Diablo® III

Auction Houses Up and Running

Small business, think small and act small, few have the courage to recall like Toyota and Honda.

We know that many are still with the Gold fruit washing, had no courage to take the roll back would be the only way to come out on top of a mistake of beginners.

Santa Claus exists and the gold was recovered dupado!
Reply Quote
Many Mmorpg's that had the same problems with dupe gold and not resorting to rollback is gone now. I just hope it will not happen in D3.
Reply Quote
Also smart call on donating the proceeds, I think that gesture goes a long way for Blizz players.
Reply Quote
05/10/2013 09:55 PMPosted by evok
So those buying and selling gems as well as those that sold garbage for hugely inflated prices get to keep the gold because they didn't directly exploit the system? Need clarification on this point please....

That is how I interpreted his post. This needs clarification. Obviously they didn't exploit, but they have gold that is likely a result of the dupe.
Reply Quote
Small business, think small and act small, few have the courage to recall like Toyota and Honda.

We know that many are still with the Gold fruit washing, had no courage to take the roll back would be the only way to come out on top of a mistake of beginners.

Santa Claus exists and the gold was recovered dupado!
lmao u compare car manufactures to a gaming company
Reply Quote
Hey everyone,

I'm John Hight, the production director for Diablo III. As most of you know, after the release of patch 1.0.8 a small number of players exploited a bug to duplicate gold. The bug has since been fixed, and the Auction Houses and gold trading are back online.

While the issue is resolved, we know a lot of players have questions about what happened and what we're doing about it, so I wanted to take some time to discuss the details with you here.

So, What Happened?

Shortly after we released patch 1.0.8 in the Americas on Tuesday, players discovered a bug that allowed gold to be duplicated via the real-money Auction House. The bug was the result of a coding error that was exposed when we increased the gold stack size from 1 million to 10 million. This resulted in an overflow on cancelled auctions that yielded a greater amount of gold in return. Only a relatively small number of players had the billions of gold necessary to exploit the bug, and only 415 of those players chose to use this exploit for personal gain.

To all of you who reported this to us, thank you! As soon as we confirmed what was happening, we took the Auction Houses in the Americas offline and suspended gold trading in order to isolate the problem. From there, we were able to troubleshoot, develop a fix, test it, and deploy it to all regions before the day ended—also ensuring that patch 1.0.8 rolled out in other regions (without the bug) as scheduled. The Auction Houses remained offline and gold trades remained suspended until we completed a full audit of all transactions that occurred during this period. Once that was completed, we brought everything back online.

While this was happening, we locked accounts that appeared to be exploiting the bug as well as collaborators that held gold or items for the exploiters. Once we confirmed that an account was involved in this exploit, we either banned or rolled back the account depending on their activity.

What Does That Mean for Me?

Soon after the exploit was discovered, we contemplated doing a complete rollback, as was suggested by a number of players here in the forums.

The vast majority of players did not participate in the exploit and we didn't like the idea of punishing them for the bad behavior of a few people. A rollback would mean bringing the servers down for a lengthy period and a loss of all progression since 1.0.8 was released. Many players made significant accomplishments in the game that required time and dedication, and we felt it was worth the work involved to try to preserve these efforts and go after the exploiters instead.

With this in mind, we elected not to roll back the servers in The Americas and are instead working to remove duplicated gold from the economy through targeted audits and account actions (as indicated above) without taking away progress that our players rightfully earned.

As of this this post, we have already recaptured more than 85% of the excess gold from the accounts involved, and over the days ahead we will continue to pore over our audit data to reclaim as much duplicate currency as possible. We've also done a full audit of our code to help make sure that something like this doesn't happen again.

So, What's Next?

Many people bought and sold items and gold on the Auction House on Tuesday. We're making sure that all legitimate transactions go through. This means that if your account was not involved in the exploit, you will get to keep your items and gold, as well as any money you received from sales on the real-money Auction House. We'll also be donating all proceeds from auctions conducted by the suspended or banned players—including all of THEIR sale proceeds that we intercepted as well as our transaction fee—to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.

Thank You!

On behalf of the development team, I just want to say thanks again to those of you who took the time to notify us about this situation, as well as apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you personally. We highly value fair play, and we’re going to continue to monitor the game and take steps necessary to prevent exploits like this from happening in the future.

Awesome job Blizzard! I'm very happy with how you handled this and your decision to give my duped profits to charity. Best company ever!
Reply Quote
The Equipped tips are working in stash, but not on AH searched items as per PTR was.
When will this be fixed?
Reply Quote
View profile
Thank you, and its okay to trade gold or buy item of RMAH again?
Reply Quote
for the last time Blizz, listen your players cry for rollback, believe in us because that is the correct thing to do.
Reply Quote
I personally know dupers who had already duplicated in excess of 350-400 billion. There were many many more doing much more duping over the course of the hours it was up. It was trillions.. Notice they didn't give that number? Know why? Yea...
Worst is yet to come buddy.
So you personally know someone out of the 415 reported to have sinned. Gotcha

They got their accounts, they didn't get the illegitimate auction house purchases they made to several mule accounts and random players.

"Gotcha"
Reply Quote
WTS gems 4 2 BEEZ
Reply Quote
I was one screaming for a rollback, but Well Done.
Reply Quote
05/10/2013 09:40 PMPosted by John Hight
all proceeds from auctions conducted by the suspended or banned players—including all of THEIR sale proceeds that we intercepted as well as our transaction fee—to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.

Blizzard is donating stolen money, players who bought duped gold, like this one http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8796360289 are paying for this "donation".
Reply Quote
Uhmmmm guys I'm at work and would like an update on what's going on in the AH's currently. Berserker?
Reply Quote
They got their accounts, they didn't get the illegitimate auction house purchases they made to several mule accounts and random players.

"Gotcha"
They banned ip addresses meaning anyone with mule accounts were also banned also they traced any trades made by the dupers(why do u think it took so damn long)
Reply Quote
Less people made legitimate accomplishments while the dupe was going on than those who duped. The integrity of the game is further ruined without a rollback. I would rather sacrifice any accomplishments such as a good BoA craft or some paragon gains for a game that was still legitimate.
Reply Quote
and only 415 of those players chose to use this exploit for personal gain.
We'll also be donating all proceeds from auctions conducted by the suspended or banned players—including all of THEIR sale proceeds that we intercepted as well as our transaction fee—to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.

Thank you for these two parts. It's enough I think to know an estimated number of "cheaters". There wre too many people complaining about "rollbacks" and "too many people used this to exploit". Still a lot of people to me though.

The second part is something I wasn't expecting. But let me ask something here. People exploited the bug, ended up with tons of gold. Some people bought up some top-end items. So...you intercepted the sells they were making in the RMAH? Does that mean the people who bought the items, thinking they were buying legit items, got to keep their items?
Reply Quote
awesome.... now take the time unsuspend my account please John.
Reply Quote
Good call with the donation. Please consider adding something permanent for the portion of us players uninterested in becoming AH tycoons. I had an idea, please read it if you get a chance, John.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6864606687#1
Reply Quote
05/10/2013 09:59 PMPosted by Shoe
I feel that Blizz did their best to take care of the situation. There is no perfect solution but the situation seemingly was handled well. We will see how ah pans out over the next few days. Good job blizz and no I didn't benefit one bit from any of this.

You sold your gems and profited. Nice try

Enjoy your time with Diablo III: Black Market Edition
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]