8 years to understand all those "bad decisions" and only 10 months to destroy one of the most hyped and best selling game in video game history. Gratz!
Edited by Azatis#2345 on 4/1/2013 4:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/01/2013 04:57 AMPosted by Azatis
In korea they counting HOURS SPEND in a game as well as logins to game servers. If mr.Wilson wants to play the numbers game , he should tell us how much actually the login players playing.

Now are you just making this up or do you have anything to substantiate that ?
Reply Quote
this should have been said today Jay
Edited by FrozenTS#2718 on 4/1/2013 5:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Well that 3 million that log in during a month is kinda off. I mean how long are they logging in for. Blizzard releases a patch every so often to are they logging in trying it for a day or two and then that counts...I dont think 25% retention for this game is good. I mean how much retention did D2 have 4 years out? probably more than 25%.
Reply Quote
Pretty much everybody in this thread is being dumb
Reply Quote

if you are going to say that your amazon purchase is suck why on earth would you go to the amazon review page to give it a negative review? You have no right to get the product that was promised to you.

you're totally right, you should accept defective products, allow corrupt politicians, and suck it up when you're in an abusive relationship

Yes, because whining on a game's forum is exactly like fighting back in an abusive relationship. Plus, I don't know of many people that go onto a game's forums to get a review. They usually go to the Amazon page, or wherever the hell they bought the game from. OR they make an impulse purchase based on years of anticipation for a sequel without doing any research, then complain about all the features Blizzard didn't hide from us.
Reply Quote
So just so I'm understanding what most of this thread is saying, successful games should never ever have a drop in its player base? Like, we're expecting everyone who bought this game to play it all the time right? Just trying to be clear here
Reply Quote
04/01/2013 06:24 AMPosted by Zeus
So just so I'm understanding what most of this thread is saying, successful games should never ever have a drop in its player base? Like, we're expecting everyone who bought this game to play it all the time right? Just trying to be clear here

Exactly.. if 12 million players purchase the game, then one year later, exactly 12 million players should log in every day or the game is dying, a failure etc...
Reply Quote
04/01/2013 06:20 AMPosted by Zeus
they make an impulse purchase based on years of anticipation for a sequel without doing any research,

what you think people actually 'research' before buying a sequel to one of IF NOT the best arpg's the world has ever seen?

If Avatar 2 and Avengers 2 was to be released on the big screen tomorrow would you just go to the cinemas and watch it or would you make sure you read the reviews first, made sure you knew every actor that was going to be in it, who the director was, how long the movie goes for, what the price of the ticket was....yeah my bloody !@#.

let's be honest here, blizz were relying on D1,D2's reputation to sell the game.
we all trusted blizzard and the franchise name of Diablo because they were nothing but successful in the past. oh we were very wrong.

BTW, the box didn't saying anything about team pvp being delayed for 9+ months, the game being nerfed to the ground to cater for cry babies, elemental damage effects being nerfed, rampant uncontrolled botting, compromisation of game dynamics due to a hidden intent to port to consoles, virtually no end game, or constantly crappy drops with no real value in itemization..

oh right...it's because we didn't RESEARCH...*sarcasm*
Edited by Saberfenix#1119 on 4/1/2013 7:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]