Diablo® III

Players over 65 please say "Hi"

Well
I'm only going on 62 but I'll say Hi anyway. Good to see you are playing, I always was wondering how many folks like me (more or less) played.
My first computer game was on a DEC PDP 1170 (at work no less)- sort of Star Trek ASCII thing, pretty primitive by today's standards.
Most of the fun is when the wife and I and the daughter and her husband play together, drops are better too.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
There was a post earlier suggesting that Blizzard highlight older gamers during one of their community segments. I wanted to second that post! I suspect most of the folks in the thread agree. It is awesome to see folks using games to keep their minds sharp and their friends close while having some fun.
Reply Quote
am 73.5 years of age. been playing rpg's of some sort since UO opened about 20 years ago. since then played everything from Ascheron's Call 1 and 2; D1 and D2; EQ2; Horizon's; Auto Assault, WOW and others.

My main is my Monk but just recently got my Wiz to 60 and in Act 4 Inferno trying to beat game again

Still remember playing Bard's Tale on an AppleII GS in the late 80's

Tonsils, the elderly Monk
Edited by Doc#1545 on 7/22/2013 6:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Never thought I'd find a thread where at 56 I'm one of the youngsters. Wife of 30+ years is also a gamer, but not Diablo.
Reply Quote
GAME TILL YOU DROP!
Reply Quote
GAME TILL YOU DROP! If I could die a good death it would be camping storm feather in Everquest Scars of Velious!
Reply Quote
I want to hear from Okinawa Japan, give me 100+ year old gamer...
Reply Quote
Trying to keep this thread on front page...so more of we seniors can see it
Reply Quote
Here I was continuously asking myself "is 26 too old for gaming?".
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 06:07 PMPosted by MissCheetah
There was a post earlier suggesting that Blizzard highlight older gamers during one of their community segments. I wanted to second that post! I suspect most of the folks in the thread agree. It is awesome to see folks using games to keep their minds sharp and their friends close while having some fun.

They should do that for sure, show some respect for our elder gamers!
Reply Quote
Nah. It's about balancing work and play. Age is only a number anyway :)
Reply Quote
KILLDOC, i know what u wanna say...thx for ur consolation.....
I am an asian and i still love my ex-GF...I am only 19, too young comparing to u and ur wife....
I like playing game since i was very young. I still remembered when i was in primary school, my mother(very strict to me)only allows me to play 1 hour games per week. I feel unsatisfied and i played it secretly. Once being found, i will be punished.
Based on the education system and culture background(u know asians r always tired, most of us dont know how to enjoy life), more or less, i still hold the opinion that the student who plays too much games is not a good student.
So to make up my child life, i play so many games when my parents r not around. My GPA drops from 4.25 to 3.4 due to playing games especially when playing elder scroll....As i say, based on culture background, asians r always tired(especiaally in ur eyes).In school, we do best to get the appreciation from the teacher. After graduating from school, we do best to make money, to get apprreciation from others: friends, boss, spouse....
In this sense, i still dont think my ex-GF is wrong...Different people hold different opions xD..
Any good loots these days?i find ur dps increasing. lol
Reply Quote
Violin,
First let me say I meant no criticism of your exGF. My comment was intended in a joking and friendly way because I am aware a lot of people do not understand there can be positive ramifications of gaming.
Secondly, please know that I hold great respect for the individual responsibility aspect of the Asian culture. Too often I see much too little of this in the Western cultures. I can also appreciate how one can allow gaming to become a negative part of their life.
I am upgrading my eqpt. mostly by finding and purchasing it in the AH. I have come to the conclusion that loot drops and crafting alone will never provide me with the stuff I need to fully enjoy D3. I am not alone in this opinion and it is a criticism I have of Blizzard. I feel that a game should provide reasonable loot for the average play to fully enjoy the game. If relentless, expert crafting effort is to be required then it should be something of an "option" offered by way of a particular set of skills.
One player's opinion!
Reply Quote
Sir, I respect you as my elder, but I have to respectfully disagree with you about the loot.

