I want to show people on Steam that I am playing Overwatch

Feedback Discussion
It's advertising for Blizzard, will create interest and it will show my friends what I am doing.

At the moment Steam lights up briefly with a battlenet game, then goes back to status online and blue.

Why can't I have this simple thing? I don't necessarily want the overlay.

Is there any simple way around this?
Googled for a solution, ended up here. I would very much appreciate this, as OP said, it's free advertisement to your steam friends.
Agreed
You can do this by adding a non-Steam game to your game library and launching Overwatch through Steam.

Go to the top menu "Games" -> "Add a Non-Steam Game to my Library"

If Overwatch doesn't show in the list, browse to your installation folder and select Overwatch.exe. The new link should appear along with your other games. Launching games this way also enables the Steam overlay, which can be handy.
You didn't read OP's post. We can add it via non-steam game, but when you launch it, Steam lights up with the game, then immediately goes back to blue "online" status.

edit: I am here for the same problem as well
Once you add it as a Non-Steam game, right click-> properties-> change-> and point it at "Overwatch.exe" instead of "Overwatch Launcher.exe"
Changing the properties did not work for me when I tried it before I posted here, however, a friend has advised me to just keep retrying adding the game.

Delete the shortcut and add as normal again. With Battle.net closed start the game. Hopefully at some point you will have the game permanently show for you (a bit too permanently, it took 5 minutes to disappear after I had closed down Battle.net again).
I think battle.nets needs to hire some programmers! where can my brother send his resume. he took a class in php and is really good! bye friends ;-)
in your steam game list right click Overwatch. Select Properties, then change. Search for Overwatch.exe it will work.

When initially pointing the game to your steam list it will select Overwatch_Launcher.exe. Which is not the game.
Thats not working. The game opens but you will get a login screen where the login button is greyed out.
it worked for me. I can enter my login.
yea its working but i cant enter my login and password it the connect button is grey
They just wont let you add it on steam i tried too, give up it wont work till they decide they want it to.
Highly Rated
05/05/2016 02:43 PMPosted by Superbeef
I think battle.nets needs to hire some programmers! where can my brother send his resume. he took a class in php and is really good! bye friends ;-)

Oh god this made me cringe so hard.
06/26/2016 10:48 AMPosted by Motso
yea its working but i cant enter my login and password it the connect button is grey

In the username area enter your email.

But I'm having a slight issue, I have to login every time and my phone isn't in reach all the time.
06/30/2016 06:06 PMPosted by Alaanor
In the username area enter your email.

This! Combined with changing the path to the "Overwatch.exe" in the properties menu after right-clicking Overwatch it works.

Just type in your e-mail in the username gap. Then you can log-in.
Annoying to always have to log-in again but hey, you can show people on Steam you're playing and use the steam interface where you can chat.
There was a post on reddit on how to get it to work (posting below). This is the method I've been using to get it to work. I got it to work on WoW once by using the actual .exe, but now that isn't working. So it's something to do on Blizzard's end I'd suppose.

Do note though that in order for this method to work you have to have "Allow multiple instances of Battle.net" turned off. Otherwise it'll just keep opening up new Battle.net's and I haven't messed with it yet to see how to stop it.

Original post (Also shows how to work with other Blizzard games) - https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/3tfrv5/guide_how_to_use_steam_overlay_with_the_blizzard/

There's also an exe posted in the initial post if you want to do that option.

Original Reddit Post:
Step 1 - Create a text file and enter the following. Save this as "steamoverlay.vbs" in your Overwatch installation folder.

Launcher = "battlenet://Pro"
Client = "Overwatch.exe"

' if nothing was passed in, we are starting from scratch, so start the launcher
If WScript.Arguments.length = 0 Then
Home = WScript.ScriptFullName
Home = Left(Home, InStr(Home, WScript.ScriptName)-1)

'run the launcher
Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("Shell.Application")
objShell.ShellExecute Launcher, "", Home

' create the file that the elevated script will copy executables's path and commandline to
set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
set tempfolder = fso.GetSpecialFolder(2)
tempname = tempfolder & "\" & "steam.tmp"
set tempfile = fso.CreateTextFile(tempname)
tempfile.close()

'run this script but signal that it needs to elevate by giving it the tempfile name as an argument
Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
objShell.ShellExecute "cscript.exe", Chr(34) & WScript.ScriptFullName & Chr(34) & " " & tempname, "", "runas", 2

WScript.Echo "Waiting for other script to finish..."
' check every second if the temporary file has been updated with the commandline info
Do While True
'check the filesize of the tempfile
set tempfile = fso.GetFile(tempname)
If tempfile.Size > 0 Then Exit Do
WScript.Sleep 1000
Loop

ExecutablePath = Home
set tempfile = fso.OpenTextFile(tempname)
CommandLine = tempfile.ReadLine
tempfile.close()

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
objShell.ShellExecute Client, CommandLine, ExecutablePath

fso.DeleteFile tempname
WScript.Quit
Else
' we are elevated now
WScript.Echo "Waiting for launcher to start client..."

'Get Windows Manager object
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2")

' check every second for client that was launched by launcher
While True

'Get info on processes named Client
Set InstanceList = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name = '" & Client & "'")

for Each Instance in InstanceList
cmdline = Instance.CommandLine

'we found the client we care about
Instance.Terminate()

'remove the exe path and name from the cmdline
position = InStr(1, cmdline, """ ") + 1
cleanCmdLine = Right(cmdline, Len(cmdline) - position)

tempname = WScript.Arguments(0)
set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
set tempfile = fso.OpenTextFile(tempname, 2)
tempfile.WriteLine(cleanCmdLine)
tempfile.close()

WScript.Quit
Next

WScript.Sleep 1000
Wend
End If

Step 2 - Add Overwatch as a non-steam game, right click Overwatch in your steam library, and click properties.
Set Target field as the following, once again changing the path of steamoverlay.vbs to match your setup

"C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe" "F:\Games\Overwatch\steamoverlay.vbs"

*Note that F:\Games\Overwatch is where you have it intalled and will need to be changed based on where yours is installed*

Set Start In field to this:
"C:\Windows\System32\"

And there you have it. When you click play a couple of command prompts will appear briefly(Just ignore these) and Overwatch should launch. You will be logged in just as if you had clicked "Play" in the launcher and the steam overlay should be available in game.

Simpler way (but supposebly messier)
The simple and (IMO) ugly way of doing it (video )
Open Battle.net
Go To general settings
Set "When I launch a game" to "Exit Battle.net Completely"
Check "Show a brief countdown instead of closing immediately"
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and right click the Battle.net process, click "Open file Location"
Note down the location of this EXE file
Close Battle.net completely (Must not be running in the background)
Open steam and add Battle.net as a non-steam game
Right click the added game and click Properties
Change Target to the exe you found earlier then, after the quotes put a space and battlenet://Pro (example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle.net\Battle.net.7208\Battle.net.exe" battlenet://Pro)
Click Play and the launcher should open and automatically start the game with the overlay appearing on both the launcher and the game. The launcher will then close after a few seconds.
I fixed this in about 3 minutes, and works like a charm.

Hint: bnetlauncher.exe

Google is your friend.
07/03/2016 04:49 PMPosted by walalaladeng
I fixed this in about 3 minutes, and works like a charm.

Hint: bnetlauncher.exe

Google is your friend.

Yep you can change the path to Battle.net Launcher.exe or Battle.net.exe

That will do the same thing and allow you to use your one-button authenticator if you choose.