Diablo® III

Do you wish D3 was more 'evil'?

07/21/2013 01:35 PMPosted by Sjippie
D3: talk talk talk.. constant talk everywhere you go.. "hi, i'm a child, not belial, I promise", "you will die! - oh you didn't? oh well, you'll never destroy my.. whut? oh you did? oh heck, you will never... eh? oh you did that too? hmm.. but I am the lord of SIN WHAAHAHAHAHAHAAA! .. I will destroy yo !? oh you killed me" "that hell rift doesn't matterrrr I've a-nother one! ROAR!", "look! more hidden pootfrints!"

"It's on the table." "We're discussing it." "We're thinking about it..."

You see where I'm going with this? All talk, no walk.
Reply Quote
07/21/2013 01:24 PMPosted by Snack
I haven't seen grim dawn

Grim Dawn looks really sweet, but it is a ways off from being ready.
Reply Quote
View profile
07/21/2013 11:09 AMPosted by Cyberbard
Leah is the problem. The art styles are alright, and the music is not good but not the problem. Leah is just insufferable.

In what way?

In the way that the wise man who spent his whole life researching dark, dank tombs is replaced by some emo-goth 18 year old girl? Then she dies anyways.
Reply Quote
Heh...
As much as I enjoy one sided arguments & I do, the game is in need of refurbishment, some of the most significant things in especial.
However as to the new lay out, I enjoy the arcade look & feel of the game, however, I disdain heavily on the villan(s), the plot is actually fantastic, however the story is so BADLY told.
Just my opinion.

07/21/2013 12:23 PMPosted by End
And Maghda. Ugh.

^ Yes

07/21/2013 01:35 PMPosted by Sjippie
D3: talk talk talk.. constant talk everywhere you go.. "hi, i'm a child, not belial, I promise", "you will die! - oh you didn't? oh well, you'll never destroy my.. whut? oh you did? oh heck, you will never... eh? oh you did that too? hmm.. but I am the lord of SIN WHAAHAHAHAHAHAAA! .. I will destroy yo !? oh you killed me" "that hell rift doesn't matterrrr I've a-nother one! ROAR!", "look! more hidden pootfrints!"

^ Indeed...

Some of the corny bad guys or lines in this failed to impress my 7 year old...my SEVEN year old...
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 is closer to WoW than Diablo.
Reply Quote
I really wish Blizzard would acknowledge this thread. This is the reason why I cant stomach to play the game anymore. I quit playing halfway into nightmare because I cant stand the whole atmosphere of D3.

Folks can say to ignore the story, turn off dialog, etc. But thats not it, its the whole game that just oozes cuteness and whimsey and that just doesnt belong in the Diablo universe.

I was looking forward to playing a new Diablo game again and this is what we got... A cute Leah talking about her uncles crazy stories, Magda, a horrible rehash of the Butcher, a little kid reminiscent of the one from the phantom menace, the main boss has boobs, instead of treading into hell we get to go to a place where the main protoss character fits better in than our character. Ugh....theres more but I just cant take it anymore.

Its almost as if the new D3 Dev team either a. didnt get it, or b. didnt care. I suspect it was b. I think they wanted to make "their" version of Diablo and to heck with the original games and fanbase.

Well, I can only speak for myself but after playing this horrid excuse for a game I will not be purchasing the expansion or any other Blizz game for that matter. I want to play a Diablo game, not some sort of disney made for all ages game.

The sad part is the no amount of patching will fix this part of the game. We are stuck with it.
Edited by Kev#1168 on 7/21/2013 4:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I 100% agree with this post. There aren't even pentagrams on the game menu when you hit the ESC key. I actually believed this game was Teen rating lol
Reply Quote

In the way that the wise man who spent his whole life researching dark, dank tombs is replaced by some emo-goth 18 year old girl? Then she dies anyways.

Uh, don't remind me. I hated the fact that they killed off Cain to replace him with Leah. New, fresh blood. Then she just... dies anyway.

But I'm sure her story will carry over to the expansion. We will rescue her soul from the Black Abyss or something.
Reply Quote
While we're at it lets put a out a hit for Elvis & possibly the christian messiah to return as well, they would have been better characters in game anyways...
Reply Quote
View profile
absolutely - darker atmosphere, more eerie music with true Diablo themes/motifs
Reply Quote
Listening to the soundtrack of Diablo 1 (such as this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHOy0QOdHOg), I can't help but think how little gloom there is in Diablo 3.

Yes, the corpses and the gore are both in there. It's not a child-friendly game by any means. But I think it lacks all of that distinctly 'evil' atmosphere which was so prevalent in both Diablo 1 and 2.

The stuff that made you feel frightened, depressed, and completely hopeless. There was no joy in the world, only misery. All you could do was stay alive against the legions of Hell as their endless numbers swarmed out of the ground.

So how do you feel about this? Should Diablo 3 have more of that characteristically dark, gloomy, and evil atmosphere that Diablo 2 and even more so Diablo 1 had?

