We owe Thomas Middleditch an Apology

General Discussion
After seeing a thread that called for him to apologise to us I thought this:
He owes US an apology? My dear friend WE owe HIM an apology. A big one at that. Yeah some of his jokes didn't hit the mark but he was overall very enjoyable. What's the deal with the whole "Oh he doesn't play Blizzard games boooh" So what? He plays different games. Is this kindergarten where everyone who doesn't like EXACTLY the same stuff is a stupid doodoohead? He mentioned that he played a ton of D&D (as did most of original Blizzard team btw) and now enjoys other games. Excuse me but screw anyone who says you shouldn't host because you don't have enough "Nerd-cred" Are we the 1% of Video Gaming? No riff-raff allowed in our exclusive club?. "Buh-butt he made fun of us!" Nah. He largely made fun of stereotyping he himself has encountered as he mentioned when he used to do LAN-parties. And if you are seriously super offended because someone did a "Nerds in the basement" joke, you might have some growing up to do. What ever happened to sticks and stones?

And as for the whole "He couldn't read the names correctly!" Yeah. that happened. Guess who also mispronounced a lot of names? The "voice of god" announcer. Do we fire him next? And from what I could gather he mentioned that his card was Hand-written.
Now imagine standing on stage, live with a couple of seconds to read names of fantasy-characters you have never heard before in someone else's handwriting. Pretty easy to imagine someone mistaking a handwritten "Chromie" for "Charlie" actually.
"He should have prepared!" By learning the proper name of every character in all Blizzard universes or what? It's kinda sad that these mistakes happened but they're FAR from a reason why he should apologise to us and even less of a reason to pile up on the guy and calling him a "terrible host". Plus as far as I could tell, the mispronounced cosplayer even tweeted him and apparently didn't mind at all.
And I'm not saying all he did was super great. Some of his jokes were kinda.. well bad, but that happens, A bad joke is not the end of the world and I actually enjoyed the intentionally bad "didn't make the cut" jokes.

But seeing all these "You're not one of us" posts and all this other vitrolic filth slung at his direction makes me sick to my stomach and I seriously think WE need to apologize as a community to HIM.

Looking at his twitter revealed how much growing up we really have to do as a community. Apparently we, the people who watched, were not only so horrible to Thomas that he never wants to go near Blizzcon again, It seems to be also the reason why we now need new hosts every time in general. Because Blizzard "Fans" are so toxic and terrible to them that they don't want to come back. Think about that. You didn't win. You didn't get rid of these people. These people don't want to be NEAR you guys any more. YOU the People who for ages have suffered under people who didn't respect you and your hobby have now become just the same bullies who swing at anyone trying to have some fun with you. Jay Mohr won't come back for pretty much exactly that reason.
Think on that. People don't want to host Blizzcon because of how hate filled and mean we are towards them.

Compare that to the DotA Internationals who in 2013 hired Kaci Aitchison as a backstage host for their Event. She didn't know ANYTHING about DotA and in fact, was pretty much not a gamer or "nerd" in general. But the DotA community welcomed her with open arms, eager to show off their hobby instead of calling for her to be thrown off for not being a "a real blizzard fan" In fact, This woman who had nothing to do with games, has become a fan favourite and been asked to backstage host each year since 2013 which she did.
In the meanwhile we're sitting here, throwing hate at our hosts for not delivering the perfect comedy central stand-up special or not having clocked at least 100Hours into each game. Shame.

He did not deserve what we did to him and I want to be the first to say:
Thomas Middleditch, I'm sorry how you have been treated, please rest assured that although some of us are very vocal, what you have seen is not how all of us feel about you. I'm not sure if this will ever get better but I'm sincerly sorry that you were the latest in a series of people who had to endure this. You didn't deserve to be judged so harshly by a community that frankly should know better.
He went out of his way to mention numerous times how hard they worked on their cosplay outfits and the crazy amount of time and dedication it takes. I don't understand why people think he didn't care.
Perhaps you have a point but from my view it was a very strange situation because I had no idea who they were or what their purpose was in the grand scheme of things. Everyone in the group that was watching was totally confused, befuddled and finally just muted them when they came on because they just couldn't figure out if they were really bad at what they were doing, or really good a mocking what they were doing or if it's like the joke where you don't get the punch line because you don't have the context.
I have since learned they are professionals. This is their job. They were NOT two people who randomly earned a prize at Blizzcon to do their thing. They were not Blizzard employees who had been "tagged" with doing what they did. So, I am fine with it now. But at the time, I didn't have a clue and since it was so distracting trying to figure it out, I just ignored it. Too bad, if I'd been given the right context and understanding, I may have found some pleasant moments in their "stick".

