FAQ: Bnet App - Voice Chat Alpha

Beta Feedback
1 2 3 6 Next
v 1.5.0.6967 (Alpha)
This is a Work in Progress and will be updated as we get more information and practice with it. Please feel free to share any corrections or tips of your own you want added.

EDIT: Screenshots by MysticalOS posted on Wowhead for those who want to see the GUI. http://www.wowhead.com/news=251888/battle-net-alpha-introducing-blizzard-voice-chat

GENERAL

1. Q: Who is the Alpha open to right now?
A: The Alpha is invite only. At this time selected Friends and Family (F&F) and Community members are being invited.

2. Q: How do I know if I have access to the Voice Chat Alpha?
A: You will receive an email at the address associated with your bnet account notifying you about it. You can also try restarting your bnet app and if you are in, a pop up will give you the option to download the Alpha. If you don't get a pop up you can also check under Settings > In Development. If you have access the Install option will be there even if the pop up does not activate.

3. Q: Is there a key needed for the Alpha?
A: No. There are no keys. Access is automatically enabled on your account.

4. Q: Will I see access listed in Account Management under Summary?
A: No, unlike all the other Alphas/Betas it is NOT listed there.

5. Q: Will more people be invited in future waves?
A: Yes. Unless Blizzard states otherwise, assume they will follow a standard Alpha, Beta, Release method.

6. Q: What platforms is the Alpha available for?
A: It is available for PC and Mac although Mac still has some issues they are working on. Read the Alpha notes for details

7. Q: How do I install and configure the Voice Chat?
A: Restart the battle.net app. After a few seconds a pop up window will ask you if you want to install the Alpha. You can reverse that at any time by going to Settings > In Development. If for some reason you don't get the pop up, but did get in invite, or are trying to set it up on a second PC, use the "In Development" settings to access the Install option.

8. Q: How do I configure the Voice Chat?
A: Go to Settings > Voice Chat. HINT default is open mic so you may want to switch it to Push to Talk.

CHAT USE

9. Q: How do I use Voice Chat?
A: You can right click an individual then select voice chat to open a voice channel interface which has a text option on the left and voice chat list on the right. Then in the Voice Channel interface select the headphone icon at the top right to chat. When you activate voice chat your name appears over in the right column which is the list of active chat participants. You can also create a Channel by clicking the Friends list then the Create Channel button at the top. You can drag friends into it to chat as a group. No need to type out names.

Please note your channel and channel members are NOT saved when you exit like the persistent channels on Skype, Vent, or Mumble.

10. Q: Who can I voice chat with in this version?
A: You can only initiate voice chat with people on your battle.net application friends list who ALSO have the Voice Chat Alpha.

Note that Friend A who controls the channel can add both Friend B and Friend C to it even though B and C are not friends.

11a. Q: Does voice chat work in games yet?
A: It does not work within specific games via the game interface at this time. However, you can still talk to Bnet friends on your list while gaming via the Bnet app interface. Bnet voice chat channel text will not show up in game, unlike regular Bnet app text.

11b Q: So do they plan to integrate the new voice chat into games like WoW so we can use it to raid?
A: Mostly likely, but it will be done on a game by game basis as applicable.

12. Q: Can we report inappropriate language or abuse?
A: Yes. Right click report is now an option in the friends list. Options are Spam, Harassment, or Inappropriate Name. You can also Mute people individually in a Chat Channel by right clicking them.
This is absolutely amazing. Thank you SO MUCH MissCheetah! Stickied because duh. :)
My first sticky!!!! *does a celebratory dance and serves some green beverages*

More importantly, please let me know if I got anything incorrect or I need to add something.
I just wanted to add: When the invitations are being sent out, the popup should appear without a restart. We didn't trigger it on the first invite wave but it should be triggered automatically moving forward.

... at least, that is the hope! I'm mostly addressing the fact that a restart shouldn't be necessary to see that popup notification now :)
这真是太棒了
(希望有能认识中文的朋友帮忙翻译一下。非常感谢!)

Voice Chat.suggest
  首先请原谅我并不怎么会英语,但是当我听说了Voice Chat后,我迫不及待的来到us.battle.net给出我的建议,并希望Voice Chat做的更好。
  在NGA论坛很多人了解了Voice Chat。虽然我并没有使用过。(地址:http://bbs.ngacn.cc/read.php?tid=9110227&_ff=431
  在我们国内也有许多语音软件,方便网络上很多认识或者不认识的人进行多人在线语音交流。很多暴雪粉丝听到Voice Chat即将诞生,纷纷表示愿意抛弃那些语音软件,而使用Voice Chat,但有人提出了疑惑:
  战网的多人语音聊天,是否需要添加好友才能进行语音?
  如果是的,那么就像:
    1.wow中通过 综合聊天 组建的PVE,PVP团队,并不准备相互添加battle.ent好友,那么他们不就不能通过Voice Chat进行交流?
    2.Heroes of the Storm中,通过Hero League,Quick Match得到的队友,也将无法通过Voice Chat进行交流?
    3.Overwatch,与2情况一样。

