Diablo® III

Do you wish D3 was more 'evil'?

For demons particularly the Lords of Hell, the less they speak, the less human they feel. Demons are inhuman and otherworldly creatures of pure evil, a person can't reasonably expect to understand that and retain their sanity. In fact, according to Diablo lore, the D2 heroes went mad from their experiences, yet we really don't get that vibe much in D3. Historically Diablo has had very little to say until D3, the only one I can think of is his one liner from the battle with him in D2, I don't think he said anything in Diablo. Moreover, the atmosphere and his actions alone tell the story without him having to utter a word.
Same thing applies to D3, if they simply cut off all but a few words for the Diamond Gates cinematic and when you reach him at the Crystal Arch, the visuals alone give you a good enough sense of what is happening. Alongside the imagery in the cinematic and what the Angiris Council has to say along the way, that is sufficient, his talking just kind of kills the inhuman aspect. The dialogue during the phases of the battle are also lackluster and are better off not being said especially given this running joke: "TERROAR!"

I laught every time i hear Diablo scream "TerroaRRRR"
Yeah great TERROR for Diablo fighting a full equipped Monk.
Reply Quote
agreed, please revise the whole art direction.
Reply Quote
The major factor here is the music.

Matt Uelmen's score is what gave Diablo 1 it's dread-inducing atmosphere. Obviously the brighter colors and exaggerated proportions are major factors though.

Do yourself a favour and play Diablo 1 music in the background while you play Diablo 3 with the native music off, it feels amazing. Especially Act 1 and 3.
Reply Quote
I agree, the music is key. Nothing beats D1 music for generating the atmosphere of dread and impending doom.
Reply Quote
Yep the gothic gloomy feel with the awesome music is gone. My first day after playing d3 I turned the music off very sad.
Reply Quote
07/21/2013 06:30 PMPosted by Fingerling
Yep the gothic gloomy feel with the awesome music is gone. My first day after playing d3 I turned the music off very sad.

I'm surprised it took you that long. I had Spotify back on before I was even half way through Act I.
Reply Quote
It doesn't need to be more "evil" the boss and demon/ monster ideas are great. The graphics need to be much darker and gothic, not so cartoony.

Edit: Except Mahgda,she needs to be reskinned
Edited by Slayer#1354 on 7/21/2013 6:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
http://imgur.com/ePevA9T

I thought off adding the interactive environment in which one could lit the torch by click on those unlit.
Or maybe "spell casted" on it. For thrill and diablo feel.

07/21/2013 06:35 PMPosted by Ailurion

I'm surprised it took you that long. I had Spotify back on before I was even half way through Act I.

We have difference reasons for turning off the music.
In the previous diablo, it's too creepy, now in d3, its too annoying.
Edited by HachiKumo#6695 on 7/21/2013 11:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
perfectly said. I play d1 and d2 soundtrack playlists while I played. but I just quit tonight. cant do it anymore
Reply Quote
07/21/2013 11:58 PMPosted by Durabolin
perfectly said. I play d1 and d2 soundtrack playlists while I played. but I just quit tonight. cant do it anymore

I do that as well. It's always amazing for a few songs, but after a while you remember you heard it the fifty last times you played D3 as well, so it gets a bit old. I wish they had the old soundtrack remastered and added to the game.
Reply Quote
Any Blizzard dev knowledgeable about the future of Diablo 3's art direction and music?

We mean no offence, we just want an evil game.
Reply Quote
You know what I miss from the old Diablo games? Two monsters, one from Diablo 1 and one from Diablo 2. The Hidden in Diablo 1 was one of the coolest monsters in the game because it was literally invisible until it attacked you. There could be a whole horde of them in a room and you wouldn't be able to tell until one of them attacked you. The Oblivion Knight in Diablo 2 was probably the coolest monster in the game because when there were a lot of them, they actually threatened you, and their curses could kill you if you weren't careful (iron maiden in particular before it was removed). But it wasn't just the curses. Their elemental damage attacks were fairly formidable, and bone spirit was hard to avoid. It was a combination of things that made the Oblivion Knight a cool monster. Let's just say it was sophisticated. Some reincarnation of the Hidden would be great, and I wouldn't mind seeing more sophisticated monsters. In response to the OP, I do think creepier music would help the style of the game, although it isn't particularly high on my laundry list of things to improve the feel of the game.
Reply Quote
View profile
I still remember encountering the butcher for the first time in D1, seeing those dead bodies on the wall and spikes...pure evil.
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 02:48 PMPosted by Cerealkiller
I still remember encountering the butcher for the first time in D1, seeing those dead bodies on the wall and spikes...pure evil.

The Butcher in D1 was an amazing encounter. Simple, mechanic-wise, compared to now. But terrifying. The Butcher in D3 feels like a cheap rehash imo.
Reply Quote
Of course more evil!!

Can never have enough too much evil right???
Reply Quote
View profile
Actually I would like to keep the gloom and doom of the NPC's. Because in the first two games the NPC's seemed apathetic to the point of making me feel like they were handing me the kill 10 wolves quest from WoW. Also I do not think that Diablo has to keep it's gothic look in order to be scary. There have been many scary movies that did not have a gothic look. I also do think that you can get a dark atmosphere without reintroducing light radius.

To be honest neither the first or second Diablo scared me. There was nothing there that scared me at all. The only thing that was there was just a bit of gloom. The only thing that was dark was the choice of colors.
Reply Quote
Actually I would like to keep the gloom and doom of the NPC's. Because in the first two games the NPC's seemed apathetic to the point of making me feel like they were handing me the kill 10 wolves quest from WoW. Also I do not think that Diablo has to keep it's gothic look in order to be scary. There have been many scary movies that did not have a gothic look. I also do think that you can get a dark atmosphere without reintroducing light radius.

To be honest neither the first or second Diablo scared me. There was nothing there that scared me at all. The only thing that was there was just a bit of gloom. The only thing that was dark was the choice of colors.

I'm not really after scares, though. The fact that I was sometimes scared while playing Diablo 1 was just a fortunate side-effect. I'm after the melancholy, the tragedy, and the *drum roll* evil.

Any cheap horror flick / game can give you frights, using the typical techniques. But what Diablo 1 and 2 achieved went way beyond that.
Reply Quote
hopefully blizz employees who scan these general forums see this repeating thread about how the game isn't dark/evil enough. I see 5 new ones every day.

+1

do yourself a favor and play a diablo 1 or 2 soundtrack playlist on youtube while your playing, and turn the gamma all the way down. makes it just a bit more better.
Edited by Durabolin#1796 on 7/22/2013 5:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hell is not scary in this game. It's not even intimidating. I thought there would be more infighting between the demons themselves. Or at least more to the denizens of hell than like 4 bosses that like to monologue throughout the whole game.
Reply Quote
This game hasn't got to the point that make players so sick that they never want to stop playing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]