Diablo® III

Itemization patch may fix this game.

The best thing blizz can do is drastically scale back monster power health and boost monster damage. Then people will gear more "balanced" and less "glassy" right now 95% of people are seriously obsessed with dps and overpay for it.

They'd have to scale back player damage, if they're scaling back monster health; right now, the highest DPS players in the game can already kill monsters so quickly that incoming damage is moot.

They'd also need to restore players' defensive skills, if they're going to restore monster damage; they nerfed damage because they were nerfing defensive skills, in order to encourage players to build more offensively.

The thing is that the initial (and imho biggest) mistake that made everything go to hell was overscaling healthpools. In it's original iteration, the MP system was somewhat manageable, because ranges weren't so big. MP10 went up to 400% hp, which was fine. Then they decided to not only nerf it's damage, but also overdo this health scaling reaching up to a completely absurd and unmanageable 3500%, like it added any difficulty at all. All it is is a lame dps check.

If you notice, that's the only reason why certain skills have been overbuffed, and why gear got "doubled", leading to an unmanageable amount of dps, making any sort of balancing pretty difficult. The existing layout didn't support this obscene overscaling, so they've been stuck trying to rebalance everhyting ever since. However, most skills remain untouched, which only made them even more useless next to those overbuffed ones, severely limiting build diversity. All they've been doing is providing FOTM builds every time they overbuff something. For instance, look at Rapid fire for Demon Hunters. The skill is so damn overpowered right now that more than half of the demon hunters out there rely on it. Same goes for many other dominant builds, which feature at least one of these overbuffed skills, such as wave of light, cloud of bats, or hammer of the ancients.

This is a problem itemization won't fix.
Edited by Blashyrkh#1824 on 7/20/2013 2:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/20/2013 02:48 PMPosted by Blashyrkh

They'd have to scale back player damage, if they're scaling back monster health; right now, the highest DPS players in the game can already kill monsters so quickly that incoming damage is moot.

They'd also need to restore players' defensive skills, if they're going to restore monster damage; they nerfed damage because they were nerfing defensive skills, in order to encourage players to build more offensively.

The thing is that the initial (and imho biggest) mistake that made everything go to hell was overscaling healthpools. In it's original iteration, the MP system was somewhat manageable, because ranges weren't so big. MP10 went up to 400% hp, which was fine. Then they decided to not only nerf it's damage, but also overdo this health scaling reaching up to a completely absurd and unmanageable 3500%, like it added any difficulty at all. All it is is a lame dps check.

If you notice, that's the only reason why certain skills have been overbuffed, and why gear got "doubled", leading to an unmanageable amount of dps, making any sort of balancing pretty difficult. The existing layout didn't support this obscene overscaling, so they've been stuck trying to rebalance everhyting ever since. However, most skills remain untouched, which only made them even more useless next to those overbuffed ones, severely limiting build diversity. All they've been doing is providing FOTM builds every time they overbuff something. For instance, look at Rapid fire for Demon Hunters. The skill is so damn overpowered right now that more than half of the demon hunters out there rely on it. Same goes for many other dominant builds, which feature at least one of these overbuffed skills, such as wave of light, cloud of bats, or hammer of the ancients.

This is a problem itemization won't fix.

Like I have said time and time again, this is now the Blizzard balance formula. They just juggle extremes until they accidentally discover a middle ground that works well enough. They later go through and change a bunch of stuff around for no reason at all, then are back at square one.

I know there are a lot of moving parts involved, but if they could stop working on improving the AH for 10 minutes, and actually focus on getting the core game fixed, there would be a starting point so that people aren't playing Diablo 3: Auction House Edition. Many players play specifically for the AH, be it wheeling and dealing, or selling stuff for gold hoarding or making a little cash. Very few players just play the game for the game, because the game itself is kind of mediocre.
Reply Quote
GD is nothing more than a re-occurrence of same talked about threads
Reply Quote
Yea the damage is too spiky , its the crit damage that comes and **** things up. Also the fact that the final damage of items will get narrowed a bit should help.

Basicly there is a need for viable damage source and skill modifying affixes.
crushing blow, deadly strike , open wound worked wonders, why isnt it there anymore ? -.-
Edited by DoNTDiEx#1499 on 7/20/2013 5:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
adding more affixes? wow, now my probability to get item with the affix that i want is less than before? nope. doesnt fix anything.
Reply Quote
07/14/2013 10:46 AMPosted by Fireblade
This game aint broken to being with, what is there to fix?
Lousy itemization ... finding same item affixes at L40+ as I was finding ~L15.

If they tighten up the affix ranges and introduce a few more tiers to each so that there is always progression / improvement then players would be a bit happier in the long run.

Re-introduction of elemental effects would also be good thing.
Reply Quote
Crit damage is horribly out of control. I should not be able to use an ability that does about 20k normally but have crits of nearly 100k, That means that if I gear anything other than crit chance or damage I am losing out on a lot of dps. I don't just want to do more and more and more damage, Increasing damage just makes everything that much harder to balance if they ever decide to really give a s***. But I don't see that really happening.
Reply Quote
07/14/2013 09:59 AMPosted by Ace
Then people will gear more "balanced" and less "glassy" right now 95% of people are seriously obsessed with dps and overpay for it.

That's because of how farming works in this game. How many monsters you kill and how fast is the only thing that matters, and the only way to change that rate is with DPS.
Reply Quote
07/20/2013 11:01 PMPosted by kamVINCI
adding more affixes? wow, now my probability to get item with the affix that i want is less than before? nope. doesnt fix anything.

