Thomas Middleditch owes us a public apology.

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Highly Rated
Those cosplayers last night worked for a year on their costumes, flew from all over the world, and didn't even get their name announced by this jerk. He didn't take this gig seriously AT ALL. He clearly saw a quick paycheck and could give a flying ____ about anyone else. How would he feel if he was debuting on some TV show at the beginning of his career and some jackass couldn't be bothered to get his name right in the credits? Have some GD respect for the time and effort people put into the thing they love.
I highly doubt the blame for this lies solely on his shoulders. It seems like he was ill-prepared by the organizers, themselves.
Wow.....Maybe that is why they won't put the contests up to watch... I had to stop watching just after his butchering of jokes.I went to bed.. He couldn't even take heckles from the crowd..Whom he was insulting...
HEY Thomas! You are NOT ONE OF US!!
I agree , I remember at some point he was jokingly saying someone was yelling in his ear from his ear piece when he didn't know what to do next during the costume contest. Make me think blizzard too were about fed up with his unprofessionalism.

oh yeah, he called someone that dressed up as genji, Diablo lol. really?
I didn't watch it but the stories got me curious enough to look up his social media. His Instagram post makes a pretty compelling and thoughtful case.

To me, it sounds like the people that hired him didn't give him enough information or prep material.
shame on you Thomas Middleditch
now we know why they didn't want to upload the contest stream.
because of personified embarrassment
At least Jay Mohr did his preparation. I would guess this might be why Jay Mohr also had kind of a pissed twitter post saying people at Blizzcon were a bunch of bullies.
So based on the thread I welcome the downvotes, but I would like to know, why do you feel so entitled to a sympathetic host? The host represents an embodiment of the ideals of topic, not a consensus. This thread is already an accusation. I am not taking sides, I simply ask, why do you feel incised by this host? Please provide reference for your opinions, since as a host can only respond as directly as the content allows, a strong rebuttal can only be as strong as the failure of potential content delivery.
11/05/2016 01:02 PMPosted by Xirho
So based on the thread I welcome the downvotes, but I would like to know, why do you feel so entitled to a sympathetic host? The host represents an embodiment of the ideals of topic, not a consensus. This thread is already an accusation. I am not taking sides, I simply ask, why do you feel incised by this host? Please provide reference for your opinions, since as a host can only respond as directly as the content allows, a strong rebuttal can only be as strong as the failure of potential content delivery.

As an organized event meant to represent and honor the fandom of the Blizzard games, it makes a tremendous amount of sense to have a host with a working knowledge of the genre, and at least a basic understanding of the contests.

It would be one thing if this was ComicCon or DragonCon, and there were other venues and companies represented, and if the general public were not really fans of Blizzard properties. This is an event where folks paid a fair amount for the admission, along with the costs for travel/lodging, including in some cases from several far flung countries around the world.

Bottom line, this is a convention directly marketed at their fans. Having someone represent Blizzard as host who is both insulting and demeaning to that very community is simply bad business, doubly so after Mike Morhaime's own opening ceremony applauding people to be welcoming towards each other.

That's not entitlement, that's customer service.
I'm not even sure that him being insulting is the worst part. This guy KNEW KNOWING of Blizzard. He didn't prepare for this at all. If you take a job, you should prepare for the job. I'm not saying he should become a Blizzard expert, but at least attempt to get a basic knowledge of of the Blizzard products.

Why didn't we get Jay? What happened with that?
Does the host need to be a celebrity? Why not just have members of the community do the hosting?
11/05/2016 01:41 PMPosted by Beleroc
Does the host need to be a celebrity? Why not just have members of the community do the hosting?

The guy who was hosting the 25 Year Anniversary panel, Day9, would have been excellent, imo. There are several well known streamers who present Blizz stuff all the time; one of them would have been a better choice. I would have loved to see Metzen return, but understandable he wants the break.

Again, when it's an event specifically catered and designed towards Blizzard fans, they should want to put someone up there who represents their culture.
I thought he was a great fit, highly entertaining, lots of self deprecating humor, also he is an actual gamer and self described nerd. Not a cringe fest like Will Wheaton. Seems there's a lot of people around these forums with zero self-awareness.
Thank you for that response, I truly appreciate the exact and complete nature of your opinion. And that opens up an amazing potential for content. Let the customer vote on who should host. This would provide opportunity for fans to vote on who should provide them with the content they desire. Straw pols can occur on twitch within 60 seconds of posting, while I am not advocating for such a concise approach to blizzcon, the approach is possible when you have multiple months to prepare. I feel that there a better ways. But a poor host should not represent poor content, I feel that the fan base expecting more from a host is representative of a thirst for better content, and that is where I feel the attention of this thread should meander. Let the fans dictate what Blizzard is asking for, it should not be that this host was abysmal...it should be that this is what I loved about the contests, and this is why the host did not present the best version of the contests for me to consider re-buying for next year.
11/05/2016 01:31 PMPosted by Azire

Why didn't we get Jay? What happened with that?

https://mobile.twitter.com/jaymohr37/status/794721045622067200

I'm just gonna leave this here ...
Probably the worst host of BlizzCon contests ever.
11/05/2016 12:52 PMPosted by Hrethgir
At least Jay Mohr did his preparation. I would guess this might be why Jay Mohr also had kind of a pissed twitter post saying people at Blizzcon were a bunch of bullies.

This.

Why do you think Jay or Chris won't come back? They were both awesome, but so many Blizzard trolls just live to complain about everything and everyone.

Middleditch is hilarious and was an inspired choice being the star of HBO's Silicon Valley. My guess is, they asked T.J. Miller first, (the guy who plays Erlich), but he probably didn't want to get raked over the coals by the Blizz Trolls just for showing up, so they had to find someone who had never watched Blizzcon.