Usage of the name "Overwatch"

API Discussion
Hello,

I am a student developer, I recently worked on a FREE Android Application named "Overwatch Clips". The application is merely a content aggregation tool, it bundles many popular Overwatch clips from gfycat into an easily accessible android application.

It was recently removed from the Play Store under their policy of "Impersonation" and I have been advised that it will stay removed until I receive permission from Blizzard to use the name "Overwatch". I do not use any of Blizzard's logo, the only thing that it uses is the name "Overwatch" in the title of the application. I have come across multiple applications on the playstore that uses the name with 100k+ downloads that have not been taken down but my application with merely 300 downloads have been removed. I've read Blizzard's legal guidelines regarding trademarks and I believe I follow every single guideline.

Does anyone know how I can get into contact with anyone that can help me out with this issue?

Thanks for all your help.
overwatch is a simple word of the english dictionary and your application is "Overwatch Clips" and not "Overwatch". You don't need permission from Blizzard.

Problem is, perhaps, your content who need a permission.
I suspect this is Google being proactive about protecting copyrights/trademarks. You might want to try adding a note to to your description saying that your application is not affiliated with Blizzard Entertainment. You may also want to add a copyright/trademark notice to the app & description:

Finally, you might want to change the name of the application so that it doesn't include "Overwatch" or other Blizzard trademarks. Hope that helps!

(^_^)
Curious, is Overwatch a Blizzard Trademark? Silly question I know but only asking due to CS:GO Overwatch ?
11/29/2016 03:22 AMPosted by Ben
Curious, is Overwatch a Blizzard Trademark?

Yes
Hello,

I have same problem.
I have create Athena: Compagnon Overwatch, my app is suspended by Google PlayStore.

I received this mail :
Hi Developers at Siso Team,

Thanks for submitting your app to Google Play.

I reviewed Athena: Compagnon Overwatch, com.sisoteam.athena, and had to reject it because of an unauthorized use of copyrighted content. If you submitted an update, the previous version of your app is still live on Google Play.

Here’s how you can submit your app for another review:

Remove any content owned by a third party from your app. For example, your app Store Listing contains: images from "Overwatch" in the Phone Screenshots, Hi-res Icon, Launcher Icon, Feature Graphic, and within the App Experience.
Read through the Unauthorized Use of Copyrighted Content article for more details and examples.
Make sure your app is compliant with the Impersonation and Intellectual Property policy and all other policies listed in the Developer Program Policies. Remember that additional enforcement could occur if there are further policy issues with your apps.
Sign in to your Developer Console and submit your app.
What if I have permission to use the content?

Contact our support team to provide a justification for its use. Justification may include providing proof that you are authorized to use the content in your app or some other legal justification.

Is it possible to obtain the document giving me permission?
Hello,

I recently also had a problem when deploying my app "Gadgetzan Updates" on both Google Play and Apple App store, however it was rejected from both app stores due to impersonation/copycats, as experienced above.

What you can do to get your apps on the app markets is to add a "for Overwatch" at the end. Both Apple and Google don't want to compromise intelectual property and heavily guard it, however a general exception has been made for apps that are "for [game]. See this imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/KYJpD

I ended up having to change my app's name to "New Cards for Gadgetzan" to avoid the warning and respect the trademark.
its so confusing that their policies say "no scraping, no using our name" but websites like masteroverwatch, who do both, thrive.
If blizzard would clearly define and enforce rules, or clearly define rules designed to encourage community growth, we would all be better off for it. Overwatch is such a damn good game - if only its owner's policies facilitated esports community growth like the game facilitates player growth - Overwatch would easily surpass LoL, Dota, CS:GO, COD, and the rest.