How can I disable the Battle.net App Chat?

Feedback Discussion
1 2 3 10 Next
I like the Battle.net App and I think it is great for launching Blizzard games. I have it set to launch when I boot my computer but if I am forced to be logged into chat when it launches there is no way I will use it anymore. Even if I can set it to say "Away" or "Busy" I will not use it.

How can I completely turn off the Battle.net App Chat?
Invisible mode should definitely be an option.

Even if I can set it to say "Away" or "Busy" I will not use it.

Side note, what does setting yourself to busy even do? Testing this with a friend, it still flashed the chat boxes for him every time I messaged him. .
04/03/2014 05:01 PMPosted by TheSkunk
Invisible mode should definitely be an option.

Even if I can set it to say "Away" or "Busy" I will not use it.

Side note, what does setting yourself to busy even do? Testing this with a friend, it still flashed the chat boxes for him every time I messaged him. .

So far it seems like it doesn't do anything beyond showing you're "busy" to others, it doesn't stop any messages from coming through.

I found that we can turn off the new message "flashing" alerts in the settings but that is about it.
Hello folks,

If you really don't want to be in Chat you can log in to the Desktop App in "Offline Mode". At the main login window the options button to the right of the displayed region (it will look like a gear) will have an option to Go Offline. This will put you in Offline Mode for the Desktop App. You will not be connected and won't be able to chat or see your online friends. You also will have to manually log in to each game client as you launch it, except Hearthstone which is not available in Offline Mode.

Not the most ideal but that will allow you to still use the App to patch and launch your games without being forced to use the social features.
04/03/2014 05:39 PMPosted by Exeliran
Hello folks,

If you really don't want to be in Chat you can log in to the Desktop App in "Offline Mode". At the main login window the options button to the right of the displayed region (it will look like a gear) will have an option to Go Offline. This will put you in Offline Mode for the Desktop App. You will not be connected and won't be able to chat or see your online friends. You also will have to manually log in to each game client as you launch it, except Hearthstone which is not available in Offline Mode.

Not the most ideal but that will allow you to still use the App to patch and launch your games without being forced to use the social features.

Thanks Exeliran for the suggestion but that defeats the purpose of using the desktop app. If that is the only option for now then I won't be using the desktop app until there are "invisible" or "appear offline" settings. It's a shame because I really liked the app up until the chat was implemented.

Edit: Is it possible to block the port the desktop chat is using but not block the authentication server?
Sometimes you really don't want to be available. It shouldn't feel like a burden to have people in your friends list, and an ability to go invisible in all games would be a big quality of life improvement.
I think it is time for "appear offline - invisible" option to be available. It was a few years ago, we were told that this was going to be implemented. After this recent change to Bnet App, It is extremely important that this should be implemented.
Just want to chime in and agree that the chat feature is intrusive and not what I signed up for. For me, grounds for uninstall. I'll give it one more patch.
Extremely disappointed that I cannot appear offline with this desktop app. However, I do like the new chat feature. But certainly won't be using this anymore until chat is completely optional.
04/03/2014 08:31 PMPosted by Stonkeep
It was a few years ago, we were told that this was going to be implemented. After this recent change to Bnet App, It is extremely important that this should be implemented.

Exactly, it was upcoming feature announcement in September 2012.....and.....we're still waiting.....

"Appear Offline Option Coming Soon to Battle.net

In the coming months, we're planning an update to Battle.net that will give you more control over your online presence when playing Blizzard games. Soon, World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, and Diablo III players will be able to select "Appear Offline" as one of their Battle.net social-status options (along with Available, Busy, and Away) for those times when they want to wander Azeroth by their lonesome, dominate the galaxy in radio silence, or slay demons in solitude. When you choose this option as your status, all of your Real ID friends, BattleTag friends, and character-level friends will see you as “Offline” in their friends list whenever you’re logged into a game.

The “Appear Offline” status option will be added to World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, and Diablo III separately in future updates for each game. For Diablo III, we expect to add the feature in a patch after 1.0.5. For World of Warcraft and StarCraft II, we expect to add the option sometime after the release of each game’s upcoming expansion.
"

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7315730/appear-offline-option-coming-soon-to-battlenet-9-20-2012
Let me first say I've really appreciated this desktop app so far. I think it's great! Great look and feel. The new chat functionality is really cool, too.

