Diablo® III

Official Ladder support thread ;)

90 Undead Priest
We WANT ladder in D3 for the SAME and various reasons that we like it in D2!
That alone should be enough for you to include it in D3! SEQUEL!

Not everyone feels the same way (meaning, not everyone would like a ladder for the same reason). You may agree on concept, but disagree on execution for example. That's why more detailed posts are usually more useful in these situations. :)

Actually no, not really. That's all that needs to be said.

I feel the same way, with no ladder resetting the economy, I really feel there's no reason to come back and play. I have the best gear, what now? What is there to do? Nothing. Ladder resets gave me a reason to keep coming back and level a new character and gear that new character with everyone starting fresh, no buying your way through the game.

If I recall correctly there was even Ladder specific rune words. Now you could still play your older characters on non-ladder, but for the new 'season', you'd have to start over.
Reply Quote
- How would you ideally like that system to work?
I would love for a system that allowed all of the participating and willing players to have a fresh start at the game. I think that with the upcoming itemization changes, and all of the patches done within the past year, it would be a very good addition to the game, and I also think that the experience would be amazing when starting fresh again. Of course the ladder system should be optional, when you first make a character that individual would have the choice to make their character within the ladder system, or non ladder system. I also think that all of our characters should be separated from ladder and non ladder in every single way, as the concept implies.
- How long would you like the resets to be?
I think that a 6 month period for the resets sounds like a very good time slot, Diablo 2 seemed to have that nailed down correctly,

- How many characters do you think players should be able to create for ladders? (Do you think they should take up the existing slots you have?)
I think that players should ideally be able to have 5 characters for the ladder, and they should not overlap with your current ones, however if there is also a hardcore ladder, which there probably would be, I think that it would be reasonable to bump that up to 10, 5 of each class for softcore, and 5 for hardcore, like the current live version of Diablo III.
- Should there be an auction house for ladder characters?
Personally, I do not think that there should be an auction house for a new ladder system. One of the things that I loved about trading in diablo 2 was the social experience. Even though the auction house seems like it's more convenient, I feel as if it took away from a lot of the social aspects of the game. All though there still is some face to face trading in game, I feel as if there could be a lot more. I remember in Diablo 2 I made almost all of my friends through trading items in game, but here I haven't made any from trading, all though I think that the social game play aspect of Diablo 3 is excellent
- Should there be any special items or perks for ladder-only characters? If so, what kind?
I can't really think of anything specific for this, but I think that a cool idea would be for people who completed a ladder season, 1 or more characters to level 60, and completed inferno, they should get some special type of perk or item. Maybe a special type of angelic wings, or even an item that you can use on any type of spear or staff, or similar item, that gave it the appearance of Solarion, Imperius' spear. Another idea would be to give people another bonus for getting to paragon level 100 in a season.
- What kind of restrictions, if any, should be placed on ladder characters?
I think that the experience gain rate should be lowered at higher levels. Right now I think that it doesn't take much time or effort to hit level 60, its not incredibly easy, but I think that for a ladder season it should take maybe a bit longer.
- Do think players should be able to bring their ladder characters into "non-ladder" once a reset is complete?
Yes.
- Is it necessary for ladders to be competitive, or is it enough for players to just see for themselves how far they can go on their own?
I think that they can be both, if a player wants to level competitively, and then maybe farm items to become the best barbarian, they should have that option there.
- Why would ladders improve your in-game experience?
I think that the most important thing is that it would give me, and many others a fresh start to the game, which would be a great experience. I have many fond memories of playing the game in the first few months after the release of the game. Many of the areas I have not touched in a very long time, and with the recent patches, I think that the experience would be just as great, or even better.

Also, I think that it might even be cooler if with the new ladder system, we could bring back some sort of hostile system for dueling in the game. This is probably a far stretch of an idea, but I think that the current brawling system has its moments, but I think that players would like to get out there, and actually battle each other in the real diablo world. All though this is a very vague idea, I'm sure that other people in the community would have some very good ideas to build onto this idea.
Reply Quote
If done correctly they could give me a chance to play without the AH or the temptation of using it. While I love the AH I am interested in playing without it even being an option.
Also it would provide some competition as stated above.

that's what I like and to expand this idea, I'm looking for some real, real hardcore ladder such as every item you purchased from npc and loot you get are all account bound. Meaning there's no way you can trade items at all. At the same time there's a limit of time you can play every day so that league is much fair to cover most of the people who work or without work and have other affair to take care off in real life. 20 hours a week ladder maybe. The ladder is weekly and you just have only 20 hours max to play through the game from start where no trading and all items are account bound.

additional to this type of ladder, I would like to see something else too.

So, give us options to choose which ladders we love to play.
in short, give us ladders, not just one single ladder.
Reply Quote
Second, now time for the details! What exactly would you want from a ladder system? For example:

I was very content with how D2's ladder system worked.

I think a 6 month ladder would be perfect.

- How many characters do you think players should be able to create for ladders? (Do you think they should take up the existing slots you have?)

