"Playing Now" Bug

Bug Report
This problem first occurred a few months ago.

It would occur every week or so after that.

In past weeks, this issue now occurs every single time I try to play Hearthstone. When I load battle.net, I see "Playing Now" as a greyed out button.

My own personal fix has been to navigate to my /Hearthstone install and delete the folder directly. Then, I restart battle.net and I get presented with the "Install" button. After the install finishes, I'm given a "Play" button. If I quit Hearthstone from this point on, I have to repeat this entire process.

I've gathered my Battle.net logs and will send them if it can help resolve this issue. It is infinitely reproducible on my machine; I literally have to reinstall the game every single time I want to play... kinda sucks bruh!
Hello kast,

Yes, if you have gathered Battle.net logs as described in this article, it would be very helpful if you send them to toolsupport@blizzard.com using this line for the subject: [kast] ["Playing Now" Bug] [16411181023]

This may not result in an immediate fix for your individual issue, but it will go directly towards getting this sort of issue fixed in general. That being said, if we can find anything in your logs that will help us to better troubleshoot your issue, we will do so.

I have two additional questions for you:
  • After you quit Hearthstone, is it still shown in the list of running processes in Task Manager? (To open Task Manager, press Ctrl+Alt+Del and click on the Task Manager entry.)
  • Is the Play button still grayed out if you reboot your PC after quitting Hearthstone?

Thanks!
Hello Harmonniek,

Thanks for the quick response - I've emailed my Battle.net logs to toolsupport@blizzard.com. I've attached logs from (1) yesterday while the problem was occurring, and also (2) from just a moment ago, after performing a reboot.

To answer your questions:
1) After quitting Hearthstone, it is not shown in the list of running processes. Nor is Agent. The only Blizzard related apps running are: Battle.net desktop app (32 bit) and Battle.net Update Agent (32 bit).

2) Rebooting my PC has given me back a clickable "Play" button. However, if the problem were to occur again, I think deleting/reinstalling ends up being more convenient than having to do a reboot (for myself). For others experiencing this problem, the reboot may be a better option.

Edit: Rebooting has fixed the problem so that it does not reoccur upon exiting Hearthstone. I still see a "Playing Now" button for about 5 seconds after quitting Hearthstone, but it does turn to "Play" again. Woohoo!

I'll post here if the problem happens again.

Thanks!
one possible way to fix this yourself is by uninstalling and completely deleting teh remaining files in the folder and in the documents.

Then reboot your PC/Laptop/Whatever you using, and install a new copy.

I had similar problems with all Blizzard games and battle.net app and simply deleted it all and reinstalled.

It seem that some old trash data is making the software play silly, but this also reduces security of battle.net app. I think Blizzard should take a better look at the leftover data after patching.
On a mac, you can have a terminal open and kill the process which is still running and preventing the button to display:

ps aux | grep Hearthstone | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}' | xargs -I '{}' kill -9 '{}'

Cheers
I am not a pc expert so I will have to stop using Battle Net altogether.

You would think Blizzard would see this as a problem.

They are going to lose custom as a result.