Warcraft 3 Cinematics

General Discussion
I just recently downloaded Warcraft 3 for Windows 10. The game itself runs fine, but whenever a cinematic is supposed to be played, it only shows a black screen though the audio still works. Any reasons on why this is happening and/or solutions?
same here
same thing happening here and I am running windows 7
same, how can i fix it?
Same here. Fresh install of W10 and clean driver install for my nvidia. I'd rather avoid 3rd party workarounds if I can help it.
It is definitely the on-line installers that are bad. If I install it from the downloads, the cinematics don't work. If I install from my original discs they work just fine. I am using Win10.
I am getting the same black screen with audio. I don't have the discs to install it.
I just installed a fresh copy of WC3 from the disc, and the cinematic/s worked.

As soon as it updated, they stopped working correctly (greyscale, pixelated etc).

I hope this fix comes soon, I wanna play but I enjoy the cinematic/s (they add to the game).
Having the same issue...any chance of a Blizzard response? Why do they even sell their classic games if they don't work properly?!?
You can register the blizzard.ax filter with these steps:
1) Start > Windows Systems > Command Prompt
Right-click on it and choose "Run as administrator"
1a) Win10 Alternative: Right click Start Button and choose Command Prompt(Admin)
2) Navigate to the folder that contains blizzard.ax with a command like this:
cd c:\path\to\warcraft\folder Default: c:\"Program Files x86"\"Warcraft III" (can use Tab to autofill partial names)
3) Register the filter with this command:
regsvr32 blizzard.ax
Burentsu posted a workaround that has helped a lot of people but we do not support it. This is a known issue that our Classic Battle.net team is looking to address in a future patch.
...This is a known issue that our Classic Battle.net team is looking to address in a future patch.

I am still experiencing this issue myself. @Zuvykree, have there been any updates on the patch?
Why do the cinematics play perfectly fine in VLC but are all gray-ish and blocky when playing them in game? Isn't there a way to link a media player to WC3 in order to fix these problems?
Afternoon!

Cinematics are wonky in the latest builds because of a missing codec. The issue is fixed internally and will be pushed out in a future patch.

Sorry for the missing awesome movies!
-Clásico
12/21/2016 02:19 PMPosted by Clásico
Afternoon!

Cinematics are wonky in the latest builds because of a missing codec. The issue is fixed internally and will be pushed out in a future patch.

-Clásico

Along with instances where the cinematics are just blank screens, are you also working on fixing instances where the cinematics are cloudy and washed out? They looked so much prettier in the Windows XP days.
12/21/2016 02:42 PMPosted by HyperTurtle
12/21/2016 02:19 PMPosted by Clásico
Afternoon!

-Clásico

Along with instances where the cinematics are just blank screens, are you also working on fixing instances where the cinematics are cloudy and washed out? They looked so much prettier in the Windows XP days.

Yes
Any ETA on when the patch gets released? I've been fiddling with it for hours and could only get the cinematics to work with correct colors in a small window, or stretched, but greyed out.
The said Q1 2017 in another post, so anything from today until april
Hi friends,

I fresh installed RoC and TFT for my gf yesterday (she is awesome). She tried the single player campaign first and had the black screen of doom for all cinematics. I had her log in to battle.net through the TFT interface and download all updates. This fixed her problem. All the cinematics worked fine after that. Windows 10 btw. Hope this helps someone.
1.28.5 Still green screen during cinematics. Please fix it.