I think it'd be better if it had:

- Light Radius
- A more noticeable and sinister soundtrack
- A slightly altered colour palette
- More 'Gothic' architecture in the expansions
- Solo content, like an endless dungeon (perhaps HC only?)

To be honest, I don't know why anyone clumps D2 into Diablo's territory. D2 was significantly less gloomy and dark than its predecessor. The franchise has long since moved away from the horror that once defined it. D3 is the least melancholy of the three, but it isn't as bright as some people criticize it for. It definitely has more blood and gore than its predecessor without a doubt, but it holds very little else. The alpha version of D3 was pretty gloomy though, the tileset of the Cathedral was also akin to Leoric's crypts, it used more cool colors over the warmer colors it currently uses.
Moreover, anyone remember the whole Thousand Pounder ritual? There were three female sacrifices (probably virgins/you know demonic cult and all), where did that level of grit go? Instead we getting overly talkative Azmodan who makes himself sound pathetic and Diablo who has even less reason to talk. Then the whole random Izual appearance made no sense, it was like he was just thrown in to give Act IV another boss. It isn't that hard to actually tone down D3's atmosphere, I've mulled over what set Diablo apart from everything that followed several times already. A great deal of it has to do with the cliche taunting from bosses. The less they speak, the more mysterious they are meaning they are harder to personify.

For demons particularly the Lords of Hell, the less they speak, the less human they feel. Demons are inhuman and otherworldly creatures of pure evil, a person can't reasonably expect to understand that and retain their sanity. In fact, according to Diablo lore, the D2 heroes went mad from their experiences, yet we really don't get that vibe much in D3. Historically Diablo has had very little to say until D3, the only one I can think of is his one liner from the battle with him in D2, I don't think he said anything in Diablo. Moreover, the atmosphere and his actions alone tell the story without him having to utter a word.
Same thing applies to D3, if they simply cut off all but a few words for the Diamond Gates cinematic and when you reach him at the Crystal Arch, the visuals alone give you a good enough sense of what is happening. Alongside the imagery in the cinematic and what the Angiris Council has to say along the way, that is sufficient, his talking just kind of kills the inhuman aspect. The dialogue during the phases of the battle are also lackluster and are better off not being said especially given this running joke: "TERROAR!"

A few other things are just changing the color palettes or tweaking them a little. I believe Wyatt actually replied to this in an interview. To help kill the monotony of seeing the exact same thing over and over, (Example: Cathedral) they are thinking about small ways to change up the experience or at least make it less predictable. So parts of the Cathedral might have that desaturated look of Leoric's Crypts mixed in randomly, or each time you enter the Cathedral, it has a different tileset active.
It wasn't exactly clear, but you get the idea. Not only does this improve the game by making it less predictable and boring, but it also means a more desaturated look can make its way into the game or return to certain areas of the game. They've also acknowledged how these random events are insignificant particularly with the monster density changes, so there seems to be a lot more emphasis and providing more randomization, thankfully. A return of some Diablo tracks would also be nice, the Wagnerian style music really only fits small portions of the game like parts of Act III. I think the music needs to return to its roots, and bring back Tristram's theme, FFS, you can just play it at Tristram's ruins if you don't want to get rid of New Tristram's boring theme.

Some steps to improve D3's atmosphere aren't hard whatsoever while others need considerable work. Act II frankly is the most badly damaged of the lot. Belial couldn't deceive anyone over the age of 6. Moreover, his whole impersonation of Hakkan could have been used for a far more interesting turn of events and added grit which Diablo is known for. There was also heavy neglect of the political turmoil in Caldeum. Belial should have been manipulative, deceiving, and overall the whole Act was far too straightforward rather than utilizing much plot devices.

Frankly, I find Belial and Act II the biggest missed opportunity in the game. It would require significant reworking to fix this Act's atmosphere, but I'd settle for any atmosphere improvements. Though I don't think the light radius has anything to do with it so much as the art department wanting their work acknowledge so badly that they sacrificed the atmosphere to get some of their flavor in. For instance, actual dungeon zones like the Keep Depths often have far too many torches very close to one another, and some skill animations are too bright that it feels like a real immersion breaker. Sadly, Blizzard is trying to hit on the comfortable way to play D3, Diablo was never comfortable to play through, not much anyway, you could die pretty easily and you could be surprised at any moment.
The writing in Blizzard titles has declined significantly over the years. Some themes and plot elements are still fairly decent or good, but the execution is quite off. I think the whole sacrificing Leah to resurrect Diablo could have very well been impactful, but it really felt cliche how they handled it especially with regards to the dialogue. When she is demonically possessed, Leah's voice should have been distorted heavily, and she shouldn't have talked very long, the whole "Prime Evil" thing felt really forced to hear her voice actress say. The voice talent in the game is decent, but I'd question how they chose to use certain characters and whom voiced them.

There is very little gothic in D3, the barest scraps of its are in Act I in the Cathedral, and even then I'd hardly call that gothic influenced. The opening cinematic has a gothic vibe, but the in-game Cathedral loses all of that pretty swiftly. Tis a shame really, hope they try better in the future. Ureh is ideal for a more horror aspect; however, lets hope they don't wreck it the way they've done the current game.
Reply Quote
Yeah, Because Diablo was an occult game and mysterious game....
Now they turned it into an arcade game where even bad guys and major bad guys babbling to you non stop...

