Diablo® III

Wizard or Barb as a main?

Hi guys, I took a break after I got a low tier set on my barb, and my wizard dinged 60.

I came back to play HC, but my connection is having really bad lag spikes randomly, and even disconnects; I don't want to risk dying over something as silly as that.

That's why I have come back to SC and decided to throw a quick set on my Wizard to play as CM. Wizard has turned out to be fun, but I also like to play my barb. In order to actually increase my character's gear, I would probably have to stick to just one. That's my dilemma, I don't know what to choose!

What would you guys pick, and why? What are the pros and cons of each class in high MP farming, etc?
Reply Quote
Anyone?
Reply Quote
I like Barbs simply because they're one of the only classes that can out-gear their resource (Like in D2) and as a result you can make just about any build work.

ToC nerf? Whatever. On a 1-10 OP scale the class will go from being a 20 to a 15. When they nerf ItF and I can't spam fury spenders all day without losing fury, maybe then we'll feel the sting.
Reply Quote
I like Barbs simply because they're one of the only classes that can out-gear their resource (Like in D2) and as a result you can make just about any build work.

ToC nerf? Whatever. On a 1-10 OP scale the class will go from being a 20 to a 15. When they nerf ItF and I can't spam fury spenders all day without losing fury, maybe then we'll feel the sting.

The low tier set that I put together for my Wizard lets me spam her abilities over and over without having to worry about resource management. I only do 70k DPS, can tank up to MP8 ish, but can't kill efficiently past MP1.

On my barb, I can't tank past MP1 and I can't kill efficiently past MP1 with 86k DPS.
Reply Quote
Anyone with some more input? My barb is now paragon level 26 and my wizard is paragon level 10. I would like to start my journey to 100 with just one of them, so any input on which class "gets things done" better would be appreciated!

I don't know about high monster power levels, but I assume that the CM Wizard provides and invaluable asset to the team by freezing enemies in place. I don't know about how well her damage output is compared to barb, though.

I've seen barbs have some crazy damage output in high MP and can basically just run through mobs with whirlwind + wotb + sprint, decimating anything in its path and killing elites quite easily. However, I don't see any group benefit, especially since to be efficient, you have to run from pack to pack to keep wotb up, thus essentially leaving your group behind.
Reply Quote
View profile
Barbarian is more tanky. You are less likely to die as one.

Wizard is more original and fun the Barbarian. Getting started can be more tricky due to costly gear (some pieces overlap with Witch Doctor).
Reply Quote
View profile
04/29/2013 01:44 PMPosted by Popinski
On my barb, I can't tank past MP1 and I can't kill efficiently past MP1 with 86k DPS.

YA DUN GOOFED
Edited by CoolHandLuke#1291 on 4/30/2013 8:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/30/2013 08:27 AMPosted by Popinski
Anyone with some more input? My barb is now paragon level 26 and my wizard is paragon level 10.

Not being nasty but surely having both classes up to a high level YOU would have a very good understanding of what you like/want?
Reply Quote
04/30/2013 08:40 AMPosted by oldman54
Anyone with some more input? My barb is now paragon level 26 and my wizard is paragon level 10.

Not being nasty but surely having both classes up to a high level YOU would have a very good understanding of what you like/want?

Well that's the thing. My paragon levels aren't very high, and my gear is pretty much the low tier.

I'm sure both classes are much different at higher gear levels due to more survivability/damage.

With my CURRENT gear, I like the Wizard more, simply because I die a LOT less, even though I don't kill very fast. The barb can die much more often because I don't have survivability that's offered through gear (~6% more life steal from weapons, more resists, higher armor, etc), but can kill pretty fast.
Reply Quote
DH because its not possible to nerf that class anymore.
Reply Quote
04/30/2013 09:16 AMPosted by Dabrixmgp
DH because its not possible to nerf that class anymore.

DH was my first character at release. Kind of traumatized at being one shot when monsters just simply breathed near me.
Reply Quote
Barb...ride dat OP train!

and who really cares if they end up nerfing WOTB 9 months from now (let's be real, this is how long it would take) barb has way way more build options than wizard.

Wiz they'll nerf on the monthly without hesitation. See 1.01, 1.02, 1.04, 1.05, 1.06....
Edited by MasterJay#1651 on 4/30/2013 9:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Whatever class is more enjoyable is up to you. I will say that barbs are way more cheaper to gear for mp10 than wizards are. I got a p100 wiz with 500k+ dps and a decent barb at around p52.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]