Diablo® III

The purpose of an ARPG

How I feel we could improve the game:

Crowd Control:
Remove unavoidable crowd control. CC you cannot avoid is frustrating, and never fun. Give every CC ability a visual/sound effect, give jailer a delay, give nightmare a travel time, etc. Frozen is a great example of a CC that works well, its potentially very dangerous and can be avoided.

Events:
Make event rewards worthwhile. 820g is in no way a sufficient reward for completing these tasks. A Resplendent chest/rare pack per event should be mandatory. Completing an event should always provide a stack of NV.

Resplendent Chests:
Increase Resplendent chest spawn rate. I don't know what happened to the resplendent chest. I started playing the game a few weeks ago after a hiatus of a few months, and I've found two since I've come back. Both were in act two, haven't seen one in any other act (and I've been farming keys, so I've been running most acts). I know that they were ruining the economy when the game launched, but they can't be making a difference now - buff their spawn rate/locations back to what they were when the game launched.

It's a Trap!
Introduce more environmental effects (Traps, mines, summoners, etc). The ones currently in game stop providing any challenge at all past MP 1. Consider augmenting the damage of these traps, instead giving them a wide range of potentially long lasting, potentially stacking debuffs. If you currently ignore the game environment while farming, this could provide some form of challenge which keeps you focused on where you are, instead of just on how many mobs there are on screen. This could also provide more tactical opportunities against particularly difficult elite affix combos.

Builds:
I have never agreed that there should be penalty for changing abilities during play. If a player wants to waste 30 seconds to a minute changing their spec before they fight a particular affix combo, why should this affect their magic find and gold find? It already takes them longer than someone who just sticks to one build for the whole session, especially if they experiment with builds on the fly, which was something I had a lot of fun doing before NV was introduced . Why should they suffer magic find penalties, gold find penalties, and clear time penalties? In order to engage an elite strategically, you need a build which exploits the weaknesses of their affixes. Allow on the fly change, keep the minute ability swap CD (for clear time penalty) and let players keep their NV stacks.

Content:
Introduce more content, more regularly. Biggest issue I feel with the game; there's nothing to do but farm items and paragon levels - which, don't get me wrong, is what the game is all about. However, if I'm not looking forward to events and I've been stuck in act three for months (OK, so personally I haven't, but I understand that to be where most people are farming; could be wrong), it might be nice if there were new items constantly being added to the game, or new content like more dungeons (which, I guess, is being addressed with monster density changes in 1.0.8, because we'll have incentive to farm acts other than the third).

I'm not talking about introducing new tiers of items, but perhaps a shift into some purely aesthetic items? Introduce a new slot for items which just change the look of your character and give each boss in each act a different one, and some special ones that only spawn in event locations (Like a chicken hat which is guaranteed to drop from a chest at the end of the fowl lair, for example).

Conclusion (TL DR):
Adjust some of the unavoidable CC, buff event rewards, buff resplendent chest spawns, buff environment traps, remove ability swap NV penalty (keep ability swap CD penalty), release more content more often, introduce a new form of visual augmentation dropped by specific bosses and events.
Reply Quote
While I do agree with some of the things the OP says, there are some opinions I have and would like to offer my 2 cents.

1) I enjoy rolling around and through mobs with my AOE whirlwind skill. I find it fun, and in regards to your not allowing to pass through mobs - I have to disagree because a skill like this SHOULD pass through them.

I completely support the ability to have a decision on certain playstyles, but much of the reason diablo 2 had different playstyles was because of PvP. PvP in D2 - completely player driven with ZERO developer intervention.....and GREAT!!! Please bring back non-instanced towns, the ability to make named games, and hostility for out of town duels.

2) I believe the strategic placement of the character that already exists is quite enough for a Diablo game. Avoiding arcane beams, escaping the radius of molten explosions, avoiding the slow power strikes of large enemies is quite enough for me.