I'm not really sure what you're after we this upcoming itemization. Obviously you still want the same affixes, I think I'm not sure if itemization will fix what you wanted.

Hey blizz! better make it narrow. focused on the same affixes, make give legendaries more fun elements. Surely most guys would still want the same build, stacking the same affixes. This time they want it less random.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPs idea could be geared to more build preference. And by making more builds available, more variety on AH, maybe even cheaper prices.
Reply Quote

I'm not really sure what you're after we this upcoming itemization. Obviously you still want the same affixes, I think I'm not sure if itemization will fix what you wanted.

Hey blizz! better make it narrow. focused on the same affixes, make give legendaries more fun elements. Surely most guys would still want the same build, stacking the same affixes. This time they want it less random.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPs idea could be geared to more build preference. And by making more builds available, more variety on AH, maybe even cheaper prices.

problem with itemization is the range of good and bad affix is too big. im not against adding affix, but since OP didnt say anything about balancing the current affix, i assume this is just straightforward adding more problem. people would just go for best affix and try to stack those. and in the mean time cause these affix poll is so large(cause of the addition). the problem didnt really solved since theres now more "crap affix" that can roll. but if the OP did mention "provided the afix are balanced enough before adding" then by all mean. go ahead.

remember, with more affix. theres more possibility that the item will be crap if the range between good and bad affix is still as bad as now.

ie. + Damage for non crit
+ chance to double/triple damage for non-crit
+ non critical damage %

^those three would be the new trifecta of non crit build. eventhough this promote new build, the fact that its harder for you to roll that since you already like double number of affix made this idea pretty much screwed.

just what i thought off. :) cheers.

EDIT: possibility of affix combination isnt calculated with simple multiplication but exponentially. before patch, good item have ie. 0.0000000001% to roll. now good item need 0.00000000000000000000000000000001% chance to roll.
take example of mempo, rolling crit is hard enough, now you just added that many affix to make it impossible. the sample still apply with any affix that you want. adding affix would only work if the number of affix thats can be rolled by item is increased. in line of "making item drop less" philosophy, tell me how many mempo should i find i i can find one, to roll a crit.
Edited by kamVINCI#6459 on 7/21/2013 1:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Itemization will not fix the game, D3 dosent offer anyform of endgame and the hunt for items becomes pointless.
Reply Quote
Guys, there are some valid points here. I just didnt go full details, otherwise I should be doing patch myself.

of course they need to remove crappy stats, and bear in mind, we're not aiming for an easier critical hit chance mempo, but a less useless mempo. If you're not getting the crit mempo but getting double damage, does it equate to bad mempo? Of course not, you can trade it or start a new build.
Reply Quote
Guys, there are some valid points here. I just didnt go full details, otherwise I should be doing patch myself.

of course they need to remove crappy stats, and bear in mind, we're not aiming for an easier critical hit chance mempo, but a less useless mempo. If you're not getting the crit mempo but getting double damage, does it equate to bad mempo? Of course not, you can trade it or start a new build.

i would agree for more affix strictly if the devs be able to balance all the affix, even with that its not gona work if the number of roll is not increased.

right now the devs are having problem balancing them.
Reply Quote
[quote]right now the devs are having problem balancing them.

I agree. I'm sure they're working on it. I got some few idea on how, but i could be wrong.

Mystic might help - reroll of specific 1 affix = costly and permanent minus to maximum durability.

Make a guaranteed random affix, maybe guaranteed to get 1 lvl64 affix (new group of affix)

Imbue item affix = very costly, equivalent to maybe 20 sojs.
Reply Quote
It would be good if they would fix the black weapon bug already, also elemental damage should count for something, for example:
if a weapon has 600 physical and 200 bonus cold damage on it, then a physical based spell what does 100% weapon damage would do 800 dmg, but only a cold based spell could do 600+400 or 600+300 dmg.
If a weapon has 600 physical and 200 physical bonus damage on it, then only physical spells would do 600+400 or 600+300 dmg, holy just do normal 800 dmg.

Or make damage rolls universal, and add new affixes, like: poison weapon converter affix: weapon now deal poison damage only. Effect: poison weapons deal 10 or 20% more damage with poison skills.

So basicly the bonus damage on weapons would only strengthen those skills, which belong to the same school as weapon itself. Poison spells would be more effective with posion weapons, but wouldn't be disadvantageous with other elements. Maybe this would increase less used skill usage too.
Edited by ssanyesz#2866 on 7/21/2013 7:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
There are too many things wrong with this game to fix it. Itemization is just one, although a big one. If they "fix" that, they will still mess up the fix. They have had over a year and still can't fix simple user interface issues. I mean come on at least make "town" in A3 and A4 look different. News flash to blizzard: Many of us aren't excited by unidtified items and don't need 4 seconds of waiting to have them ided. Anyway those are nits, but they are indicators of development ennui and lack of customer focus.

The game is past the tipping point. A lot of friends have left and aren't coming back. Item sales on ah/rmah have slowed based on over saturation for a diminishing player base. Sure the game will linger on, and there will be a relatively few people still playing.

I'm still playing, although at a diminishing rate, due to inertia, decent characters, and marking time till other games develop support for a Mac. Yes, if I can't sell my stuff when I leave, you can have it, lol.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]