HotS Companion Android App Suspended - Need Help

API Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
It's THE BEST app for Hots. It's user friendly, clear, all in one and with most info about game, heroes etc.... And I have tried others app which are good but Hots companion is best. Pls bring it back to Google Play store. Pls pls please...
02/07/2017 04:28 PMPosted by Cracklerosy
Greetings Wanderer Gnejs,

Thank you for sending that over! I'll take a look and will move along from here. I will try my best to keep you updated on our progress via this thread here.

Thanks again and may the Mists protect you!
Cracklerosy

You're welcome! No news yet?
Any progress so far? I've lost about half my users during these two months and week by week keeps passing with very little feedback ;/
Hi everyone,
I'm from the Crossroads team and we've been experiencing a related issue with our free app for Overwatch on iOS. If there is a resolution for Gnejs, then it will likely be the same solution for us (and quite a few others, apparently).

I found this old thread that discusses whether game images and icons can be used as long as they follow the policies:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/16858395975
It looks like it should be okay?

However, our iOS app update was rejected with this message from Apple:
To be in compliance with our guidelines, if you are authorized to use these marks, please provide documentary evidence of your rights to allow all copyrighted third-party content. Once Legal has reviewed your documentation and confirms its validity, we will proceed with the review of your app.
If you do not have the requested permissions, please remove the the imagery from your app icon and screenshots.

It looks like this reviewer is looking for a legal document of some kind. I have found old threads discussing similar problems but was unable to find out whether the issues were resolved:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/18704974591 (old post from Gnejs)
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/18000551665

I emailed both the addresses listed and have not heard any response. The ones that were provided (if they are still in use?) were blizzsocialcsrep@blizzard.com and api-support@battle.net. I'm assuming that with the many third-party apps that are out there for the various Blizzard games, there must be some kind of process they followed to be able to publish to the app stores?

Like Gnejs, I would love some clarification on how to resolve this!
Hi everyone,
[...]
I emailed both the addresses listed and have not heard any response. The ones that were provided (if they are still in use?) were blizzsocialcsrep@blizzard.com and api-support@battle.net. I'm assuming that with the many third-party apps that are out there for the various Blizzard games, there must be some kind of process they followed to be able to publish to the app stores?

Like Gnejs, I would love some clarification on how to resolve this!

I can confirm that blizzsocialcsrep@blizzard.com doesn't seem to be used any more, I e-mailed it in December and in January and there was never any response.
Hey Gnejs,
While we wait for a response, we've had some experience with the Google Play Store and maybe we can help? You can email us at contact@crossroadsapp.co to discuss!
02/21/2017 05:19 PMPosted by crossroads
Hey Gnejs,
While we wait for a response, we've had some experience with the Google Play Store and maybe we can help? You can email us at contact@crossroadsapp.co to discuss!

Their latest word was pretty much: Respond with a signed document, anything else will be ignored. And since they can and have ignored developers permanently without warning there is no way my next response to them is anything but the signed document.
Their support does not listen to reason nor do they care about how they have handled similar Apps in the past, they have no regard for consistency or justice.

Thanks for the offer though, it is appreciated, but in this matter I'll just wait for Blizzard. :)

Thank you for sending that over! I'll take a look and will move along from here. I will try my best to keep you updated on our progress via this thread here.

Cracklerosy

Hi, it's been two weeks now without any sign of life.
Any updates? Something? Are YOU still alive?:P

Cheers
blizz pls
Omg Blizz, pls Help <3
Can you just host an apk somewhere outside the App store? Include a means of donating too. Maybe give codes to go ad free.

All people have to do is check allow unknown sources.

I love the app.

Cracklerosy

It has now been more than 20 days without any presence. It is getting rather disappointing now ;o
02/27/2017 09:18 PMPosted by VK30
Can you just host an apk somewhere outside the App store? Include a means of donating too. Maybe give codes to go ad free.

All people have to do is check allow unknown sources.

I love the app.

That would only work for <1% of all the users since people wouldn't know where to look and there wouldn't be any new users since the App wouldn't be possible to find in Google Play.
Your app is the fastest and most lightweight app out there. I got premium within the first month or two of downloading.

Any plans on reuploading to Play under a different name? I know HotS Companion is an attractive name, but at this point, the alternative apps are starting to pick up steam and I would much prefer using your app.