I think they should be able to create one of each class. Simply allowing people to take up their existing slots is not enough imo. A lot of people use characters simply as mules due to the absolute lack of storage. Why not make new stash tabs cost exponentially more? The answer: because we need something for an expansion, is not right.

This is a tricky question. I think there should be a gold only auction house UNLESS there are new and improved ladder-only items to offset using AH to upgrade.

- Should there be any special items or perks for ladder-only characters? If so, what kind?
I am a huge fan of ladder-only items. I don't mean to revamp all the items, I just mean add like 4 or 5 pieces of gear or customizations. Some people will disagree, but I don't think they realize how well ladder-only items function in D2. You see, you can either A: take your MP10 geared char and slay !@#$ in non-ladder and have fun that way or B: use a perhaps lesser equipped char to handle MP5 but with some cool features. Eventually everyone is going to have MP10 chars on non-ladder and on a 6 month ladder system very very little will have MP9 or 10 capable chars. So to offset this, I think ladder-only items will help out tremendously and be cool ;)

- What kind of restrictions, if any, should be placed on ladder characters? I'm not sure what kind of answers you are going for with this questions, but I don't think there should be any kind of restrictions. Ladders are for people who want to squeeze out everything they can out of a game, not the opposite.

- Do think players should be able to bring their ladder characters into "non-ladder" once a reset is complete?
Of course. If people ladder chars wont xfer after reset then I think it will feel like hard-core where instead of death=game over it is more like time=game over. Another reason why I liked this feature in D2 is because it gets people playing at the end of ladder too because of the ladder-only items xfering over to non-ladder. Just a cool little aspect.

- Is it necessary for ladders to be competitive, or is it enough for players to just see for themselves how far they can go on their own?
I don't really care about the competitive side as much simply because I don't have the time that others do. With that being said, I think it is still crucial for ladders to be competitive simply because the best players are usually the competitive ones and without some sort of "race" or "ranking" then I feel these players wont get much out of a ladder system.

A fresh start is almost always welcomed, but I think what players need is that extra option. MPs are great but you guys can expand on that idea of choosing your personal gaming experience. I feel right now that MPs are only single minded, as in it only gets harder and harder. How about instead of difficulty, just implement other perks like special effects on items and/or chars. I don't know a single person that doesn't like that "infernal helm" or other gear you get for PS and Xbox preorders. Except that no one will use it after level 10. What about custom account bound gear? Like the way we can customize banners. Why not add more customization to gear and chars? Hell, I'd even sink some serious gold into that!
Reply Quote
47 Pandaren Monk
06/12/2013 06:15 PMPosted by itstylerj
Ladder only gear should become boa when characters are sent to non-ladder.

This is a very interesting idea.

Yeah this is because back in D2 the NL economy got screwy when ladder only items were introduced and it's more of an incentive to play Ladder.
Reply Quote
View profile

Second, now time for the details! What exactly would you want from a ladder system? For example:

A six month duration with characters from ladder moved to non ladder. Softcore and hardcore would be seperate from one another.

One for each class should be fine.
The five ladder slots are moved to non ladder with a total of 10 non ladder slots possible.
At any given time, a maximum of 12 character slots per account.
This would mean, if you have 2 ladder and 10 non ladder, that you have to delete 2 of the non ladders to have room for the 2 ladders to be shuttled over after the ladder resets otherwise no new characters can be created on the account be they ladder or non ladder.

No auction house! No no no!
Please provide a new social interface which allows players the ability to name their game and a search option to find those games out so players can create trade games. Provide a better chat window for the new social interface so that players can put trade and general into separate windows, re size those windows etc... for greater user ability and facilitate a non auction house trading environment. Put power in the hands of the players!

Special unique items that drop only in ladder mode but that once the mode is over and characters are moved to non ladder, can be traded there. Very similar to ladder only uniques seen in diablo II. There is no need for special perks.Maybe a banner design for partaking in a ladder season if you absolutely want to give out perks? I don't know.. The banner is pretty dumb if you ask me anyway. I can't honestly see anyone absolutely really caring about it more than a passing glance.

You could produce special ladder events such as "Diablo walks the earth..." (Or maybe mephisto or baal? since Diablo technically is gone for now...) similar to D2 in where in ladder games, random events can happen like that and provide a reward such as a "torch" item similar to that in d2? None of that garbage hellfire ring stuff where you farm for no gaurentee drop of organ parts, and then keys, and then craft where you're not even guarenteed a usefull ring anyway. Do away with that RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG garbage you guys thought was clever.

- What kind of restrictions, if any, should be placed on ladder characters?

You don't need to make restrictions other than please don't have an auction house.. let players trade just make sure you guys secure the damn trade window. I can't believe I even have to say that.

PoE has a lot of great ladder variety ideas, its sad that I have to suggest you steal from them as they are putting you guys to shame at every turn but hey... learn from your competition? Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Yes, move them over.

I didn't do it for the competition, I did it for the ladder only items and just because it was fun to see how far you could come on your own.

