Diablo® III

Loot 2.0, discovering its true potential.

Blizzard Employee
Hi everyone,

If you ask any veteran Diablo player what their most memorable moment was from a past Diablo game, more often than not it will involve a story about the time when a certain rare item dropped for them. Whether that drop was a legendary (unique) item which was statistically next to impossible to find, a high rune needed to craft an amazing runeword, or even just a legendary item with perfect stats, the feeling was pretty much all the same (alright.. finding something like a Windforce, Zod rune, or Tyrael’s Might was a little different haha). Players could probably even go as far as recalling the time of day, act, zone, or monster that dropped that particular item, it was that memorable. How can we give this same nostalgia feeling back to the items in Diablo III?

Please take a look at my most recent post on Diablofans.com and let me show you how I think this feeling could be brought back. I'd post the entire topic here but without the pictures it doesn't really have the same weight.

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/99370-loot-20-discovering-its-true-potential/

Hope you all enjoy
This is a really great, and comprehensive set of suggestions and feedback! Thanks for putting that all together, Monstrous, and for all of you for sharing your thoughts! We're definitely keeping an eye on this thread and would love to hear your loot-related thoughts. :)
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
Hi everyone,

If you ask any veteran Diablo player what their most memorable moment was from a past Diablo game, more often than not it will involve a story about the time when a certain rare item dropped for them. Whether that drop was a legendary (unique) item which was statistically next to impossible to find, a high rune needed to craft an amazing runeword, or even just a legendary item with perfect stats, the feeling was pretty much all the same (alright.. finding something like a Windforce, Zod rune, or Tyrael’s Might was a little different haha). Players could probably even go as far as recalling the time of day, act, zone, or monster that dropped that particular item, it was that memorable. How can we give this same nostalgia feeling back to the items in Diablo III?

Please take a look at my most recent post on Diablofans.com and let me show you how I think this feeling could be brought back. I'd post the entire topic here but without the pictures it doesn't really have the same weight.

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/99370-loot-20-discovering-its-true-potential/

Hope you all enjoy
This is a really great, and comprehensive set of suggestions and feedback! Thanks for putting that all together, Monstrous, and for all of you for sharing your thoughts! We're definitely keeping an eye on this thread and would love to hear your loot-related thoughts. :)

Thanks Vaef, really looking forward to the changes! If you could pass on to Travis, he should think about releasing a couple items every now and then on the forums for us to see leading up to the expansion. Even if it's just the effects, no need for the other numbers ;)
Edited by Monstrous#1404 on 7/24/2013 5:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Only took 460 replies for them to notice.
Reply Quote
07/24/2013 03:45 PMPosted by ihaveshirts

Ya and how many days has this been up on diablofans? The bad thing is that this probably pushed the expansion back a couple of months!
Reply Quote
wouldve liked the dev to respond to it and see what their input is
Reply Quote
I always thought it would be cool to have to level some Legendary armor or weapons to reveal their final stat rolls. It would be awesome to constantly try new pieces and have to play different characters depending on what items you found. As a DH I would enjoy trying out a new bow or reveal the stats of a quiver etc etc etc. Someone might have mentioned this before and I confess to have not read all 24 pages on this thread.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
07/24/2013 03:45 PMPosted by ihaveshirts
I personally saw it on Monday (it was posted on Sunday) and have been tracking it and passing it along to relevant individuals since then. Simply because we don't comment on a thread does not mean it escapes notice. It's quite the opposite, actually!
Reply Quote
07/24/2013 03:56 PMPosted by Vaeflare
I personally saw it on Monday (it was posted on Sunday) and have been tracking it and passing it along to relevant individuals since then. Simply because we don't comment on a thread does not mean it escapes notice. It's quite the opposite, actually!

While I get that, I think it's something you guys should alter your process on.

It's like working, you know yourself you're doing a great job, but it's really nice when your boss tells you you're doing a good job and you hear it from your colleagues.