3) It is much more than nostalgia speaking when I say that the skills and itemization (which is known) are FAR superior in D2....This one is off topic, but it's sad to me. I also don't like the super large numbers. Please with 2000+ strength and 50k health doing hundreds of thousands of damage. Come on....why?
Reply Quote
05/01/2013 08:01 AMPosted by Lokostrike89
I'm not talking about introducing new tiers of items, but perhaps a shift into some purely aesthetic items? Introduce a new slot for items which just change the look of your character and give each boss in each act a different one, and some special ones that only spawn in event locations (Like a chicken hat which is guaranteed to drop from a chest at the end of the fowl lair, for example).

This is a huge problem with D3 - tiers of items. They existed to a degree in D2 with the nightmare/hell versions of items, but in D3 the higher tier items are pretty much ALWAYS better than the lower tiered ones because of stat rolls for items with a higher iLvl. Many items found throughout all difficulties were useful at level 99 in D2.

Diablo 2 was such a great game. I'm not sure why Diablo 3 didn't follow in its footsteps.
Edited by DVDA#1208 on 5/1/2013 8:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Sorry, but I find it stupid when people give the "Oh, but you can make it harder if you wish" when someone says the game lacks difficulty.

Inferno at launch was REALLY punishing and I, playing a monk since then, couldn't progress beyond A3 even with 1200+ Resil and 6k Armor at the time, simply due to how little dps I had to have and how much punishing elites were...BUT

With that said, the whole point about D3 is bragging rights. People want to keep acquiring gear beyond what they need to complete the game and to clear higher MPs simply because they want people to look at their chars and go "ohhhh" or they want to feel even more powerful each time.

I dunno why when they put MP in place they kept it at 10. To me, sincerely an awesome "endgame" content would be the endless pits of hells that many people talk from time to time, including myself already gave feedback on that.
An infinite dungeon where you keep going down and every level further random generates from a selection from every map in the game and each level further or every 3 levels further the MP AUTOMATICALLY increases by 1 and the loot in there is soulbound and can roll better and better the further down you are.

Also, balance between classes - while you guys have stated you don't really psych about class balance in D3, it's REALLY annoying to have some grossly outperforming classes/builds in a game where your farming speed > your chance to get better gear.

Oh, to finish your stupid WoW line of thinking was brought to D3 PVP as well on "oh, oh, we don't want to create another game to balance PVP" - its clear PVP as is would be broken...many 1 shots, many unbalanced skills as is.
Reply Quote
I feel everyone's pain with D3. My frustration is different though, as it does not come from the AH, Barb skill synergies, or even the inane itemization. There seem to be two bigger problems: lack of strategy, and lack of content.

Seems that the purpose of an ARPG is to demonstrate three primary concepts, which when done fast enough, and accurately enough, translate into 'fun':

1. Strategic placement of character
2. Strategic use/placement of skills
3. Ability to quickly respond to environment and patterns.

When we play the game in normal mode. We can use traps, walls to kill the zombies. That was so awesome. But in inferno we never use it. I wish it come back even in inferno

I would love to see a map where when we start a fight VS elite or bosses. The ground starts to fall into deeps!. So using Strategic use/placement of skills of skill we would be able to kill those monters!

Its my dream!
Edited by Minare#1612 on 5/1/2013 8:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Two words: Uber Belial.
Reply Quote

Diablo 3 challenges me on all fronts:

2. The key builds do not significantly consider the placement of skills. There is typically only one skill utilized, and that skill typically does massive AOE damage centered on the path of the player.
3. Complexity and speed do not change. The game does not alter fundamental mechanics between Normal and Inferno. Speed does not change. There is ONLY the scaling of damage and health, with the exception of a few monster affixes, most of which are not particularly strategic, but instant and automatic.

totally agree. Dont need to go far, take a look at D2:
normal difficulty - quite easy for all classes, any build can kill mobs/bosses
nightmare - a bit difficulty, you start to face immune elites sometime - a bit difficulty - still can complete the game with any build
hell - huge jump of difficulty - all mobs are immune to single damage type, elites can have 2 immunes, char resistances debuff to -100, this difficulty could not be passed without good gear and well prepared skills and build, still even very good prepared char could be slained by white immune mob - that was a challenge!

