Diablo® III

mirror mimics 2% damage? (video)

So I've been messing around with unconventional builds, and it seems like mirror mimics does way less than 10% damage. It seems like it does more like 1 or 2%. 150k crits turn into 2k crits. 50k damage turns into 1k damage.

Anyone know what's up with the math on this rune?
Edited by battlematt#1575 on 6/2/2013 8:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Here's a short video (sorry for low quality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwLJDlVGqDs

The math here seems completely broken. 1k and 2k hits from mirrors, maximum.

Even if +critical hit damage isn't affecting things, it still shouldn't be 1k, 10% of my base damage is higher than that.
Reply Quote
Enemies might have flat damage reduction.
Reply Quote
What does that mean, that a static amount is subtracted from all damage? I've never heard of such a thing.
Reply Quote
Tried it again with just a normal weapon (wand) attack with a really crappy wand and no source. Was doing 300-1000 damage to a zombie with normal attacks. Mirrors were doing 7-10 damage. That's like 3% of my minimum damage and less than 1% of my average damage.

Can anyone produce an example of the mirrors doing anywhere near 10% damage? Because I can't.
Edited by battlematt#1575 on 6/2/2013 1:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Looks like they don't benefit from crit damage either, like the DH's companion skill.
Reply Quote
I did a quick test with a constant damage spell. My piercing orb does 1175 damage with the setup. Mimics do 109. My crits do over 4k, mimic crits did 163. That means mimics only use 50% CD like hydra. They also do less than 10% of your normal damage.
Reply Quote
Battlemat, I couldn't produce Mirror Mimics that could do 10%. Not even.

Biggest crit -- if one could even call it that -- was 8332. Very low non-crit damage as well. We should submit bug reports.

Slowed video to half speed:

http://youtu.be/bB7pBGe2pv4
Reply Quote
Oof, when I tried them out way long ago, I thought I was just seeing things and gave up on it.

Looks like they are doing way less than they should be (unless we're all missing something here).

@jen, I like how Leah is dishing out almost as much damage as the mimics without crits.
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 6/2/2013 1:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Umh... My mimics do exactly 10%.

Skill: My dmg -> Mimics dmg

Arcane Orb: 841 -> 84
Shock Pulse: 631 -> 63
Wand Attack: 421 -> 42
Magic Missile: 526 -> 53

Crit may be caped at 50%, but base damage seems alright.
Reply Quote
Umh... My mimics do exactly 10%.

Skill: My dmg -> Mimics dmg

Arcane Orb: 841 -> 84
Shock Pulse: 631 -> 63
Wand Attack: 421 -> 42
Magic Missile: 526 -> 53

Crit may be caped at 50%, but base damage seems alright.

Odd, mine only did like 9.3% of my damage. Piercing orb, 1175 vs 103. It looks like they use at least some of our buffs because I noticed their damage decreases when I remove GC, but I didn't buff myself with sparkflint or MW to see that.
Reply Quote
Just to be sure, a few additional values with different weapons and Piercing Orb:
My damage 3110, their damage 311
Or 1046 -> 105
Or 606 -> 61

So... What's the difference between your build and mine?
I got a weapon, some int and a +min dmg amulet. No buffs, no crit.
Reply Quote
Ha. Got it. They don't benefit from +%elemental dmg.
Reply Quote
I had sparkflint, MW, EA pinpoint, P-orb, Archon, MI.
Passives were GC, CM, CB.

I dismissed my follower, equipped a staff of herding with +31 min damage courtesy of my ammy, and removed both my rings so all my orb hits did the same damage. I didn't buff MW or sparkflint and I tried both with and without GC. In both cases the damage from my minions was not 10% of my damage.

06/02/2013 01:50 PMPosted by apo
Ha. Got it. They don't benefit from +%elemental dmg.

That explains it. I only had zuni boots on and 1175/1.08 = 1088 vs 109 from mimics. Good catch.
Edited by Loroese#1415 on 6/2/2013 1:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
See above. You kept your Zuni boots on, right?
Reply Quote
I have a stormcrow for +elemental, but here's another video without the stormcrow, with a crappy wand (to make things easier to see), and with base weapon attack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2CiHwAPux8

I'm pretty sure I don't have any +elemental in this video.

Edit: oh wait I have a SoJ. But that's only like +6%. it still seems like I should be seeing values higher than 7 and 10 (weirdly, the ONLY two values I see) on the mirrors.
Edited by battlematt#1575 on 6/2/2013 2:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
OK, so they do 10%, but they are not with mine, so it's very misleading in the tooltip to say 10% when it doesn't include buffs, glass cannon, etc. etc. And crit damage cap, etc. Yes, I do have an issue with tooltip information. So many of them are poorly explained and written.
Reply Quote
It's really impossible to tell for sure what's going on because your damage still has a huge random component. It also might be the chest adding some damage to your attack but not the mimics. What we did was remove the RNG component by using a low damage wand with some +min damage gear (no +max damage). That makes every attack deal the same damage. That makes it a lot easier to compare.

Still, you're doing from 90-300 per attack and your mimics are doing like 7, so it seems a little off.
Reply Quote
06/02/2013 02:15 PMPosted by jenpeezey
OK, so they do 10%, but they are not with mine, so it's very misleading in the tooltip to say 10% when it doesn't include buffs, glass cannon, etc. etc. And crit damage cap, etc. Yes, I do have an issue with tooltip information. So many of them are poorly explained and written.

I think it still includes buffs like GC. I had GC and it gave them extra damage.

It is misleading since it doesn't include CD or elemental damage like zuni+triumvirate. That makes the damage pretty pitiful since a lot of sheet dps comes from those stats.
Reply Quote
Ok, that sounds true. I guess I can accept that this skill does "10%" damage in scare quotes, where every significant damage multiplier is removed to make it more like 1% in actual practice.

Thanks, Blizzard.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]