Diablo® III

SO much unused potential :(

TLDR:
- Suggestions on fixing itemization on 2 examples.
- Going back to the roots: Finding items yourself
- Implementing more items that are tailored for the use of specific skills to create more builts
- Endless dungeon

I came back about a week ago to see what has changed in D3 since I last played actively in November.
I had fun farming those demonic essences and craft items, but I think their drop rate is way too low and the crafting costs are way too high.

However, I like the idea of it since I am the first to say that you should be able to obtain all items simply through farming and not playing the AH.
Unfortunately this is not the case at the moment.
For example: In my 60k elite kills I found one Mempo of Twilight and 2 echoing furys. They were all useless junk.
Of all the pieces I wear only 2 are self-found, and this is just not what a farming game is supposed to be like.

Furthermore, estimatedly 95% of all players are and will not be able to compete agains flippers or players who spent real money.
I'll use the mempo as an example again here: As soon as there is a perfect one on the gold AH, it is immediately max bidded. The buyer most likely relists it on the RMAH to make profit.

This is the biggest problem right now, you can't find upgrades yourself and once you reach a certain point every upgrade costs billions, which you will never achieve while playing the game without flipping/investing real money.

That was the first major flaw I currently see in D3 and I hope this will be changed soon. Nearly all legendaries need to be re-designed since most of them are just useless.
I am not only speaking about buffing their base stats here, which definitely needs to be done though, but I am rather thinking of creating items that will be the heart of your built.

One example how I would imagine a re-design:

Andariels visage currently:

+46–50 Poison Resistance
Attack Speed Increased by 8–9%
Regenerates 161–234 Life per Second
Critical Hit Chance Increased by 4.5%
5–25% more Fire damage taken.
20–40% chance to cast a Poison Nova when you are hit.
One of 3 Magic Properties (varies)
+150–169 Intelligence
+150–169 Dexterity
+150–169 Strength
+1 Random Magic Properties

Andariels visage re-designed:

+50-100 Poison Resistance
Attack Speed Increased by 8–9%
Critical Hit Chance Increased by 4.5-6%

35–50% chance to cast a Poison Nova when you are hit. The poison nova's radius is 15 yards, enemies in that radius start losing life based on your dps for 5 seconds as poison damage.
One of 3 Magic Properties (varies)
+150–200 Intelligence
+150–200 Dexterity
+150–200 Strength
Has a socket
Cursed: User loses 200-500 life per second

Explanation:

- I changed the poison resistance to 50-100 because I think a single resistance should not roll lower than all resist. (I am aware of the impact on OwE but this can be adjusted)

- I increased the crit chance and added a socket because I want alternatives to a Mempo of Twilight

- I altered the poison nova because the current one is useless. Imagine how badass it would be to spawn one with this radius that actually does useful damage? This is how legendary items should be in my opinion, they should all have some kind of special ability/use.
- Also, to make the item balanced, I added the "cursed" status where the user loses life instead of taking more fire damage. The amount is just a random number and it could also be something like "cursed: The user takes more damage from a [certain monster type]" etc.

Furthermore I think we need way more items like the three hundred spear that you simply want to built your character around. There are not enough specs at the moment, f.e. every barbarian plays whirlwind, Hota/Rend or maybe a throwing barb which is nearly the same as a WW built.
Same with wizards, either CM or archon.
2-3 builts per class are just not enough.
This could be changed by implementing items like this:

Burning axe of sanxis currently:
+(112–296)–(261–687) Fire Damage
Adds 5–6% to Fire Damage
Fire skills deal 15–25% more damage.
+36–40% Damage
+46–50 Fire Resistance
Each Hit Adds +449–657 Life
Chance to fight through the pain when enemies hit you.

Completely unusable in 100% of the cases! :(

Burning axe re-designed:

Dps varies between 800-1200
Adds 5–6% to Fire Damage
Fire skills deal 25% more damage.
+50-100 Fire Resistance
Has a socket
2 random properties

Increases damage done by [certain skill] by [certain percentage]%
Reduces cooldown/casting cost from [certain skill] by [certain time] and [certain amount of resource]

F.e. let's take the barbarian skill "leap" here which currently nobody is using because its dps is super low.
Imagine a basic buff of that skill in terms of buffing it's base damage and removing the cooldown combined with this weapon that adds another 50% damage to leap.

