Can't install to MicroSD card

Feedback Discussion
I have a Dell Venue Pro, which is an 8" Windows 8.1 tablet with a small 32 GB SSD (the third most popular tablet in America). My D drive on the tablet is a 64 GB Micro SD card which is actually faster than the C drive. I can't install BattleNet or Hearthstone on the D drive because Blizzard's software won't let me. This game is perfect for tablets - please let us install it on our MicroSD cards for those of us who have tiny C drives that are always full.
I am sorry, but depending on how they code it, this may not be possible at all. if it won't let you install it to the MicroSD drive than it probably means that hearthstone needs to use the registry. If that is the case than you are sadly out of luck. The last game from blizzard that didn't require use of registry files was Starcraft: Brood War(I used to play mine via flash drive at school).

If they have to use the registry than there is no way without you installing your OS onto the microSD. than MAYBE it will work.
This is a tablet though, so the MicroSD card is just the D drive as far as Windows is concerned. I can install any other program on it without issue.
04/20/2014 03:21 PMPosted by Bungle
This is a tablet though, so the MicroSD card is just the D drive as far as Windows is concerned. I can install any other program on it without issue.

I am guessing it's a windows tablet? If so than, yes they use a registry, which means that it MUST be installed on the same drive as your OS for it to find it.
You can use a symlink, the installer won't know it's installing stuff on removable media.
Hello Bungle,

We've actually discovered a bug recently that will prevent installation of the Desktop App to an SD card even if the card has a valid install path (such as you describe with yours being the D: drive). This works normally for Macs but seems to not work properly on PC. We're working on a getting a fix together for this issue that we will plan to put out with a future update.
Playing wow on a Dell Venue Pro 8 does work just fine... I purchased a sandisk 64gb class 10 sd card and copied the wow folder to it, next installed Battle.net launcher and --Tada! weeks of fun with the new WoD expansion. Now as of December 1st, it won't load. I tried going into the wow folder and running the wow executable, which used to work but now results in an error... or via the Battle.net launcher which keeps saying whoops, something went wrong.

I guess I will have to reinsert the SD card into my main CPU and run it from the SD card to let it update, then reinsert back into the tablet.

Worse case senario, either recopy the wow folder each time an update occurs, which will probably lead to a replacement sd card every 6 months, or screw it and get the Lenovo Y50 I've been eyeballin for months and be done with it.
Boogerjuice--did you ever get it working on your Dell Venue 8 Pro?

I just bought an Asus VivoTab Note 8, which has identical hardware, and the same 64GB SanDisk Class 10 SD card. I'm having the same problem with Battle.net giving me "Whoops! Looks like something broke. Give it another shot." [BLZBNTAGT00000BB8]

I got mine fixed by reformatting the SD card to NTFS.
Sheree - Thank you soooo much for this info!
After 1 week of searching for a solution for my little HP Stream 7, reinstalling all drivers, reinstalling the whole windows and now nearly giving up, i found the solution finally here. My SD-Card was exFat formatted. That was the failure. Now, after reformatting to NTFS, WoW is installing.

Thank you!!!!

Hardy from Germany
04/21/2014 11:19 AMPosted by Exeliran
Hello Bungle,

We've actually discovered a bug recently that will prevent installation of the Desktop App to an SD card even if the card has a valid install path (such as you describe with yours being the D: drive). This works normally for Macs but seems to not work properly on PC. We're working on a getting a fix together for this issue that we will plan to put out with a future update.

Why is Windows=PC? A Mac is a PC too.
because apple somehow transcends personal computing so that instead of using a computer, you're actually doing something hipster and stylish.

what a stupid question

/s

btw I'm getting the "whoopsie daisy error" as well running off of my exFAT formatted flash drive, going to try to reformat it as NTFS and try again because nothing else seems to work and we can't get an error message with more articulation than a 4 year old and a generic bs troubleshooting guide for it.