1. Great character development/customization
2. Fun, build inspiring, itemization
3. Fun questing/world exploration

Diablo 3 failed with all three.

This!!

Quoted
Reply Quote
04/29/2013 08:15 AMPosted by Toad
Thats alot of text but some good points. I wish blizz would read some of these posts that gamers actually put time and thought into writing.

Yea, they only focus on most of the meaningless posts. Except the guy who invented 1.09. gg
Reply Quote
They were close. If they finished the game, it could have been amazing. The combat mechanics are solid, its just that the content was released incomplete. From the looks of it though, there is little likelihood that they will finish it before the expac.
Reply Quote
The one thing I'll give them is they've at least been on their ends of the forums a decent amount, StarCraft's boards get like 2 posts a month usually. They may just be feeding us "well in the future we plan to incorporate...," but at least they're ATTEMPTING to show they listen.

Then again............. there's really no major problems with StarCraft, so..........
Reply Quote
Agree with OP, +1
Reply Quote
04/30/2013 05:58 PMPosted by Lylirra
1) whether or not they agree with your premises and b) how they'd personally like to see the game evolve to improve on those areas.

1 Agree

b Player buffed skills - Skill POINTS(not necessarily in a TREE) or Items that can buff the skill.
Example : I want to make the REND skill Level 2 or lvl 3 rend.
Reply Quote
You mean the purpose isnt to play the AH 24/7 as the only means of making a decent amount of gold?
Edited by Dabrixmgp#1694 on 5/1/2013 7:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Eh, I had heard of all these terms except rogue-like.. are you referring to fallout when you say that term? *confused*

No, Rogue is an old Ansii based dungeon crawler, that used a random level generator as you worked your way down through the levels, it was the premise that the original Diablo was built around. There are other versions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike
Reply Quote
+1

ARPG = Action filled, Randomized, Player customize, Generates fun loot.
Reply Quote
Ah, you mean the BORING builds. ZZzzZzZzzZZzzzz...

I 'farm' MP 5 about as fast as I can run. And that is EXTREMELY fast. Your build gets to walk, slowly, to each next fight. hopefully that will change some in the next patch, but there is simply no way you could keep up with my farming capability. I know, I played both (and barb is even better). One is the more effective than the other by double+. Fact.

Given that we are limited to a certain number of skills we can use at one time. (TY for that blizz...) We must be picky about what we do us. The "key" builds tend to be nothing more than button mashing builds.

I spent some time testing which ones I use and the end result is that I don't get the same sense as you seem to. Between the staples of FoT/Thunderclap and SW/Cyclone, I must consider positioning. that's 2/6, then the mantra and serenity take up two, so the remaining two are really what make the build come alive for me. WoL is an AOE centered on my path and has a usefully strategic knock-back effect, but I can't just spam it like Hammer of the Ancients. I must use it wisely. (Do I want to use it AND/OR Overawe?!?!) And Cyclone Strike is great for positioning (Get over here!!!), as well as maximizing EDPS. When and were I use my abilities is VERY much a part of my build. TR is boring.

Fortunately, you don't have to take my word. Go to YouTube, and check for yourself. There are guys, better geared than I am 50%, who are FLYING through the levels.

05/01/2013 06:03 PMPosted by Secoya
Other than having to play through 4 difficulty levels, I really don't see this as a fundamental issue. Save of course for the affix problem. Horde/Vortex/Arcane/Shielding has no strategic value when all they do is spam arcane and vortex...

We are talking about game speed and monster mechanics here. And if you can't appreciate improved monster mechanics between difficulties, enhanced AI, and game speed, I think you truly, truly have a different vision of Diablo than I do.

To sum everything up, it isn't that you can't have fun. Or that you don't. And it isn't even that the builds can't be effective for what they are. It is that the game inherently promotes one build over the other because of EDPS, EHP, and avoidance. IMO, strategic play is not favored over gear checks and "button mashing builds." I note you "agree" with the premise, but argue anyway. Where are you going with this? I don't get it.

So what the discussion is really about, is 1) whether or not you see that, and 2) how would you resolve it.
Edited by coodav#1174 on 5/1/2013 8:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Interesting thread but stopped reading here:

I feel like my only option is to stack as much hp steal/regen/loh and mitigation as possible, and hope i don't get 1 shot (which i still do, with 37k hp 900+ ra and 4k armor).

The problem with the game and the forums is that people like this have a way to voice an opinion. 37k HP? Laughable. 4k armor? Houston I think we've found the problem.

Your stats are garbage, of COURSE you're going to be oneshot.
Reply Quote
The reason that all builds are just plows, and that skills don't require thought, much less strategy or placement, is simple. While Ray of Frost would be MUCH better against a single target, while leap would be IDEAL in escaping some dangerous situations, while Dashing Strike is GREAT against foes that run, I can't take them. Why can't I take them? Because ALL builds in the game currently involve one or two (one if you're really well geared) "normal" dps skill, which you spam, and then 5 Passives that take up active skill slots.

For Barbarians these are War Cry, Battle Rage, Wrath of The Berserker, Sprint, Overpower (killing spree) and likely a few others. These are either activate whenever they run out, or activate whenever they come up, no thought involved, they just passively increase damage (and therefor survival through Lifesteal and killing opponents more quickly) or defense. They are boring, they are not situational, there is no thought involved in using them, and they are BY far the most effective skills you can have in those slots.

For Monks they have BoH:Blazing Wrath, Deadly Reach:Foresight, any Mantra at all, Sweeping Wind, and used to be BF:FitL.

Wizards have Arcane weapon, any armor, explosive blast, Frost nova. Due to CM explosive blast and Frost Nova are simply spam when they come up skills, that realistically, most players wish could be auto cast to save them the carpal tunnel issues.

Demon Hunters are actually pretty well off, actually having to play the game right now with multiple active skills, both generators and spenders and utility skills, having no long term buff they can keep up. Note that while this is what keeps them intersting/fun to play, it's also what makes them the least effective class in the game currently.

Witch Doctors have the most interesting buff in the game with soul siphon, though considerably more boring with the mob density patch, as it's almost a guaranteed 5 stack now. They tend to deal extra damage with pets, and DoTs that do MUCH more damage per cast, but over a longer period. This is actually kind of interested, and they aren't that poorly off. WDs really might be the best class right now.

Long story short though, more damage dealt=faster enemy kills=less damage taken and more damage dealt=more life gain through lifesteal. And since passive skills like SW, BR, WotB, and BoH:BW = more damage, they are unfortunately BiS for skills.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]