I feel that as a player levels his/her character from 1-60, better and better loot should be found, but only as it pertains to completing the game and finally defeating Diablo on Inferno.

As the game is now, a player can level his character, finding progressively better and better gear as he makes his way through the difficulty levels, and cap it off by defeating Diablo at the end of Inferno. It may be challenging at times! But it is completely doable.

But if you are suggesting (and I believe you are, seeing as how the above is already established) that the really good gear should be available to any and all players who put in time sufficient to level to 60 and defeat Diablo - or even the gear needed to level all the way to paragon 100 - I am afraid I have to disagree.

I do not believe the best gear should be available to a player. I believe that would place a stranglehold on the need for a community. As it stands, we need each other. I can't find the best gear all the time - I can find some really good stuff, and have...but not all the time. If I did, I wouldn't need other people. And you know what? By me not "needing them", that would decrease the value of their loot, and subsequently, the value of their hunt. The great feeling of finding that perfect item is enhanced tenfold by that item's rarity, and it's need. As a community, we need each other. To take that away, and make the best of loot easily attainable - well, what can I say? If money grew on trees, it would lose it's value. That's true in this game, as well.

Of course, that's not to say that there can't be a balance. When this game was first released, there really wasn't much in the way of balance. But now, I think there is. It really comes down to what you want from this game. If you want to play solo, and use only what you find - you can do that. And with luck and dedication, you can fell Diablo on Inferno. If you want to hit the top 50 in DPS for your character and level to paragon 100, you can do that, as well. It just takes lot's of luck, knowing how to use the auction house, and how to parlay good drops into good drops that you can use via trading, selling, and buying. And if you are some lazy person who has money and wants it all now, well, you can be accommodated as well - and in doing so give even more value to the drops we find.

So no sir, I do not believe the best items should come easy. I believe if they did, Diablo 3 would lose much of what makes it Diablo.
Edited by Darkul#1370 on 7/26/2013 7:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm not 65, but wow that's awesome that you all still play. And to had a wife who plays too, man you hit the jackpot. I'm 36 and hope to play the rest of my life. I tip my hat to you sir....
Reply Quote
Darkul,
You have made my point, but also misrepresented some of what I said.
First, I did not state that "the best items should come easy". Secondly, and to my point, you state " It just takes lot's of luck, knowing how to use the auction house, and how to parlay good drops into good drops that you can use via trading, selling, and buying." and " As a community, we need each other". These statements presume that no one should be playing D3 as a solo player and that is my criticism of the game. I have no bone to pick with any one who chooses to play a game that requires, by design, the player to be a member of "the community". However, the game is also advertised as playable in solo mode which may be technically possible but I challenge any one to reach the maximum level of enjoyment without depending on "the community". I would like to hear an explanation from Blizzard why the option of solo, which would exclude access to the AH and joining a party, while providing for those exclusions would not be viable. The answer, my friend, is that such would reduce the price solo players pay to Blizzard.
In the meantime I will continue playing the game so long as it remains enjoyable to me.
Reply Quote
This is a community game and that's the only way to get the most out of it. If that is something you don't care for as much, I am truly sorry - maybe Diablo III isn't for you.

I, for one, don't want it to have the optional solo focus, for it may compromise the community, even if only a little.
Reply Quote
Wow, you have a LOT of vitality, but barely any damage. Your wife must be the damage dealer.

As a divorced man, I can tell you this... they always are.
Reply Quote
07/27/2013 11:42 AMPosted by modu
Wow, you have a LOT of vitality, but barely any damage. Your wife must be the damage dealer.

As a divorced man, I can tell you this... they always are.
Woman hath no power over me.
Edited by Darkul#1370 on 7/27/2013 12:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just back from a long break in the game, 54 here, I will run with some folks on this thread It would be my pleasure. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]