No you have a new barbarian class that can leap around, which would be tons of fun.

And before you complain about barbarians, this was just an example of how to make an unused skill useful and fun and the method can be used for every skill.

Another example for wizards:
Imagine the same with hydra! I LOVED the ability when D3 came out since the animation is so badass! But the dps is just way too low.
Now picture having this axe with 1200 dps, a socket, 70% crit chance and on top of that an increased hydra damage of 50%!
One could also create a wizard source that helps this built even more, for example a source that allows you to cast 6 instead of 3 hydras. (Not my idea, I read that somewhere on the forums)

Anyways, besides the itemization which is the biggest flaw in D3 I can only ask/wish for one more thing:

An endless dungeon.

Mob density, map size and elite number similar to vault of the assassin.
You can proceed to the next level as soon as you killed all elites in this area, f.e. a red portal appears after killing the last one.
Every 10-15 levels there appears a random boss. Here I'd love to see old bosses like Baal or Mephisto as well...oh man I'm getting excited just thinking about this.
With every boss you kill your chance to get a legendary from the next boss could raise by 0.1 % etc. and you'd also get other bonuses after every boss kill like plus 10% MF, +1 pickup radius, +1 movement speed and so on.

The point of this horribly long post is: D3 has potential to be the best game in its genre. It could be even better than D2 if it goes back to its roots of success: Item farming, trading, boss hunting, multiplayer.

All this can be achieved and I hope that it will be since I lost the enthusiasm to continue playing D3 only one week after my "comeback".

Sorry for the long post, if you agree with this then please bump it so maybe this gets to the devs and D3 gets what we all expected it to be!
Reply Quote
No.
Reply Quote
04/29/2013 07:26 AMPosted by ImpKing
No.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/003/617/okayguy.jpg
Reply Quote
Reply Quote
Reply Quote
Reply Quote
Reply Quote
Well itemization should be addressed... We wait for 1.0.9 probably...
Reply Quote
04/29/2013 10:00 AMPosted by Nishrek

I really hope it will be in 1.0.9...the game is brain damaging at the moment due to the repetitiveness without any rewards :/
Reply Quote
View profile
They are working hard on coming up with the changes to itemization. So all of the ideas that players have submitted to them might even make it to the game.

Also I say that they need three different ways of getting the gear that you want.

1. Old tried and true method of actually finding the gear. Now if you want to find a godly rolled BiS that should still take some time. But with alternative pieces that would still be good for you that you would have a better chance to find than a BiS godly rolled piece of gear.

2. Next they could give us a way to use the blacksmith to take a piece of rare gear and with the right mats and gold. Where we could craft the item that we want. That would even include uptiering items just like the Jeweler can upgrade gems.

3. I would like to see Blizz add in a new piece of gear. It might be BiS for some classes and builds, but not in all cases. This new type of gear would be called gem words. They would be similar to the rune words of D2. The gemstones could even be seen as pieces of the worldstone that was shattered. Where those shards still contain a lot of power and can help the heroes of sanctuary. Also give the jeweler the ability to upgrade the rune to the next highest class with the right mats and gold.

4. Better affixes where all affixes are useful in some way to our characters. We do not need a ton of useless affixes so we can separate a useless one from a useful one. A choice of one affix over another should be based on the class and spec. Not the fact that one affix is totally junk. I mean why have any bad affixes at all. Ones that are totally useless for all players. That is a waste of time and effort to make such an affix.

If they do the above and maybe more then itemization will be fixed once and for all time. Then you will see a huge up swing in the amount of players playing. That 3 million number could easily soar to 6 million+.
Edited by ShadowAegis#1537 on 4/29/2013 11:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
They are working hard on coming up with the changes to itemization. So all of the ideas that players have submitted to them might even make it to the game.

Also I say that they need three different ways of getting the gear that you want.

1. Old tried and true method of actually finding the gear. Now if you want to find a godly rolled BiS that should still take some time. But with alternative pieces that would still be good for you that you would have a better chance to find than a BiS godly rolled piece of gear.

2. Next they could give us a way to use the blacksmith to take a piece of rare gear and with the right mats and gold. Where we could craft the item that we want. That would even include uptiering items just like the Jeweler can upgrade gems.

