StarCraft: Brood War Remaster Rumors Recap

General Discussion
https://bnetdocs.org/news/123/starcraft-brood-war-remaster-rumors-recap
Well I think the biggest indication of such remasters happening was the description of their job appliance:

Make gameplay first again on modern operating systems.
Create conditions for experiences that look as good as they play. (that would be modern resolution support, one could argue)
Own implementation and curation of features new and old. (that one is pretty self explanatory. Changes would be made)
Combat hacking to improve multiplayer.
Diagnose and fix all the things: crashes, deadlocks, overflows, heap corruptions, etc. (fixing that kind of bug requires severe code refactoring)
11/10/2016 05:15 PMPosted by OShogun
(that would be modern resolution support, one could argue)

Or fixing the graphical bugs that occur on modern operating systems.

(that one is pretty self explanatory. Changes would be made)

Which could be put in a patch, no need for a remaster

(fixing that kind of bug requires severe code refactoring)

I'm not sure what kind of programming experience you have, but fixing those kinds of errors does not require "severe" code refactoring, and a code refactoring doesn't mean a remaster would be necessary to release. Nothing stops any and every change from going into a patch instead.
11/11/2016 10:24 AMPosted by xboi209
I'm not sure what kind of programming experience you have, but fixing those kinds of errors does not require "severe" code refactoring

Have you ever tried to find runtime errors in the middle of a messy huge system that hasn't been touched in years and the people who developed it probably don't even remember how it works anymore?

That's pretty much what I do for a living, and it takes months depending on the system. Even though Starcraft isn't exactly a huge system, it is made partially in C and partially in Assembly, and probably not that well documented. I'd say the refactoring to fix such issues would have to be pretty intense, not the kind of thing you see in your everyday patch.

Or fixing the graphical bugs that occur on modern operating systems.

That would not make the games "look as good as they play", because upscaling a 2D 640x480 game in a 4K monitor does not look good ~at all~ (at least not in the way that is done natively by video cards). Even if HD remaster did not happen, that could at least mean a decent upscaling algorithm (they exist but usually need to be implemented by software) is implemented in the game.
11/11/2016 11:01 AMPosted by OShogun
I'd say the refactoring to fix such issues would have to be pretty intense, not the kind of thing you see in your everyday patch.

Maintaining two codebases would be pretty intense too, it seems that Blizzard will still be supporting the old client even if a remaster is released, which is why they included their BlizzardError program with the 1.17.0 patch to help find and reproduce those runtime errors. Again, such refactoring has no reason to require a remaster instead of a patch. Look to WC3 for example, the 1.27a patch was compiled with Visual Studio 2012, which is definitely much more standards compliant than whatever was available to Blizzard back in 1998, and therefore would have required a potentially large refactoring of the codebase. End result: a mere patch.

11/11/2016 11:01 AMPosted by OShogun
That would not make the games "look as good as they play", because upscaling a 2D 640x480 game in a 4K monitor does not look good ~at all~ (at least not in the way that is done natively by video cards). Even if HD remaster did not happen, that could at least mean a decent upscaling algorithm (they exist but usually need to be implemented by software) is implemented in the game.

The point is widely open to interpretation, I see it as weak evidence of a remaster.

Edit: I want to also say that the job description is not unique for StarCraft, if it was evidence of a remaster for StarCraft, you would also have to argue that it's evidence of a remaster for WC3 and D2 as well.
11/11/2016 04:58 PMPosted by xboi209
Edit: I want to also say that the job description is not unique for StarCraft, if it was evidence of a remaster for StarCraft, you would also have to argue that it's evidence of a remaster for WC3 and D2 as well.

I think remaster is a too strong word, but I do think that they at some point had plans for a meaningful upgrade in those games. Warcraft 3 did receive such an upgrade at some point, as it originally did not support widescreen resolutions (only on the Mac). Now they do (although it uses a stretch of the FOV for the actual graphics, the game UI is properly scaled to widescreen). When I talk about a remaster, I never said it had to be in standalone format. That's why I think the word upgrade is more appropriate.

I'm also inclined to believe that they no longer have such plans.