Diablo® III

Do you wish D3 was more 'evil'?

or maybe I am wrong
Reply Quote
hopefully blizz employees who scan these general forums see this repeating thread about how the game isn't dark/evil enough.
It's not like they don't know. People have been complaining about this since D3 was first revealed, and they did nothing other than create Whimsyshire to mock the idea that the game wasn't dark enough.
Reply Quote
catacombs, caves, and crypts theme soundtrack in d1, and so many soundtracks in d2 that literally give me goosebumps ... nothing has come close to these in d3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0cgV04F5hc
durance of hate theme. that drop at 1:30 is just amazing
Edited by Durabolin#1796 on 7/22/2013 6:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Character overexposure has been entirely detrimental to the essence of the game. I mean, in many other games, the main bosses are usually insinuated, but not directly shown till an actual battle, and this contributes to build tension and make them more intimidating. There's nothing evil about Azmodan FM radio, Diablo Hits or Belial 99.7, specially when their respective psyches appear to have been extracted from Disney family films.

To be very honest, the only character i found truly interesting in the whole game was Covetous Shen, precisely because of how complex his psyche is, and how enigmatic and creepy the guy is. I really hope they develop this particular character a lot more in the expansion. Heck, even though he has a substantial amount of dialogue, you still wonder a lot of things about him, and that's a good thing.

I think trying to structure Diablo around this cheesy storyline was a big mistake. I mean, this game never had story as it's main focus, and tbh, neither D1 nor D2 had amazing storylines. Following an evil demon to the depths of hell isn't the most elaborate plot in the world. Following the same guy around the world going always to the east (OoOOoOOOOo!!!11!!) isn't either, but at least D1 and D2 didn't have intrusive storytelling like D3 does. Those malware-like popups, and the annoying cutscenes are something we should have the option to disable completely, not to mention this gimmicky quest system is some of the worst stuff I've ever seen in an ARPG. They may have put a lot of effort in their story, but in the end, it's a trashy story. Even if it was a good one, we don't need to see it 390248752093875298037523 times after the first couple of playthroughs.

The art diraction isn't really bad, imho. Sure, the colors could have been a bit darker, but overall the graphics are beautifully conceived. The real offender is the story itself, and it's overdone intrusiveness. It would have been a lot better to have limited character interaction with the main bosses to random letters and lorebooks, instead of having them on a freaking radio station 24/7 telling you every single step of their ridiculously predictable plans.

And yeah... Maghda can die in a fire. What an awful character. The fact she kills Cain with a stupid butterfly attack makes her even more unbearable. Seriously, who the heck is in charge of character development over there? Because you better get rid of that idiot asap.
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 07:36 PMPosted by Blashyrkh
And yeah... Maghda can die in a fire. What an awful character. The fact she kills Cain with a stupid butterfly attack makes her even more unbearable. Seriously, who the heck is in charge of character development over there? Because you better get rid of that idiot asap.

LOL so true. Cain dying by a butterfly attack.......... sums this game up and the audience it's meant for
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 07:45 PMPosted by Durabolin

LOL so true. Cain dying by a butterfly attack.......... sums this game up and the audience it's meant for

This is where it all started going downhill. Maghda is the worst thing to ever happen to this franchise. A butterfly...demon? wtf?!
Reply Quote
/signed

Funny, I'm actually listening to the Diablo/Diablo II soundtracks right now and it's insane how different, moody and atmospheric, the previous soundtracks were. The Diablo 3 soundtrack is honestly terrible.

Also agreed about the dialogue/darkness of the game itself.
Edited by Dunkelheit#1501 on 7/22/2013 9:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Character overexposure has been entirely detrimental to the essence of the game. I mean, in many other games, the main bosses are usually insinuated, but not directly shown till an actual battle, and this contributes to build tension and make them more intimidating. There's nothing evil about Azmodan FM radio, Diablo Hits or Belial 99.7, specially when their respective psyches appear to have been extracted from Disney family films.