Tim
@Docmartoc I'm talking about Thomas Middleditch who hosted. He did some comedy and announced the winners of the various contests. Not the two comedians who bridged Weird Als costume changes that you are talking about.
It's not a matter of him being a non-Blizzard gamer.. that's fine.. my issue with him (and really, my entire family as we were all watching the contest stream together).. is he just wasn't funny. At all.. His anti-Trump tirade was inappropriate especially when it crossed out of "family friendly" into how big somethings look when held with small hands..

I don't owe him an apology.. I'm sure he's a nice guy.. he's just a horrible MC for Blizzcon competitions..
11/06/2016 04:07 PMPosted by Teranika
It's not a matter of him being a non-Blizzard gamer.. that's fine.. my issue with him (and really, my entire family as we were all watching the contest stream together).. is he just wasn't funny. At all.. His anti-Trump tirade was inappropriate especially when it crossed out of "family friendly" into how big somethings look when held with small hands..

I don't owe him an apology.. I'm sure he's a nice guy.. he's just a horrible MC for Blizzcon competitions..

Indeed, I agree whole heartedly! I love the guy in Silicon Valley just not here. He didnt fit. That aside politics should have never even been mentioned. I dont watch Gaming conventions to hear tidbits on Politics, just like we wouldnt go to a political Convention to hear about Video Games and E-Sports! They just done fit. Again love the guy in Silicon Valley, he just didnt work in this situation!
I found him to be a (rare) highlight of the whole VT. Sure some of his jokes missed their mark with the audience, but that's applicable to every comedian. Sucks people went so hard against him, as if anyone of them could do a comparable job. I actually take major issue with just about everything to do with the VT as opposed to him hosting the contest.

The really terrible thing about all this though is that not only does the (undue) bullying he has received from this burned him on ever returning to Blizzcon, but it likely has discouraged other past hosts, and given the way news travels, is doing a good job of discouraging other future potential hosts. The whole exclusionary attitude people have taken with this has really only hurt them (us). In the end he's still where he is, doing what he does, making what he earns.

Where as us? Well I guess we can sit here clutching our sacred Blizzard products and community in private, throwing every penny we have at them, in this case for a subpar experience (referring to the VT).
i enjoyed his performance, he even had dorky acting with those lame jokes ^^
Yeah politics mention aside, i thought he was a good MC. Some of his jokes fell flat but he rolled with the punches pretty well. I would love to have him back.
I don't think jokes and such mesh well with the contests. Light banter and I guess the occasional joke is fine, but I really dislike the way the contestants were treated.

If I put all that time and effort into a costume/production I'd like to have that portion at least be taken seriously.

Some errors are bound to happen and I can live with a few, but be reasonable Genji/Diablo was terrible. Have a separate host do that portion and leave the comedian to his jokes and entertainment .

I think it would have had a much better response if we could get someone who will take the actual contest serious that knows the characters etc. I personally feel upset for people who were so thrown off with some of those costume name mix ups.

I would be seriously upset as a parent for my kid to have practiced/trained for an event all year long and then a host not take his performance seriously, or a company put a host in the situation to be responsible for such things knowing they couldn't deliver in that aspect.

This may or may not be Tom's fault. I will express my dissatisfaction, but it also isn't fair to belittle or be mean to Tom. Hoping at some point Blizzard get the contest host issues resolved.
I don't own an apology to him, because I never offended or attacked the guy.
My problem with him wasnt because he wasnt funny. Hey every comic has a bad night, bad set, bad karma... whatever.

It was his insulting of everything nerd culture. Especially when he came out on twitter saying how much of a geek he is because he plays some flying sim game. I bet he nerds out SO much on that flying game. And that's great! He's a gamer. I dont doubt that he plays a flying game. And anyone who commits to a flying game with rudder controls is pretty serious about it. However, he did NOT prepare for Blizzcon.

His notecards had his jokes. That's a sign of a novice comic or a novice anyone who speaks publicly. He seemed like he was trying almost too hard when he was flip flopping between physical comedy and then to insult comedy, to political humor, to wang jokes. Really? political wang jokes. NOT appropriate in a family friendly environment like Blizzcon. Maybe very appropriate at the Laugh Factory or your local improv comedy place. I havent watched the rerun but I can almost expect toilet humor in that set due to the lowest common denominator comedy he displayed.

