Diablo® III

Do you wish D3 was more 'evil'?

Listening to the soundtrack of Diablo 1 (such as this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHOy0QOdHOg), I can't help but think how little gloom there is in Diablo 3.

Yes, the corpses and the gore are both in there. It's not a child-friendly game by any means. But I think it lacks all of that distinctly 'evil' atmosphere which was so prevalent in both Diablo 1 and 2.

The stuff that made you feel frightened, depressed, and completely hopeless. There was no joy in the world, only misery. All you could do was stay alive against the legions of Hell as their endless numbers swarmed out of the ground.

So how do you feel about this? Should Diablo 3 have more of that characteristically dark, gloomy, and evil atmosphere that Diablo 2 and even more so Diablo 1 had?

I think it'd be better if it had:

- Light Radius
- A more noticeable and sinister soundtrack
- A slightly altered colour palette
- More 'Gothic' architecture in the expansions
- Solo content, like an endless dungeon (perhaps HC only?)
- Less dialogue and cliché
- Fewer followers and NPCs bugging you
Edited by Cyberbard#2464 on 7/21/2013 5:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yes, absolutely! Something like D2, but a little more polished, would be great. While D2 was fairly bright and not moody as D1 I think it works because it's a faster paced game.
Reply Quote
Definitely miss the old D1/D2 soundtracks. They crush D3's
Reply Quote
Leah is the problem. The art styles are alright, and the music is not good but not the problem. Leah is just insufferable.
Reply Quote
07/21/2013 10:48 AMPosted by papadanko
Leah is the problem. The art styles are alright, and the music is not good but not the problem. Leah is just insufferable.

In what way?
Reply Quote
Just too much of her during the story. Your character just acts as a dartboard for her sentiment. Also the annoying dichotomy of her being repetitive and childish yet occasionally having a grown woman's insight. It doesn't make for a complex character, it just seems uneven.
Reply Quote
07/21/2013 11:27 AMPosted by papadanko
Just too much of her during the story. Your character just acts as a dartboard for her sentiment. Also the annoying dichotomy of her being repetitive and childish yet occasionally having a grown woman's insight. It doesn't make for a complex character, it just seems uneven.

In that case, I see your point. The narrative and the way it takes you through the story does contribute towards the more childish, or less 'evil', atmosphere. I wish we were more abandoned, on our own. You bring up a good point in alluding to the fact that we always have people around us, and they always tell us what to do. It's like we're fighting, but it's their story.
Reply Quote
Listening to the soundtrack of Diablo 1 (such as this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHOy0QOdHOg), I can't help but think how little gloom there is in Diablo 3.

Yes, the corpses and the gore are both in there. It's not a child-friendly game by any means. But I think it lacks all of that distinctly 'evil' atmosphere which was so prevalent in both Diablo 1 and 2.

The stuff that made you feel frightened, depressed, and completely hopeless. There was no joy in the world, only misery. All you could do was stay alive against the legions of Hell as their endless numbers swarmed out of the ground.

So how do you feel about this? Should Diablo 3 have more of that characteristically dark, gloomy, and evil atmosphere that Diablo 2 and even more so Diablo 1 had?

I think it'd be better if it had:

- Light Radius
- A more noticeable and sinister soundtrack
- A slightly altered colour palette
- More 'Gothic' architecture in the expansions
- Solo content, like an endless dungeon (perhaps HC only?)

Stopped reading after your example of "gloomy" music was the music from Sanctuary.

You literally go to both Heaven and Hell in D3 how much gloomier can you get?
Reply Quote

The devs probably reason like you, which is why D3 isn't gloomy at all. Just throwing some sinister elements in there won't create gloom (& doom). It's like making a horror film and using too much shock value and easy scares. That doesn't create a masterpiece.

D1 and 2 had stories, environment design, art, and music that literally made you feel alone and desperate. D3 makes you feel like you are playing a game of eSports, that happens to have lots of blood and gore in it.
Reply Quote
The elements in D3 are dark but the game itself looks like wyrmshire.
Reply Quote
You bring up a good point in alluding to the fact that we always have people around us, and they always tell us what to do. It's like we're fighting, but it's their story.

Exactly. You don't go five minutes without someone shouting at you about something, especially if you have a follower.

And Maghda. Ugh.
Reply Quote

The devs probably reason like you, which is why D3 isn't gloomy at all. Just throwing some sinister elements in there won't create gloom (& doom). It's like making a horror film and using too much shock value and easy scares. That doesn't create a masterpiece.

D1 and 2 had stories, environment design, art, and music that literally made you feel alone and desperate. D3 makes you feel like you are playing a game of eSports, that happens to have lots of blood and gore in it.

D1's entire story consisted of "Here's some random village you showed up in. Oh, look! A dungeon! Hey, maybe you should keep going down further into it...Oh, look! Diablo! Kill him! Okay, you're done now..."

D2 I didn't play as much as D1, but from what I did play, I can say that the story was just as formulaic. The only difference being that they made the game much larger than D1.

If you want to bash D3's story for not making you feel like you're alone and desperate (yeah, Foo Fighters!), here's a tip: you're not supposed to be alone and desperate. This is now the third time the world has face Diablo, it's the 3rd game with Deckard Cain fighting him in some fashion, the world knows what's up by this point.

To be honest, the whole idea of being some random stranger saving the world is kind of played out. I think they could have made it a little bit darker, sure. But i certainly don't think the graphics look "cartoony", or like everything belongs in Whimsyshire. I think the main reason that the graphics of the predecessors looked so dark was because they were so heavily pixelated in comparison to modern graphics.