in D3 - just a scaling mobs hp and char dps - all mobs can be killed in any build, the main conception in D3 - more ehp/ more dos and 3%lifestell - any you will own everything in this game. Besides, in D2 you had to seek for party that could deal deferent type of damage to kill immunes fast and effective. I hope who played D2 lod in battle will understand and support me.
Reply Quote
View profile
Wow the OP's initial post is great, I'm reading through this whole thread. This is the exact type of thing I've been trying to get out of this game.
Reply Quote
Just admit it, NIGHTMARISH and JAILER are NOT FUN. There has got to be a way to implement stuff better than taking control away from the player. The very mechanics of the game force players to outgear content, because there is no way to outskill that.

Also WALLER being able to completely box in a player is broken. Again, this creates a scenario where the player is forced to outgear the monsters, rather than rely on his own skill to survive.
Reply Quote
Just admit it, NIGHTMARISH and JAILER are NOT FUN. There has got to be a way to implement stuff better than taking control away from the player. The very mechanics of the game force players to outgear content, because there is no way to outskill that.

Also WALLER being able to completely box in a player is broken. Again, this creates a scenario where the player is forced to outgear the monsters, rather than rely on his own skill to survive.

+1. Game needs a way to beat these.
Reply Quote
So far: thank you all for keeping a civil tone. With only a few limited exceptions, this has been completely constructive. WHAT a rarity.

Before we get much further, note that all of the problems we are seeing in this game are strictly mechanics problems with clear solutions:

1. Pathing skills - Current skills are perpetual and immune to pathing issues. Cure:
..A. Fix the cost, and have the skill (whirl) end where you click. Think the Whirlwind skill in D2. You 'paid' for your use of the skill, it whirled you to a certain point, and you're done. Now its limited.
..B. Make the skill work as-is, but not disregard pathing. If you were surrounded, you just whirl in place until they die and make a hole, or you die. Pinball dervish.
..C. Timer and cooldown. I don't like the thought of a cooldown in a fast-paced game, but set a timer on the skill and have a 1-2 second cooldown between 'whirls' or 'rushes.'

2. Complexity and strategy
..A. Have more monster affixes that affect the environment beyond a 'pool of green damage' or 'pool of red damage.' Try impassable, slow, weaken, miss, etc... instead of fear, jailor, vortex. Maybe have them create 'bubbles.'
..B. Have zones require varied movement and defensive skills, or penalties for common play. 1 example: think fire zones like at the Butcher, but all the way through an area. You would need mitigation and burst movement, and standard 'whirl and win' would be incredibly challenging to make work. Or maybe just a zone where you can't leach life.
..C. Increase AI. Have monsters in the front run back, take formation, and approach you in a way that they would deal more damage. Have them use shields, coordinate attacks, and use special abilities. Now you have to deal with a smart enemy - may even be memorable. They did SC2, they can definitely do this here.

So all of these issues can absolutely be solved. So why are these so out of reach? Easy: the game is released, and the budget for maintaining the game certainly will not afford such re-working. What we are left with is basically what we have gotten; tweaking of skills and a few mob changes (think reflect). This is hugely frustrating to many of us, as the game seems sooooo close to being good.

That is basically why I think the solution is an editor. We would solve our own problems with this, or at least make players think. If we can get this PLUS decent itemization, we may just have a game that is worthy of the name. I just want to see if we can get some real answers in blue:

1. Are the mechanics of the game effectively set? Is it reasonable to expect changes to how skills operate? If so, then the problem can be solved intrinsically.
2. Is there a possibility of an editor? This is a dramatic shift how the IP is handled, but probably already exists to the developers. Maybe loosen the reins?
3. What are the current priorities of the developers? How can we affect these? Is it possible to experiment in the PTR on fan-favorite ideas?
4. Is there a way we can add to the society of the game? The current system is incredibly limiting. How can we get more people together, and in better ways?
5. Can we expect any level of balance with what we have? Why is this so slow?
Reply Quote
04/29/2013 07:55 AMPosted by coodav
Thoughts?

Great OP! I completely agree on all fronts.

