Diablo® III

Where did 7yrs go?

this is not the d3 they have been working on since day 1.

original game was dropped

they started making what we have now

decided it was not blizzard quality a year or so before release and started over then released it early.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592242994

Look at the title of that thread. "Seven Years in Sanctuary"... 7 years for the current iteration of the game. They released a demo video in 2008 which gave them 3 years to develop the game into a demo-able state (plenty of time), so the math adds up.
Edited by Krine#1782 on 7/22/2013 10:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote

decided it was not blizzard quality a year or so before release and started over then released it early.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592242994

Look at the title of that thread. "Seven Years in Sanctuary"... 7 years for the current iteration of the game. They released a demo video in 2008 which gave them 3 years to develop the game into a demo-able state (plenty of time), so the math adds up.

they radically changed a lot of things the last couple months of beta too.
Reply Quote
Well, I guess it takes a while to figure out the legality of allowing people to sell worthless digital items for US$250.00 while taking a cut. Because there's no way in hell they spent seven years on this turd. I've seen better texture and model work in admission reels for college courses.
Reply Quote
View profile
07/22/2013 05:35 PMPosted by babinro

Huh?

Yes, it is.

It's an arpg...completely different genre.

It would be misleading to claim Diablo as a franchise to be the same as Final Fantasy franchise. No one looks at those game types and thinks they both are RPG's.

It's only an RPG in the vaguest sense of the word in that you play a role and there are stats on your character. By that vague definition you could argue that Madden games are clearly RPG's as well though since there are 'Be a Player' modes where you build upon character stats and play that roll in the story.

that's like saying final fantasy isn't an RPG, its a turn based RPG. ARPG just describes the fighting style. "Action Role Playing Game" described a Role Playing Game that is not held up with dice rolls and turns, it all happens in real time.

You are playing dungeons and dragons, very quickly.
Reply Quote

uh no, diablo 3(THIS VERSION) has been in development for 5-7 years. so OP is quite correct about the 7 years where did it go.
After D2:LoD, D3 was already being concepted and being made, then scrapped for the 3 years and then the next 7 you get this.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 7/22/2013 11:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote

uh no, diablo 3(THIS VERSION) has been in development for 5-7 years. so OP is quite correct.

The version I saw few years ago was just like D2 . Then something happen and we got the version we have now.
I also think they never worked on items until now .

the version you saw a few years ago that was just lik d2 was also an MMO-like Diablo 3 alpha which was scrapped, and with a previous team that all split and went different ways out of Blizzard, prior to Torchlight 1 being released. That's how long ago it was.
Reply Quote
I classified Diablo series as action hack & slash. With a pinch of role playing elements.

They came up with a name ARPG.

Skyrim is probably under action adventure.
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 11:29 PMPosted by DragonLight
I also think they never worked on items until now .

LOL, i skipped this and just re-read your post, I don't think they have any idea how to make good items.

The first on launch was flabbergast bad, and like whoever put the thought in clearly didn't think of game design at all. Why would a Barbarian-only belt ever roll like 200+ int and 0 str. or like a wizard-only source rolling 150dex and 0 int and like 50 str. By default any person who can read what the stats do will know automatically that even a 30 str barb belt would greatly exceed the beneficial effects of a 200 int on a barbarian class.

It's brainless.

It's stupid stuff lik that that is astonishing coming from Blizzard's reputable quality. That to me, signifies blizzard has hit the dumps.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 7/22/2013 11:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Most of the time was spent scrapping ideas and making new ones that turned out to be worse most of the time.
Reply Quote
View profile
With 7 years in development, how is this all the content the game has?

It just seems strange that with most of the RPGs released in the last couple years, you can play them for over a hundred hours and see only probably 20% of all the game has to offer; And then look at Diablo 3 and it is just so f______ abysmal on content/exploration/side quests.

So where did the 7years go exactly? It can't be the items, that whole system is bland boring uninspired garbage. There are no skill trees or synergizing abilities like D2 had to balance, every ability just stands on its own. It obviously wasn't the story and lore. Anyone???

I do not think that the synergy of the skill trees of D2 was that complex as you are making it out to be. Also there is synergy that you did not consider. The buy one skill get a synergy for another is not the only synergy in the world.

I know just like Blizz does this game needs more content. But there is only so much you can do with a game. Also they spent more time on their skill/rune system which is the reason why their loot sucks.
Reply Quote
It seems like the last seven years went into the physics, action and AH and everything else was an afterthought. The end-game, crafting, legendaries--staples of any ARPG--all horrendous at launch.
Reply Quote
View profile
LOL this game has far more then 100 hours in it.

The most hardcore D3 haters have hundreds of hours. Including the guys that quit forever ago.

The flaws only expose themselves after about 400 hours IMO. Until that point it's a great game.

400 hours is still more then any game I ever played except D2 I bet. Or maybe Street Fighter 2.
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 09:33 PMPosted by familia
Please list 10 viable builds for just one class. I'd actually like to see you try. Or is shuffling the same 5 skills around considered a different build?

According to our friendly, neighborhood Blue there are over 3 trillion builds possible!! LOL.

As a side note: according to another set of player calculations, did you know that there are over 3.4 trillion possible builds with Elective mode enabled in Diablo III? See for yourself.
Edited by Bukizzle#1560 on 7/24/2013 1:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Since Torchlight was brought up it stands to point out those that feel it is more what Diablo 3 should be like hopefully know it is because the co-founders of Blizzard North (D1 & D2) are part of Runic Games. It is very likely where the first iteration of Diablo 3 went, after Blizzard North was gone and they weren't allowed to make a "Diablo" game.
Reply Quote
07/24/2013 01:16 PMPosted by Bukizzle
According to our friendly, neighborhood Blue there are over 3 trillion builds possible!!

That is an accurate statement. No where in that blue post did it once say viable or efficient. Just possible.
Reply Quote
There is nothing role playing about this game. You choose a character and pick your Call of Duty perks (skills) to play with. There is literally no consequences to any decisions because none are permanent.
Reply Quote
The flaws only expose themselves after about 400 hours IMO. Until that point it's a great game.

not really, if you didn't knwo the game didnt start until level 60 which on anyone's fisrt time through takes about 80 hours to get to where the GAME ACTUALLY STARTS then yeah no, playing through an 80hr tutorial doesn't really count. the flaws expose themselves shortly after normal.

not to mention the same campaign and dialogue 4x over, until you can recite it like the maniacal templar.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 7/24/2013 5:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]