If you are going to emcee a contest at a large gaming convention dedicated to ONE company's games, know your audience, and know the content. Do a little homework on who Genji is and who Diablo is (there are gamers out there who dont know Diablo?) Even if you dont play Blizzard games, do your homework. Spend a day or two in the games, learn the characters. Learn the difference between a night elf and a tauren. Just BASICS. And on your notecards, instead of wang jokes have the contestant's names and the character they're portraying. Appreciate the artform that you're presenting. You dont need to be as stoic as a mortician, but show some respect to those who took months and sometimes years to construct their cosplays.
11/06/2016 07:28 PMPosted by Kaylialra
My problem with him wasnt because he wasnt funny. Hey every comic has a bad night, bad set, bad karma... whatever.

It was his insulting of everything nerd culture. Especially when he came out on twitter saying how much of a geek he is because he plays some flying sim game. I bet he nerds out SO much on that flying game. And that's great! He's a gamer. I dont doubt that he plays a flying game. And anyone who commits to a flying game with rudder controls is pretty serious about it. However, he did NOT prepare for Blizzcon.

His notecards had his jokes. That's a sign of a novice comic or a novice anyone who speaks publicly. He seemed like he was trying almost too hard when he was flip flopping between physical comedy and then to insult comedy, to political humor, to wang jokes. Really? political wang jokes. NOT appropriate in a family friendly environment like Blizzcon. Maybe very appropriate at the Laugh Factory or your local improv comedy place. I havent watched the rerun but I can almost expect toilet humor in that set due to the lowest common denominator comedy he displayed.

oh you poor little Snowflake...I feel for you I really do ! How about you toughen up and realise that this cancerous community has just made someone not feel welcome back at Blizzcon.

Is that the kind of victory you's want? insulting him because he made fun of nerds? We are easy to be made fun of, there are popular youtube video's (The Guild, Pure Pwnage etc) that make fun of gamers/nerds. This is nothing but SJW crap, you all get so offended by trivial things that in turn you have to be horrible people back and the thought of someone knowing they aren't welcome back makes you blow your loads.
I am nothing but against SJW culture, that is what I am trying to say they think they are doing society a favour. Instead they just be horrible and spiteful to the point where people just don't want to go near them anymore. Hence why we have alot of people (like me) who just find it pathetic that someone finds something so offensive that they have to be just as (if not more) offensive to make that person feel bad. This is exactly what happened, not SJW but just realistic.
Your calling anyone who disagrees with you an SJW is humorous at best. Yes I watch undoomed as well (have the tshirt and the patreon) and while cute that you dismiss an opinion by calling someone a snowflake you're adding nothing to the conversation. I dont like his humor. Not because he insults gamers by calling them nerds. I hardly am a special little snowflake thank you very much. I dont like ANY political humor (pro or anti certain candidate, I'm a lIbertarian so I joke at both candidates) and I dont like ill prepared comics.

But you're adorable. My feefees arent hurt because of him It takes a lot more than that to get #triggered due to some comic. I just dont think the guy was funny.

If you want to talk about good comics, lets talk about george carlin, richard pryor, dennis leary. Hardly SJW comics.

Or did I just trigger you by disagreeing?
It's ironic that people turned on him so harshly, when the community itself has always been divided with some of the worst stuff I've ever heard/read being said from one person to another just because they play opposing factions. Remember the guy from Cannibal Corpse trashing alliance players? Didn't see too many of the horde players denounce him for it. Point is, it's hard to buy people saying that he was being insulting to the community and claim offense when that same community lets other things go that should be just as bad.

And honestly, the real issue should be the VT and how it failed to deliver the quality one should expect given the claims made about what it would provide.
11/06/2016 08:52 PMPosted by Kaylialra

If you want to talk about good comics, lets talk about george carlin, richard pryor, dennis leary. Hardly SJW comics.

Or did I just trigger you by disagreeing?

If you trigger me then your doing well. If you add Jimmy Carr, Bill Burr and Joey Diaz to that comedian list then we are in agreement.
I think his performance is irrelevant in this situation. We should be working to include people in what we do, not push them away. Was he my favorite host? No he was not, but he came in, and he made the effort. Not only did he make the effort, you could tell he cared about doing a good job. That's a gesture that goes far for me. Whether he hosts again or not is also irrelevant, what burned me was how he said he wouldn't even come close to Blizzcon ever again. I've never been in person, but I've played blizzard games my entire life, and I've gotten every VT that has been offered. It would be a dream come true to be able to pool the money to fly and attend blizzcon in person. But it makes me think. I am not the best person at fitting into a situation. I am rarely included when it isn't mandatory to do so, and I've had to live with that. I don't want to be the type of person to do that to somebody else. So yes, we as a community in my opinion do owe him an apology. We had someone new to Blizzard show up who we could have welcomed. We could have had someone else experience blizzard for what we know blizzard for. Do you not remember your first time playing a blizzard game? We just ruined it for him. I swear the toxicity of the forums is astounding. Here and in the Warcraft forums. For a while. I hope you're all happy.