However, I have made an interesting observation that you can likely relate to as a fellow TR Monk: as boring as the playstyle is, I am addicted to the speed and the power it offers. As someone who has played since day 1, I remember how challenging this game used to be and I love that I can now just mow down mobs without a second thought.

I tried to go back to my hardcore Barb over the weekend. She has 15k dps, so it takes years to kill elite packs, which makes for exciting fights that require smart position and skill use. Yeah, I couldn't play for more than 15 minutes before being even more bored than when TRing...

In principle, I agree with everything in your post, but the proof is in the pudding - people seem to gravitate toward overpowered easy to handle builds (and that's not just D3... hammerdin anyone?)
Reply Quote
I say make an MP11 or whatever you want to call it with the original inferno difficulty. I.E.

1. Enrage timers
2. Elite Health Regen
3. OP reflect damage
4. Powerful molten, plague, desecrator stacks

Give that difficulty a higher Legendary drop rate with legendary items that are exclusive to that content. I.E. the only place to get a Mempo is in MP11

Make sure it has the 1.08 density buff

Do a wave board that increases the MP and drop rates as each wave progresses
Have a daily, weekly, and monthly ranking for the wave system and grant in game prizes to the monthly winners (something like the pre-order wings that last until the next reset)

More events like Ubers but with random bosses at random times with random awards. You guys are good at random right. (sorry had to throw the dig in)

Instead of timed dungeons make it so that the dungeon is 5x harder than the current MP level and success means 100% cleared with no deaths. If you are in a group or solo if you die you are out.

Have purple monsters mean something and not be a challenge to skip because the time/risk is not worth the reward.
Reply Quote
The day I quit D3 was the day I discovered WW barbs...

referring to the above posts,
yeah why is D3 penalizing us for using different skill sets for killing mobs, its fun to customize.

last I played D3, I made my own build to kill those elites and have to position nicely using shift and what nots to not get hit by fire chains. Then ww barbs came along and just made every other build obsolete, previously the only reason I used ww was to phasewalk so as to not get cornered. now its just 1 skill spam ww and drop cyclones everywhere and boom all mobs dead. easy peasey.
Reply Quote
I feel i should say thank you to Lylirra for responding to the OP. Thank you Lylirra. :)
Reply Quote
05/01/2013 10:02 AMPosted by TexaStranger
Thoughts?

Great OP! I completely agree on all fronts.

However, I have made an interesting observation that you can likely relate to as a fellow TR Monk: as boring as the playstyle is, I am addicted to the speed and the power it offers. As someone who has played since day 1, I remember how challenging this game used to be and I love that I can now just mow down mobs without a second thought.

I tried to go back to my hardcore Barb over the weekend. She has 15k dps, so it takes years to kill elite packs, which makes for exciting fights that require smart position and skill use. Yeah, I couldn't play for more than 15 minutes before being even more bored than when TRing...

I know how compelling it is. I prepped a FOT and TR monk and swap between Frenzy and Whirl Barb builds. I don't like barbs, so it is reaaaaallly tough to play them. But to the point; there is simply no possible way to go back once you go there. The power variation is gigantic. I played my old FOT monk last week, and there was absolutely zero comparison. The TR monk FLEW through everything, and one-shotted half the mobs at that speed. Farmed 500K gold, got 1-2 legs, and half an MP level every 30 mins.

Going back felt like everything was in slow motion. Punishment. Real pickle we have here.
Reply Quote
The only opinion I'm concerned about is the improve monster AI. As of late, I've been noticing a pretty big increase in monster AI buffs at MP10. This is most evident when the monsters decide to jail, wall, vortex, shield and chain freeze. This isn't a complaint. I love the difficulty of it.

I think Blizzard needs to focus more on the itemization, balancing of economy and "things to do" parts of the game, not the difficulty of the game/skills just yet.

GG and GL out there,

Omni
Reply Quote
Great Post!! @OP

I see where the op was going with the game and making it better. Blizzard has decided to make a great game around making more money instead of making a great game to make money. Software isn't a easy thing to make and the more you try to do with it. The more likely it will be flawsed. They tie their own hands. I remember when PC game design was about adding features instead of taking them away. smh
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]