Best of luck, man.
03/05/2017 05:26 PMPosted by eNvy
Your app is the fastest and most lightweight app out there. I got premium within the first month or two of downloading.

Any plans on reuploading to Play under a different name? I know HotS Companion is an attractive name, but at this point, the alternative apps are starting to pick up steam and I would much prefer using your app.

Best of luck, man.

Since Google are saying that I require signed legal documents and that it is just not the matter of the name, if it was they would just tell me to change it. Uploading it again and I would risk getting my whole account banned.

Cracklerosy

Hi, I am curious how you can say "I will try my best to keep you updated" when it's now been 27 days without a word, not sure if I should be sad, disappointed or angry... :/ *sigh* What's happening?
03/05/2017 06:44 PMPosted by Gnejs

Since Google are saying that I require signed legal documents and that it is just not the matter of the name, if it was they would just tell me to change it. Uploading it again and I would risk getting my whole account banned.

Hi Gnejs,
Are you able to share the exact content of the response from Google? (not sure if you had posted it somewhere but maybe our experience can help)

This is the message we received from the Apple App Review Board when we sent in our appeal:
Design 4.1
We continue to find that your marketing screenshots display third-party imagery from Overwatch, which creates a misleading association with Overwatch.

Please provide documentary evidence of your rights to use this third-party imagery. Acceptable documentation includes a copy of your contract with the copyright holder or a letter from the copyright holder to your company, detailing your authorization. Please be sure to include dates, rights holders' names, your company's name, and relevant signatures.

Alternatively, please remove the third-party imagery from your marketing screenshots.

We had enough evidence from previous apps and forum responses that our usage fit within the Terms of Use so we tried removing any Overwatch assets from the app store screenshots (even though the actual app still contains the assets). Oddly enough, then the app was approved.

Does the language you received from the Google Play Store include any references to screenshots?
03/05/2017 06:44 PMPosted by Gnejs

Hi Gnejs,
Are you able to share the exact content of the response from Google? (not sure if you had posted it somewhere but maybe our experience can help)

Does the language you received from the Google Play Store include any references to screenshots?

It is the first part of the very first post of this thread.

No mentions of screenshots. No explicit mentions of anything really since they love to vaguely reference a major policy.

Have a nice day, cheers!
Hey Gnejs!
I'm not sure if this will be helpful but I went back and looked at the previous posts and am a little curious as to what your response to them was? It seems like Google wants you to prove your "relationship" to Heroes of the Storm? This wording seems a little odd to me, as if they are trying to validate that you're an official developer for them?

Did you send Google a copy of the official policy?

What is Blizzard Entertainment's® copyright/trademark policy for the
Internet, specifically for fansites? Can I use Blizzard Entertainment's®
images, text or sound on my web page?
Yes, within certain limits. We asked our legal department to provide some
guidelines for you, and here is what they said:

Blizzard Entertainment® hereby grants you a personal, non-exclusive,
non-transferable and non- assignable license to use and display, for home,
noncommercial and personal use only, one copy of any material and/or
software that you may download from this site, including, but not limited
to, any files, codes, audio or images incorporated in or generated by the
software (collectively the "Downloaded Content") provided, however, that
you must include or maintain all copyright and other notices contained or
associated with such Downloaded Content.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/legal-faq.html

This is basically the equivalent of a legal document, so I'm wondering if sending them this would be sufficient?
Hey Gnejs!
I'm not sure if this will be helpful but I went back and looked at the previous posts and am a little curious as to what your response to them was? It seems like Google wants you to prove your "relationship" to Heroes of the Storm? This wording seems a little odd to me, as if they are trying to validate that you're an official developer for them?

Did you send Google a copy of the official policy?

This is basically the equivalent of a legal document, so I'm wondering if sending them this would be sufficient?

- The Policy excerpt was even part of my App Description (due to previous rejections)
- I have sent it before (around the same time I added it to the desc, see above)
- I also sent it this time and mentioned it again, as well as linking to this thread
- I also mentioned that other developers of Blizzard related Apps have gotten approved/appealed by referencing it ( I've talked to others).

The App was also clearly stated to be unofficial, in the short description, in the very beginning at the large description as well before the legal section of the description.

They didn't seem to care nor comment about any of it.
The end of it all being, someone at Google has set their mind of getting that document and doesn't care about anything else, literally.