3. I would like to see Blizz add in a new piece of gear. It might be BiS for some classes and builds, but not in all cases. This new type of gear would be called gem words. They would be similar to the rune words of D2. The gemstones could even be seen as pieces of the worldstone that was shattered. Where those shards still contain a lot of power and can help the heroes of sanctuary. Also give the jeweler the ability to upgrade the rune to the next highest class with the right mats and gold.

4. Better affixes where all affixes are useful in some way to our characters. We do not need a ton of useless affixes so we can separate a useless one from a useful one. A choice of one affix over another should be based on the class and spec. Not the fact that one affix is totally junk. I mean why have any bad affixes at all. Ones that are totally useless for all players. That is a waste of time and effort to make such an affix.

If they do the above and maybe more then itemization will be fixed once and for all time. Then you will see a huge up swing in the amount of players playing. That 3 million number could easily soar to 6 million+.

Very good read! I agree with your points and I'd love to see especially crafting become viable for getting upgrades. The chances now are just too low considering the time and effort you have to put into crafting and obtaining the materials/gold.

What I'd love to see is something similar to Path of exile where you could re-roll stats on items.
I f.e. have crafted near perfect shoulders with 299 strength, 120 vitality, 12% life, about 600 armor total but no all res and dexterity instead. I'd wish I could re-roll that dexterity roll over and over until I get my all res roll.
For that, the simple implementation of a new item is necessary. This item could only drop from bosses with let's say a 5% chance and allow you what I mentioned above.

Thus boss fights are not only worth playing again, but we also can create our own gear!
Reply Quote
Reply Quote
You do realize that this game has a logarithmic gear curve right so that translates to an exponential cost of that super mega top end gear. This means in the beginning gear/upgrades come fairly quickly, then even out, then become increasing rare.

Even is Blizzs 75% less but 75% better items were in place, you would still have the exact same problem. Everyone wants perfect gear in every slot. The pieces that do roll perfect are and will continue to be extremely rare and expensive. Its the nature of the beast with a static gear pool.

Of course, Blizz could add better items and reset the curve, but then others can, will, and have complained when this happens. How many people have biitched that gear that went for 100s of M 6 months ago is now worthless due to changes? Im all for new content, and maybe new gear that is equally powerful as current gear, but not more powerful gear. I would save that kind of boost for an xpac.
Reply Quote
04/29/2013 10:00 AMPosted by Nishrek

Yes idd

04/29/2013 07:21 AMPosted by Kyrone
- Endless dungeon

I always liked to endless dungeon idea, it reminds me in a way of D1 :) just imagine the possibilities of what could be done
Reply Quote
04/29/2013 01:23 PMPosted by Vanhioss

Yes idd

- Endless dungeon

I always liked to endless dungeon idea, it reminds me in a way of D1 :) just imagine the possibilities of what could be done

How does an endless dungeon remind if you D1? There was no such thing in D1. In fact, monster loot was created when the level was made, not when you kill the monster, so if you died and reloaded, you would get the same drops. D1 was nowhere near endless, it just had random maps with very finite limits.
Reply Quote
04/29/2013 01:10 PMPosted by hellmonkey
Im all for new content, and maybe new gear that is equally powerful as current gear, but not more powerful gear.

That's what I'd like to see as well, a patch that brings ALL the crappy legendaries on par with the current useful ones. Balance.
Currently you have all players aim for the exact same gear:
Mempo, Echoing Fury, Witching hour, Vile Ward and so on...

In addition all players have more or less the exact same builts, 2-3 builts per class, which is not really what Diablo should be like.

Both can be fixed by overthinking itemization...
Reply Quote
View profile

Very good read! I agree with your points and I'd love to see especially crafting become viable for getting upgrades. The chances now are just too low considering the time and effort you have to put into crafting and obtaining the materials/gold.

What I'd love to see is something similar to Path of exile where you could re-roll stats on items.
I f.e. have crafted near perfect shoulders with 299 strength, 120 vitality, 12% life, about 600 armor total but no all res and dexterity instead. I'd wish I could re-roll that dexterity roll over and over until I get my all res roll.
For that, the simple implementation of a new item is necessary. This item could only drop from bosses with let's say a 5% chance and allow you what I mentioned above.

Thus boss fights are not only worth playing again, but we also can create our own gear!

I would say that it would be better if you could just add all resist to those shoulders. Because with rerolling stats chances are the other stats might not be there are wind up being too low to be an actual upgrade.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]