To be very honest, the only character i found truly interesting in the whole game was Covetous Shen, precisely because of how complex his psyche is, and how enigmatic and creepy the guy is. I really hope they develop this particular character a lot more in the expansion. Heck, even though he has a substantial amount of dialogue, you still wonder a lot of things about him, and that's a good thing.

I think trying to structure Diablo around this cheesy storyline was a big mistake. I mean, this game never had story as it's main focus, and tbh, neither D1 nor D2 had amazing storylines. Following an evil demon to the depths of hell isn't the most elaborate plot in the world. Following the same guy around the world going always to the east (OoOOoOOOOo!!!11!!) isn't either, but at least D1 and D2 didn't have intrusive storytelling like D3 does. Those malware-like popups, and the annoying cutscenes are something we should have the option to disable completely, not to mention this gimmicky quest system is some of the worst stuff I've ever seen in an ARPG. They may have put a lot of effort in their story, but in the end, it's a trashy story. Even if it was a good one, we don't need to see it 390248752093875298037523 times after the first couple of playthroughs.

The art diraction isn't really bad, imho. Sure, the colors could have been a bit darker, but overall the graphics are beautifully conceived. The real offender is the story itself, and it's overdone intrusiveness. It would have been a lot better to have limited character interaction with the main bosses to random letters and lorebooks, instead of having them on a freaking radio station 24/7 telling you every single step of their ridiculously predictable plans.

Bah, you beat me to it. Shen was the high point of this game's story. Funny dialogue when you first meet him and the only NPC I kept going back to to get lore updates from.
Reply Quote

You make a few great points. Also, Cain's death is probably the most annoying one in gaming history. Add to that that he's in the midst of the 'good' stronghold of the world.
Reply Quote
Removing 99% of dialogues of The Great Evils will make the game 10 times more evil. (how ironic)
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
07/21/2013 11:27 AMPosted by papadanko
Also the annoying dichotomy of her being repetitive and childish yet occasionally having a grown woman's insight.

She's a student of Deckard Cain; what do you expect? She's young, but she has always been educated to a point. I think the balance is fair enough, since most of the time her insight is based on things that Cain told her.
Reply Quote
07/23/2013 02:31 AMPosted by Malabali
Removing 99% of dialogues of The Great Evils will make the game 10 times more evil. (how ironic)

Perhaps an option to simple turn dialogue that isn't crucial off would be a good thing?
Reply Quote
Yes I agree.. darker, more evil would be better. Also the D1 & D2 music blows D3's away.
Reply Quote
View profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrK90XJfqRs#t=3m00s

@4 minutes crying babies

why isnt any of this in d3 :(
Edited by plouyd#1632 on 7/24/2013 3:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
We don't need more evil in the game, we have enough here in the forums! Sorry couldn't resist.

Some very good ideas Cyberbard that should be taken seriously for future patches or expansions.
Reply Quote
This is where it all started going downhill. Maghda is the worst thing to ever happen to this franchise. A butterfly...demon? wtf?!

someone said in the sticky asking "what diablo monster would you like as a pet" that they would like a mini maghda, "it would be so cute."

wow, since when are demons in diablo cute? We have some serious problems here
Reply Quote

I think it'd be better if it had:

- Light Radius
- A more noticeable and sinister soundtrack
- A slightly altered colour palette
- More 'Gothic' architecture in the expansions
- Solo content, like an endless dungeon (perhaps HC only?)
- Less dialogue and cliché
- Fewer followers and NPCs bugging you

I think those are things they should REALLY look in to and work on. Particularly the colour palete in combination with the items. The game is way to bright, and I dont mean that with the setting. I mean the dungeons by them self. That they removed the light radius hurted the atmosphere of the game A LOT in my opinion.

The devs probably reason like you, which is why D3 isn't gloomy at all. Just throwing some sinister elements in there won't create gloom (& doom). It's like making a horror film and using too much shock value and easy scares. That doesn't create a masterpiece.

D1 and 2 had stories, environment design, art, and music that literally made you feel alone and desperate. D3 makes you feel like you are playing a game of eSports, that happens to have lots of blood and gore in it.

D1's entire story consisted of "Here's some random village you showed up in. Oh, look! A dungeon! Hey, maybe you should keep going down further into it...Oh, look! Diablo! Kill him! Okay, you're done now..."