Truth be told, it won't by much until you fix the glaring itemization issue.. remove the 25% runspeed cap and give players choices again. Until you remove 2 minute cooldowns on abilities that provide 27% weapon damage (I'm looking at you witch doctors) then build variety will continue to suffer.

May I remind you of a motto? "There's no such thing as too much power..." Until blizzard gets a hold of you and nerfs you that is. Stop nerfing everything.. you guys nerf so much of the fun stuff all in the name of balance.. but being OP is what's fun and so what if it screws balance? Make everyone OP and you won't have to worry about balance!! The twisted thing that worked about D2 was everyone was so broken that it all balanced out in the end, even in PVP! If EVERYONE is broken and OP then you DON'T have to worry about balance. So please... stop trying to control everyone and everything, close your eyes, take a deep breath and let loose! Give power to the players, give them choices and give them powerful fun choices.

TL;DR Fix itemization and fix build diversity and ladder will breathe life into this game beyond your wildest dreams. HOWEVER... You won't fix build diversity and hence the game, until you learn to let go.

Would love to see more discussion along those lines. :)
Edited by TheMadHatter#1102 on 6/12/2013 7:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
As long as there aren't 'Ladder Only' items, I'd be fine with it. The dynamic in D2 made one feel forced to play ladder in order to enjoy all the game has to offer.

Cosmetic stuff, titles etc, I have no issue with. But having massively OP items (the best items) limited to ladder only was a terrible dynamic.
Reply Quote
Ladder should not offer any benefits or whatsoever. No Ladder only items. No droprate boost.

The last thing I want is to feel forced to delete my characters with over 1500 hours accumulated because they become irrelevant just to accommodate people who stopped playing the game.
Reply Quote
no ladder, if you want to reroll, noone is stopping you, good bye!
you will never get 1337 gear, even if ladder came and gone, you'll still be weak ;)
Reply Quote
As long as there aren't 'Ladder Only' items, I'd be fine with it. The dynamic in D2 made one feel forced to play ladder in order to enjoy all the game has to offer.

Cosmetic stuff, titles etc, I have no issue with. But having massively OP items (the best items) limited to ladder only was a terrible dynamic.

Actually, if you think about it, once ladder items went to NL, they would also be on NL. Though, you just wouldn't be able to create/find the items yourself. So, I guess I am on the fence now.
Reply Quote
you will never get 1337 gear, even if ladder came and gone, you'll still be weak ;)

Please don't start this again we actually have some good pros and con's going on give your video game ego a space to breathe somewhere else and actually with the rmah auction house with a small chunk of my next pay cheque I can have better item's than you so get over it(not that id ever consider that)
Edited by Garret99#1779 on 6/12/2013 8:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Weak? So what? We'll be having fun and that's what all it matters ;)
Reply Quote

Lmao this just proves how little your span of thought goes.

Ladder = Everyone starts over, all items are gone, economy starts over...
No Ladder and I just reroll = Wow, I just deleted my stuff for no reason!

It's like I'm at the starting line while everyone else is at the finish line. It's stupid, just like your comment.
Edited by ISmkPotatoes#1756 on 6/12/2013 8:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
One thing I'd like to see in the ladder seasons are Ladder-only items. D2 had this in a unique item or two and some of the runewords. Gave people another reason to go ladder.

And IMO, no RMAH for ladder.
Reply Quote
One thing I'd like to see in the ladder seasons are Ladder-only items. D2 had this in a unique item or two and some of the runewords. Gave people another reason to go ladder.

It didn't give people "another" reason to go to ladder, it forced them to go to ladder.
Reply Quote

It didn't give people "another" reason to go to ladder, it forced them to go to ladder.

Confusing since NL got the items as well once the ladder ended....
Reply Quote
Ladder is a great idea! And i hate to see all the people who are hating on it because they say things like, ladder forces people to play because of better drops or some benefit. If you think that then you have some personal issues, to feel pressured by a game to do something that you feel is wrong, so step back and shut up this is a ladder support not ladder hate thread. Ladder is a competitive thing, and that is why it gets reset so everyone is on the same level at one point in time, and you all have an equal chance to rise to the top, so why complain about a reset, it definitely adds to the replay value. ladder in D2 was fun but yes it could be improved upon. Maybe though instead of having the auctions houses in ladder it could go back to trading with different servers? Or maybe just make certain items account bound, like the ladder only items, or make then so they can not be sold on AH but can be traded. Ladder also helps to strengthen community by bringing players who are competitive together (no competition does not drive people apart), just like being self found creates a community. Ladder is coming one day, i wish it was sooner everyone give a +1 for ladder!
Reply Quote

Confusing since NL got the items as well once the ladder ended....

Ladder exclusives (loots) forces people to play ladder, whether they want it or not. After all, this game is about loot. NL becomes some sort of back-watered ground where a few people plays or PvP.

Ladder items "entering" NL is not going to change anything -_-
Edited by DoomBringer#1994 on 6/12/2013 9:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]