我比较愚蠢,因此有一个愚蠢的方案:
    每个人创建的语音聊天频道都有固定的数字ID,并且根据创建人的想法,确定是否设置密码以及可以随时更改频道密码,并且创建人可以给予某些人权限(如:a.权限分为 创建人、管理、成员、路人;b.创建人、管理、会员进入这个频道不需要密码;c.创建人、管理可以给予/移除会员身份,将捣乱者移出聊天频道。)。
    该频道内部有一个收藏按钮,可以将频道放入好友列表的 语音频道 列表中方便玩家多次进出这个频道(并且:a.玩家可以给频道备注,方便区分不同的频道;b.可以手动取消不再去的聊天频道的收藏)。
    这样可以让更多的人不会因为这些缺陷而放弃使用Voice Chat。
    另外:创建人可以通过需求,更改频道模式:a,队长模式(创建人、管理可以说话);b.队员模式(创建人、管理、成员可以说话);c.自由模式(频道内所有人可以说话)

当然,通过数字ID让非战网好友的玩家进入频道,可能会有人用它进行不当的色情暴力行为,因为这难以被发现。不过战网是实名认证,对色情暴力事件自然要严厉惩罚。
  最后,我并没有使用过Voice Chat,也并不清楚Voice Chat正式发布后,它在各个地区的上的通讯信号情况是否良好。

china:Yicyc#5295
I've had numerous people ask me for invites to this. MVPS are just users who help on the forums. We do NOT have authority to send out beta invites. When blizzard has more information to share on more invites they will do so on here somewhere. Green text posters are here to help, but we cannot get you beta.
can also check under Settings > In Development

This worked for me - thanks so much!
For some reason, I didn't get the alpha client prompt on my primary desktop, but I did get it on my laptop. I installed there, but unfortunately I don't use that device for voice chat.

Is there any way to get the alpha client on my desktop, or is it limited to one install?

EDIT: I re-downloaded the battle.net client from the web site and re-installed it. Then, when I launched it, I got the alpha client prompt.
03/19/2016 06:06 PMPosted by Deathonabun
Is there any way to get the alpha client on my desktop, or is it limited to one install?

03/17/2016 04:10 PMPosted by MissCheetah
If for some reason you don't get the pop up, but did get in invite, or are trying to set it up on a second PC, use the "In Development" settings to access the Install option.
If for some reason you don't get the pop up, but did get in invite, or are trying to set it up on a second PC, use the "In Development" settings to access the Install option.

I don't have a problem with reading comprehension. The "In Development" option doesn't show up until after you receive the initial prompt.

For anyone else having this problem: If you've received the e-mail invite, but haven't gotten the prompt, then you may need to run the battle.net installer again. Uninstalling it first is not necessary.
so amazing.Can I add this Alpha,please~
I'd love to test this out!!
Is there an NDA?
03/23/2016 01:57 AMPosted by Vandoom
Is there an NDA?

Nope. There is nothing really secret about a voice chat client :)
Hello there,

We over at WoW Argent Dawn EU would like to know if this allows for a cross-faction RP channel to be created via just text.

Recently with patch 6.2.4 has removed the ability to create such channels now within WoW meaning we've lost a great way to create some cross faction RP. We tried to get answers to why this was being done and were left with an empty promise of "It's being forwarded". But nothing came of that.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/17610751003

As you can see, atleast 150 so people were a bit upset by this and 34 pages of no answers.

We want to know if this Voice Chat implimentation means conversations are being changed and upgraded in someway to help our experience.

Then the other thing we'd like to know is why we weren't informed this was the case and we only saw the voice chat thing as well, voice chat. It wasn't advertised or properly informed us that this was a change in the way conversations work on Bnet.

Communication has failed on this part we feel, and so we feel kind of undervalued as consumers due to us being Roleplayers.

It would be nice if you gave a few of us the ability to test this too. Giving a vast amount of feedback from Cross-faction Roleplayers to see how this will work for them. That is if it is the case of being text chat channels only too.

Thanks in advance,

Tyrenus.
03/24/2016 06:33 AMPosted by Tyrenus
We over at WoW Argent Dawn EU would like to know if this allows for a cross-faction RP channel to be created via just text.

No, it does not. Text typed in the Channel you create for voice chat will not show up in game.

11a. Q: Does voice chat work in games yet?
A: It does not work within specific games via the game interface at this time. However, you can still talk to Bnet friends on your list while gaming via the Bnet app interface. Bnet voice chat channel text will not show up in game, unlike regular Bnet app text.

Will that change in the future? Maybe. They are looking into integrating it into games as appropriate but there are no details about it yet. For now we are only testing the Launcher Voice chat.
This is Cool!