Nor do I think the game would have benefited from being as dark as Metro: 2034/Last Light, IMHO.
Reply Quote

D1's entire story consisted of "Here's some random village you showed up in. Oh, look! A dungeon! Hey, maybe you should keep going down further into it...Oh, look! Diablo! Kill him! Okay, you're done now..."

D2 I didn't play as much as D1, but from what I did play, I can say that the story was just as formulaic. The only difference being that they made the game much larger than D1.

If you want to bash D3's story for not making you feel like you're alone and desperate (yeah, Foo Fighters!), here's a tip: you're not supposed to be alone and desperate. This is now the third time the world has face Diablo, it's the 3rd game with Deckard Cain fighting him in some fashion, the world knows what's up by this point.

To be honest, the whole idea of being some random stranger saving the world is kind of played out. I think they could have made it a little bit darker, sure. But i certainly don't think the graphics look "cartoony", or like everything belongs in Whimsyshire. I think the main reason that the graphics of the predecessors looked so dark was because they were so heavily pixelated in comparison to modern graphics.

Nor do I think the game would have benefited from being as dark as Metro: 2034/Last Light, IMHO.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

While Diablo 1 came out in the days when video games were still nearly exclusively shallow and rather one-dimensional, I think they (Condor / Blizzard North) created a masterpiece for other reasons.

The tone of the narrative, the colour palette, the music, the environment design, and the solitary gameplay which puts you in a very exposed position all blend extremely well. Together, they create a dreary, desolate, gloomy, and hopeless world and gaming experience.

Naturally, D1 and D2 were not as smooth and polished as D3. There are a lot of improvements in D3 as well. But when it comes to the narrative and environmental design, it is very easy to see that the current Blizzard is more inspired by comics, manga / anime, and WoW, than anything else. I'm not bashing those art forms or hobbies, by the way. But I do claim that they do not mix well with what Diablo is supposed to be.

It needs to be influenced by Europe of the Dark Ages and similar sources. That's where we, culturally, best define that mood I'm talking of.

Plus, I don't think the stories of D1 and D2 are bad. Relatively simple - sure. But not bad. They did what they were supposed to do, and aided the environment and world around you in alienating you and putting you on the spot.

It wasn't 'Here's a random hole in some backwater town, go kill Diablo.'

It was 'You are alone, and there is nothing in this world to make you safe or happy - all you can do is stay alive, and try to overcome an unbeatable foe.'

And it isn't the low pixel density in D1 and D2 that made the art so dark. Just look at several modern AARPGs, like Grim Dawn or Path of Exile. They both capture the Diablo feel rather well, albeit with less polish. Diablo 3 does not.
Reply Quote
Yes the lush green jungles and bright deserts of diablo 2 were soooo Gothic horror.

I think act 1 and 3 nail it aesthetically for the most part.

All the indoor areas are fantastic I think. Halls of agony, cathedral, keep depths, various mini dungeons in act 3. I'd like to see more stuff like that in the expac, less open field type areas. Though I do think fields of slaughter is very well done.

And it isn't the low pixel density in D1 and D2 that made the art so dark. Just look at several modern AARPGs, like Grim Dawn or Path of Exile. They both capture the Diablo feel rather well, albeit with less polish. Diablo 3 does not.

I haven't seen grim dawn but I don't think the atmosphere in Path of Exile is at all reminiscent of diablo one or two. They did nail the grainy textures though.
Edited by Snack#1534 on 7/21/2013 1:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/21/2013 01:13 PMPosted by Cyberbard
Plus, I don't think the stories of D1 and D2 are bad. Relatively simple - sure. But not bad.

D2 had some very great and dramatic CG movie clips and they were great in supporting the dark mood of the game. The villains didn't talk in-game, the followers didn't either.. everything was up to the imagination of the player. And that is a good thing!

D3: talk talk talk.. constant talk everywhere you go.. "hi, i'm a child, not belial, I promise", "you will die! - oh you didn't? oh well, you'll never destroy my.. whut? oh you did? oh heck, you will never... eh? oh you did that too? hmm.. but I am the lord of SIN WHAAHAHAHAHAHAAA! .. I will destroy yo !? oh you killed me" "that hell rift doesn't matterrrr I've a-nother one! ROAR!", "look! more hidden pootfrints!"

Yeah, sets a great mood. Sigh.

Luckily we can ignore that because the content is just so awesome! All of those vast multi-level dungeons and the ever changing randomized world! "No two games are ever the same!" HELL YEAH!
Reply Quote
D1 is by far the scariest of all Diablo games.

D2 was already cartoony incomparison to D1.

and D3 is approaching Warcraft level cartoonyness
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I think the awful story and horrible characters fundamentally altered the environment and atmosphere of the game in a way that doesn't really have anything to do with the art or sound departments.
Reply Quote
Yes the lush green jungles and bright deserts of diablo 2 were soooo Gothic horror.

I think act 1 and 3 nail it aesthetically for the most part.

All the indoor areas are fantastic I think. Halls of agony, cathedral, keep depths, various mini dungeons in act 3. I'd like to see more stuff like that in the expac, less open field type areas. Though I do think fields of slaughter is very well done.

I haven't seen grim dawn but I don't think the atmosphere in Path of Exile is at all reminiscent of diablo one or two. They did nail the grainy textures though.

Surely, you jest?

Obviously lush jungles don't contain Gothic architecture. But the tone of the first act carried over through the other acts, because the mood was set. Colour scheme, music, etc. all continued along the same vibes, so the fact that you changed area didn't really matter in that regard. Which was brilliant.

I think a few areas in D3 are nice. Act 1 is my favourite, because it is most reminiscent of the old games, and it's the only act which feels relatively long. The others were done when I thought I was halfway through, the first time I played Diablo 3.

Plus, all areas feel very generic and alike in D3. No randomization.
Reply Quote
Bump
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]