But you now must implement an "invisible" or "appear offline" mode. Even if it is only limited to the app itself and cannot be used in-game. Please consider this feature in the next patch.
04/03/2014 09:12 PMPosted by Bossblood
04/03/2014 08:31 PMPosted by Stonkeep
It was a few years ago, we were told that this was going to be implemented. After this recent change to Bnet App, It is extremely important that this should be implemented.

Exactly, it was upcoming feature announcement in September 2012.....and.....we're still waiting.....

"Appear Offline Option Coming Soon to Battle.net

In the coming months, we're planning an update to Battle.net that will give you more control over your online presence when playing Blizzard games. Soon, World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, and Diablo III players will be able to select "Appear Offline" as one of their Battle.net social-status options (along with Available, Busy, and Away) for those times when they want to wander Azeroth by their lonesome, dominate the galaxy in radio silence, or slay demons in solitude. When you choose this option as your status, all of your Real ID friends, BattleTag friends, and character-level friends will see you as “Offline” in their friends list whenever you’re logged into a game.

The “Appear Offline” status option will be added to World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, and Diablo III separately in future updates for each game. For Diablo III, we expect to add the feature in a patch after 1.0.5. For World of Warcraft and StarCraft II, we expect to add the option sometime after the release of each game’s upcoming expansion.
"

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7315730/appear-offline-option-coming-soon-to-battlenet-9-20-2012

Pretty pathetic imo. We need offline modes for the battlenet app and all games asap Blizzard, please.
Love the update with chat now in the app itself. One problem though, I cannot load battle.net and running all troubleshooting to reinstall etc keeps giving the same error about trying to patch battle.net and to close it.
Yikes, when somebody started talking to me on the app today, the first thing I went to look for was how to uninstall it! So much for the promised appear offline - now I can't hide even when I'm NOT on the game!
I quite agree with this thread. Since I became aware of the launcher I've had it set to open on startup and it just stays open in the background at all times for easy access to my Blizzard games. If I saw a friend online that I wanted to chat to I would log into a game and be open to all the Blizzard social features from there.

As soon as the chat function became live I turned off the "open on startup" setting and will only open the app when I intend to log in to a game. I would like an option to turn off the chat function in the app (in game should be left as it is) but would settle for an "appear offline" setting.
04/03/2014 04:26 PMPosted by Bossblood
I like the Battle.net App and I think it is great for launching Blizzard games. I have it set to launch when I boot my computer but if I am forced to be logged into chat when it launches there is no way I will use it anymore. Even if I can set it to say "Away" or "Busy" I will not use it.

How can I completely turn off the Battle.net App Chat?

New features are always welcome but not in this way I completely agree with op.
Oh you shy guys :3

THANKS FOR CHAT BLIZZARD!! :D
While I appreciate the availability of the chat feature, I absolutely don't appreciate that it is now mandatory to be "available" (or visible) on it to use your other products, such as Hearthstone and I'm sure Heroes of the Storm. Even Diablo 3 now pops up the Launcher when you go through its standalone executable.

Loved the convenience of the app until now. While I can see this furthers Blizzard's agenda to push it's own "gaming social network", I'm afraid that without a privacy or true offline mode (in which you can still play games you paid for but not be in the chat), promised way back in 2012, you will alienate part of your core customers/subscribers and undermine years of building up real-id/b.net id, if users are forced to filter or empty their lists to be able to work around this. (This being said, from D3 onward you cannot even add friends without real-id/b.net-id at all).

In-game? Sure, I've learned to live with that (despite still wanting the option of going undisturbed), but now you want to be on my desktop all the time and fielding chat windows from any game, while I'm not playing? I'm not so sure anymore.

Mind you, steam and origin both had no problems putting this in from the get go and these "networks" are also very successful, while still offering a wealth of content magnitudes larger without any issue.
I can only agree with most of the people hear. Please implement and invisible mode for both, ingame and out of game. Also i would love a statement why that hasnt happened already, since it was promised in 2012...
04/03/2014 05:39 PMPosted by Exeliran
Hello folks,

If i have to manually logon into each game in order to dont be bothered with the chat while not being online within a game, you might as well give me back the option to start games from my normal start menu bypassing the app completely.