D2 I didn't play as much as D1, but from what I did play, I can say that the story was just as formulaic. The only difference being that they made the game much larger than D1.
[/quote]
Just because a story is simple, doesnt mean its bad. What it has to be is to fit the game. Its merely a vehicle. People which say Diablo 1 and 2s story is "bad" because it was "simple", probably didnt understood what it actually did for the game. Becaues of that simplicity the story was not how to say it, getting in your way. Of course killing Diablo was the main target and all you did was doing that. But thats actually what I expect from such a game. If I would want something with more Debth I would eventually go to LA nore or Max Payne. That however doesnt mean Diablo 1 or 2 didnt contained a story. Even if it was very little with the narating and there was no true Dialogues, a lot of the game was coming from the overall atmosphere. Quality instead of Quantity how they say, its not so much about how much the people of Tristram tell you, but what and how they tell you (if we ignore for a moment that D1 and D2 didnt had the best voice acting, but for their time it was alright).

Diablo 3s story is simply way to often in the way of the core gameplay. Making it or at least "trying" to make it this huge epic experience that is focused on the adventure of the Player saving manking and centered around the relations he has with character slike Tyrael Leha and Adria. You know why I liked Shen and the Smith? Because they have been OPTIONAL dialogues! You could go to them when ever YOU wanted to explore their background story. Same with the followers. They didnt really had more debth then eithe Tyrael or Leah, but they have not been always thrown in your face. Seriously ... who doesnt get sick of hammerin the space bar after he played act 3 for the 1000th time? This is something that makes the already cliche like story even more of a dull experience.

Blizzard sadly either didnt cared enough about it, or they lack the expertise as far as the narating goes to deliver a deep character driven game, like lets say Planescape Torment or the Witcher. But those are not "farming" games or action RPGs with the same target like Diablo 1 and 2. Even a game like Diablo needs a good and interesting story. But it has yet to be so simple that you can get emidiately into it. That doesnt mean the game cant contain sometimes twists or the typical drama. But at the end what you do is to rescue the damsel in distress. Thats also what you usually do in deep games with great characters. its simply compelling. And it works, if done well.
Edited by CrniVuk#2227 on 8/12/2013 4:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/21/2013 04:44 PMPosted by Pain
To be honest, I don't know why anyone clumps D2 into Diablo's territory. D2 was significantly less gloomy and dark than its predecessor.

In Act 1, seeing the rogues killed at the dinner table, and then a little ways a way, you see a rogue chained to the floor and disemboweled, looking in the direction of her friends who were fortunate to die so soon, and so quickly / painlessly. Then you find the racks, where you see the racks where you see the limbs pulled from their sockets in a bloody mess. The dead have faces. They have a personality. They have a story, a reason for being there, and presence that makes you sick to your stomach. Nothing else in D2 gave even close to that feeling except MAYBE the Durance of Hate, but by then I was to incredulous about how all the bodies got there. I don't think there was enough backstory about how Zakaruum went all Bioshock, and then some. If there was, it would have been more chilling.

07/21/2013 05:09 PMPosted by Spawn16
-All lore should be voiced with deckard cains voice

Nah, whoever did the voices for the books you read in D1 / D2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Eiding

Really awesome voice work that was. And he also did the voice work for Mephisto, which was also well done.

07/22/2013 02:39 PMPosted by icemanfan
The Hidden in Diablo 1 was one of the coolest monsters in the game because it was literally invisible until it attacked you.

Yes. And those damn spitter things. It was terrifying to walk around a corner and hear like 5 of those things spit at you, because if all those connected, you'd be SOL.

07/22/2013 06:01 PMPosted by Nishi
It's not like they don't know. People have been complaining about this since D3 was first revealed, and they did nothing other than create Whimsyshire to mock the idea that the game wasn't dark enough.

And then they cancelled Blizzcon the year D3 was released IIRC due to the extreme backlash. I mean, take that "Red shirt guy" meme, and multiply that by 100. That's what the lore Q and A would have looked like.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]