Diablo® III

LS nerf incoming

07/22/2013 08:24 PMPosted by Danatmorn
I don't even understand with all the things that can be fixed, Life Steal is even being talked about. I'm starting to wonder if Wyatt even knows what he is doing at all, because I cannot remember the last time that guy said anything productive.

+1
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 08:37 PMPosted by AxeLord
So does 3% life steal cut it for a barb or really any class doing say 100k damage ?

With 100k no.

But a monk with 200k DPS has a real dmg output of around a million with a common FoT-SW build.

Same goes for a 250k DPS ww barb.
Reply Quote
i want nerf!! no just kidding.

theyre talking about how fine the line between being tanky and being a glasscannon right now. and i agree. nerf or buff all you want blizz, as long as the mechanic feels more alive than it currently is, i dont care. go for it.

the mechanic they propose is pretty interesting. for those who already crying cause of the word "Ls nerf", i loled.

this is the same approach they take nerfing defensive stat and nerfing inferno difficulty back when MP patch comes out. so no need for alarm, im sure if they nerf Ls, they would come out with better healing mechanics.

come on, i want fury to life to be viable rather than just Ls. make it happen bliz, just balance it well.
Reply Quote
Maybe tomorrow Wyatt can talk about nerfing movement speed and Life on Hit.
Reply Quote
i swear most of these posters didnteven read the article lol.

You completely missed the point. It's not about the difficulty, it's about gameplay design. They were talking about making things less bursty, so there are grey areas between "I'm at full health and staying there indefinitely" or "oops I just died in half a second".
Edited by kamVINCI#6459 on 7/22/2013 8:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote

You completely missed the point. It's not about the difficulty, it's about gameplay design. They were talking about making things less bursty, so there are grey areas between "I'm at full health and staying there indefinitely" or "oops I just died in half a second".

Sure they did. Wyatt stated he thinks life steal is too good. Problem is, the game is dependant on being melee. Life steal is mandatory for almost everyone to play at higher mps because the devs failed miserably at making ranged viable.
Reply Quote
well. they can certainly implement some depth (but then again some might say its leading to analysis paralysis) by implementing multiple kinds of hitpoints (eg: megaversal rpgs have mdc/sdc/hitpoints).

so lets have two kinds of hitpoints.
hp (hp)
shp (structural hp)

structural hp can only be healed by potions/life after kill/regen/lpss/healing skills
hp (can be healed by any means esp lifesteal/loh).

structural hp forms 1/4 of your total hp. means if you don't eat potions/health globes, your hp will only be 3/4 of max after you tack on damage.

but you think that can be bypassed by having a 1/4 more ehp to deal with structural hp healing issues right?

so we make structural hp have effects on your character, ie: you will want to keep structural hp up.

losing structural hp drops your dps output.
so it should scale like this.
75% of structural hp remaining = dps output now 80% (ergo: lifesteal/loh now 75% of usual)
50% of structural hp remaining = dps output now 70%
25% of structural hp remaining = dps output now 50%
0% of structural hp remaming = dps output now 25%

so what it means is that as a character you now have to add health regen, health globes/lpss as part of your character's stats. no more chasing dps as pure life recovery.

so how do you lose structural hp. this can be tweaked.
eg: 1/10th to 1/5th of all damage taken is taken as structural damage.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 7/22/2013 8:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Sweet for WW barbs... nerf lifesteal and don't bother fixing the rubber banding horribleness. Did all the good game designers die of drug overdoses or something?
Edited by Salsasweats#1112 on 7/22/2013 8:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Sure they did. Wyatt stated he thinks life steal is too good. Problem is, the game is dependant on being melee. Life steal is mandatory for almost everyone to play at higher mps because the devs failed miserably at making ranged viable.

and they are trying to discuss on how to fix these. why are you crying about Ls if theyre gona do something else also viable and more awesome. are you afraid of change?
Reply Quote
well. they can certainly implement some depth (but then again some might say its leading to analysis paralysis) by implementing multiple kinds of hitpoints (eg: megaversal rpgs have mdc/sdc/hitpoints).