Listening to the soundtrack of Diablo 1 (such as this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHOy0QOdHOg), I can't help but think how little gloom there is in Diablo 3.

Yes, the corpses and the gore are both in there. It's not a child-friendly game by any means. But I think it lacks all of that distinctly 'evil' atmosphere which was so prevalent in both Diablo 1 and 2.

The stuff that made you feel frightened, depressed, and completely hopeless. There was no joy in the world, only misery. All you could do was stay alive against the legions of Hell as their endless numbers swarmed out of the ground.

So how do you feel about this? Should Diablo 3 have more of that characteristically dark, gloomy, and evil atmosphere that Diablo 2 and even more so Diablo 1 had?

I think it'd be better if it had:

- Light Radius
- A more noticeable and sinister soundtrack
- A slightly altered colour palette
- More 'Gothic' architecture in the expansions
- Solo content, like an endless dungeon (perhaps HC only?)

To be honest, I don't know why anyone clumps D2 into Diablo's territory. D2 was significantly less gloomy and dark than its predecessor. The franchise has long since moved away from the horror that once defined it. D3 is the least melancholy of the three, but it isn't as bright as some people criticize it for. It definitely has more blood and gore than its predecessor without a doubt, but it holds very little else. The alpha version of D3 was pretty gloomy though, the tileset of the Cathedral was also akin to Leoric's crypts, it used more cool colors over the warmer colors it currently uses.

I think that what people meant is that although Diablo 2 is kinda have less gore and occult like the old game, but it didnt completely remove that feel like what Diablo 3 did..
Diablo 3 is extremely devoid of the gore, occult, and mysterious horror feeling.
Its completely gone. ZERO. It perfectly feels the same like those old Classic Gauntlet game..
Even your bad guys felt less than a bad guy, Less Demonic.
Azmodan, Diablo, and Belial felt humanized.
They(Azmodan, Diablo, and Belial) doesnt felt like a DEMON at all.
Do you know, when a demon just talks to much and behave as such what we seen in Diablo 3.
It felt less fear, we finally know this smucks, stupid and humanized demon...
Demon dont talk, You read demon description and story from tomes like what Diablo 1 and 2 did.
Not an overblown talking yapping here and there...
And I HATE Gauntlet...

One huge note on what Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 does.
Demons doesnt introduce themself in.
But You gain their bio, history, and sitrep from tomes and stories from NPC.
And When you finally found this guys, They design it to match the description from tomes and stories from NCP.
Example: Diablo 1, The butcher, butchering every one.
Well you heard this story from NPC.
And when you are wondering in the dungeon. You open the door and you heard sound, an unusual sound, Arhhh Fresh Meat, and there comes an UNUSSUAL monster with a big cleaver in his hand, Thats feeling, "OHHH SHIEETTTTTT feeling. THis IS THE GUY!"
The story is FELT in our own hands, The feeling.
That what most horror games done in their game.
Less talk, story gives mysticism, mysterious events. But you must feel the game to know.

Thats why story must not be forced on your throat,
The art of story telling on every Role Playing Game,
And Diablo 1 and 2 are ARPG...
Edited by WhiteBootz#6395 on 7/21/2013 5:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
-Diablo 1 had great atmosphere and THE BEST MUSIC
-Diablo 2 was dark but not as good as it No1.Cinematics were a huge bonus in No2
-Diablo 3 has mediocre music-atmosphere.Dialog sucks,too much talking
Things to do(some are easy)
-Replace Magda with a succubus model,that is a little bigger and has more thorns or something special in contrast to the other succubus you meet in the game
-All lore should be voiced with deckard cains voice
-Too much color.Lower it a bit maybe???Make dark3d mod an official one?Pay the guy and put it in the expansion?
-Bosses and monsters are not so evil in design.Look at butcher from No1 and No3...Take a look at mephisto from No2.Has some pretty impressive design.Look at asmodan now.Pretty lame
Reply Quote
Who cares really?

Oh sorry, Are we 14 years old bragging about how manly we are for liking PG-13 scary movies?
Reply Quote
"It's on the table." "We're discussing it." "We're thinking about it..."

You see where I'm going with this? All talk, no walk.
I am Sure the SC2 noob avatar guy who keeps trolling the forums knows much better about time management.
Reply Quote

-All lore should be voiced with deckard cains voice

Completely agree on this.
Where is everyone else.
Why dont we just have a deckard cain alive on town with all those story opened when you reach them.
And for the tomes scattered, Why not make the tomes to be stories from the past, written by horadrim. or traveler on there, or even ancient history..

And the most horrible thing is the event on captain that fighting demons on the bridge,
well, Since when humans from Diablo lore didnt felt the fear from demons...
The feeling is just lost from the whole series.
The feeling that human world is on a brink, and every one is falling appart.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]