In any case, more responses or just more presence would be cooler. Even a simple "Thanks" to see that you are around :)
Reply Quote
To Monstorous; Although pointless, I'd like to ask you, how many hours you have into all these concepts you've been kicking around thus far, just because you seem to be getting a fair bit of attention & what's more you have both the player eye & the blizzard ear....hmm.... maybe those should be future pvp items...
At any rate, I'm impressed so far, I've played many mods of the Diablo series & I'm interested to see how many, if any of your concepts are pushed & then implemented.
Reply Quote

You guys should do this more often, and in some unnoticed topics. A single blue post can sparkle a huge discussion. :)
Reply Quote
They should really get some of those MODDERS of D2 into talks with them in D3..

Median for example made a very nice mod that boosted D2 in an all new different level. There are other mods there too worth noting.

Please do come to the DH Class Forums too sometimes.. so far.. We've seen a Blue there once I think. ;) We have nice discussions in there also :P
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
To Monstorous; Although pointless, I'd like to ask you, how many hours you have into all these concepts you've been kicking around thus far, just because you seem to be getting a fair bit of attention & what's more you have both the player eye & the blizzard ear....hmm.... maybe those should be future pvp items...
At any rate, I'm impressed so far, I've played many mods of the Diablo series & I'm interested to see how many, if any of your concepts are pushed & then implemented.

I can't really answer this, many of the ideas have been floating around for a while. Actually grouping up the ideas and putting them into an actual post takes some time. I usually have some of the pictures already made before I begin and the text is written after. There are a couple times when I was writing something and I was like "Oh! I need to show this". Most times a picture can do more to get an idea across than any written piece.
Reply Quote
07/24/2013 03:36 PMPosted by Vaeflare

While you are at it, we would love to hear more about what, exactly, is the dev team's perspective for the loot 2.0. Be more transparent to the fanbase/playerbase, so that in case they are repeating the same mistake they did (loot 1.0) again. We can call it off before it's too late.
Reply Quote
Remove Magic Find? I Approve!

I like the part on rarity, too. (It would need the removal of random affixes, of course)

The recognition for discovery seems alright but the passive bonus aspect seems... a little off. You could provide... something else, even if just unlockable cosmetic options. I'd prefer to see any actual character power boosts coming from special game content, like 'uber levels', applied to characters that complete it.

I don't like the stat-upgrade mystic system. It makes items even more affix-focused stat sticks, dragging out purely statistical progression in a way that's even worse than the current item-to-item 'upgrade' nature of the game and taking away from loot hunting, as it was said by Zaxxon23:
First, Diablo has never been an "upgrade" game. WoW is an upgrade progression game, but Diablo is a LOOT HUNTING game. There is a huge difference. In Diablo, you hunt for loot, that may be an upgrade for your character, useful on an alt, or useful for trade. The moment you try to make Diablo into an "upgrade" game is the day that the spirit of a Diablo game ceases to exist.
Reply Quote

All players ask for is active participation and engagement.

Most of what has happened in the past few months has been anything but.
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 7/24/2013 4:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote

On how many fansites are you guys actually looking? And how many threads go completely unnoticed in this forum?

And do you have to wait for an "ok" from higher ups or can you just post in such threads as you please? I'm asking because there's usually not a lot to gain for any of the sides, blues or community. If you respond people think you will implement these.

As of my personal opinion... I don't like ANY of these suggestions because they are all absolutely unclear and waste a lot of potential (mystic shouldn't be just a degenerated statpusher, there's no need for more runes).
Reply Quote
We should have truly epic items above even legendary that are extremely rare and will ALWAYS be useable and no chance of being junk and of course I think it should be account bound when (or if) it ever drops for your account.

Switchable between characters but actually should be class specific. Not something that would really benefit more than one class. This might generate interest if you always play WD or Barb and you found a really incredible epic bow, wand or whatever. You might then want to give that particular class some playtime.

To go even further they should be sets with several pieces for each class. Only one item on the account at any given time so you won't get incredibly lucky twice and find the same item again. That would be disheartening. But they really should all be BIS to the point where no other leg, rare or any crafted item could compare.

Just a thought at something I would really like to see. I have played D1 all D2's and now D3 and this would be something to breath just a bit more life back into the game.
Reply Quote

If this dude had more than two brain cells he would realise a 15+ pages topic would never go by unread ! You shouldn't even bother answering to such stupid replies...
Reply Quote
I love the thought put into these ideas ... unfortunately I don't know if the developers really listen to the players ... ?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]