so lets have two kinds of hitpoints.
hp (hp)
shp (structural hp)

structural hp can only be healed by potions/life after kill/regen/lpss/healing skills
hp (can be healed by any means esp lifesteal/loh).

structural hp forms 1/4 of your total hp. means if you don't eat potions/health globes, your hp will only be 3/4 of max after you tack on damage.

but you think that can be bypassed by having a 1/4 more ehp to deal with structural hp healing issues right?

so we make structural hp have effects on your character, ie: you will want to keep structural hp up.

losing structural hp drops your dps output.
so it should scale like this.
75% of structural hp remaining = dps output now 80% (ergo: lifesteal/loh now 75% of usual)
50% of structural hp remaining = dps output now 70%
25% of structural hp remaining = dps output now 50%
0% of structural hp remaming = dps output now 25%

so what it means is that as a character you now have to add health regen, health globes/lpss as part of your character's stats. no more chasing dps as pure life recovery.

so how do you lose structural hp. this can be tweaked.
eg: 1/10th to 1/5th of all damage taken is taken as structural damage.

^thats is the normal argument that we should have about this matter, not something dumb like

Nah.. how is it possible to nerf something that is only 0.20 effective from paper number? Nerf it any further will make it negative.
Reply Quote
The sky...is like... falling.
Reply Quote
Changing how a mechanic works in a game doesn't necessarily mean a "nerf" people.

Sit down and relax.
Reply Quote
So people won't be able to faceroll everything while watching TV and will actually have to pay attention to the game. Oh the horror!! This stat is in no little part why melee combat is so prevalent at the moment. There's actually very little drawbacks to play melee aside from having to offset your position every now and then (barbs don't even have to account for positioning lol), since you just need some of LL, some moderate defensive stats and you can facetank anything like a champ. Heck, you don't even need a shield like in the good old inferno days to do it.

If monks are indeed having such lousy defensive skills, perhaps they should adjust them appropriately to be coherent with this change, but it's undeniable life leech is stupidly overpowered atm, specially considering anyone can get 150k+ dps easily right now. In fact, it's possible this change wouldn't even need to be done if they hadn't allowed damage to scale out of proportion in such a horrible way, but if they are crying about this one, i don't want to imagine the outrage over normalizing damage as a whole (ONOES DUN TAKESZ MUH 5M CRITZ NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!)

It's funny, though. So many people are whining because the game is sooooo easy (go figure), yet they oppose any changes that ccould hinder in any way the way they faceroll pretty much anything.
Edited by Blashyrkh#1824 on 7/22/2013 9:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I feel like Blizz is angry that people still play D3 and they are trying to kill it now- so they just keep making it crappier and crappier until it's frakin Ghosts n' goblins
Reply Quote
ghosts n' goblins had way more engaging gameplay though
Reply Quote
If monks are indeed having such lousy defensive skills, perhaps they should adjust them appropriately to be coherent with this change, but it's undeniable life leech is stupidly overpowered atm, specially considering anyone can get 150k+ dps easily right now. In fact, it's possible this change wouldn't even need to be done if they hadn't allowed damage to scale out of proportion in such a horrible way, but if they are crying about this one, i don't want to imagine the outrage over normalizing damage as a whole (ONOES DUN TAKESZ MUH 5M CRITZ NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!)

i smell CD nerf :D
Reply Quote
See thats the prolem you stack all your gear for 1 specific attribute or skill. Spread the butter like I did my WD is a dominator.
Reply Quote
thats why im in favour of CD nerf. :D
Reply Quote
Wow. Every time Wyatt started talking about ranged and melee classes it just became more and more clear that he has no idea what he's talking about.
Reply Quote
and here i thought that d3 cant get any worse, i am proven wrong, good job blizzard
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]