Track progress of 7.2 buildings ?

API Discussion
Hi guys !

My friend and I are trying to dev a web page that allows you to track the progress of the Broken shore buildings (Mage Tower etc.). Unfortunately, i've been searching for hours through the community API but I can't find a way to track down this progress.

I know the Legion mobile app tracks the progress but I don't think their datas are publicly available. Is there a proper way to track this kind of information ?
One thread would have been enough and no, there is no data publicy available.
I'm currently recording building progress every 10 minutes across all 5 regions, as part of the WoW Token Info project. The data I'm collecting is not publicly available (yet). I might be convinced to create an API for you to consume to build a web app.
It's not a public API, but I developed a quick page for the latest data here:

https://magetower.info/
@erorus: I like the:
This file is not to be used anywhere except magetower.info. Do not fetch this file via any script or bot.

I guess the only way you can do that is by third-party wow-client (maybe homemade) that log every 10min and check the same way as a wow addon can do to snapshot datas, ftp that datas (snapshot.json) into your magetower.info server.
Else, you are secretly working for Blizzard :P cause like you said ... not publicly available !
04/07/2017 01:16 PMPosted by BlinkSun
@erorus: I like the:
This file is not to be used anywhere except magetower.info. Do not fetch this file via any script or bot.

I guess the only way you can do that is by third-party wow-client (maybe homemade) that log every 10min and check the same way as a wow addon can do to snapshot datas, ftp that datas (snapshot.json) into your magetower.info server.
Else, you are secretly working for Blizzard :P cause like you said ... not publicly available !

The best way is each time you log in to play with your friends, note the constructions progress and log it wherever you want... because third-party is illegal, don't do that !
@erorus Any way to use the data for a personal discord bot?
Not at this time. But I'll think about it.
04/06/2017 02:46 PMPosted by erorus
It's not a public API, but I developed a quick page for the latest data here:

https://magetower.info/

Any way you could add a JSON output or something because I'm super lazy and will love you forever?

Edit: I'm looking to make one of these myself, where are you pulling the data from? If there were any official blizzard page with building status on it I could just harvest it from the source, but I don't want to do so from any third party websites. Are you grabbing from something official, or a fan site?

Edit again: Okay, I found where your json data is but see the alert about no third-party sites harvesting it, so that's out. You must have a pretty cool setup to grab this data, I was originally under the impression you were doing something anybody could do and just happened to be the first, not that you actually had some sort of unique client setup allowing this. I guess I'll just have to wait for an actual API update to do this on my own :c
04/21/2017 06:24 PMPosted by Extremity
I'm looking to make one of these myself, where are you pulling the data from? If there were any official blizzard page with building status on it I could just harvest it from the source, but I don't want to do so from any third party websites. Are you grabbing from something official, or a fan site?

The building data comes from an automated process where a dedicated computer logs into the game on each region every 10 minutes. It's piggybacked on the same process I was already using to get token pricing data for wowtoken.info.
Okay, I found where your json data is but see the alert about no third-party sites harvesting it, so that's out. You must have a pretty cool setup to grab this data, I was originally under the impression you were doing something anybody could do and just happened to be the first, not that you actually had some sort of unique client setup allowing this. I guess I'll just have to wait for an actual API update to do this on my own :c
I'm thinking about "licensing" the data, something like a one-time fee of $5 gets you a JSON endpoint you can scrape every 10 minutes. Haven't decided if it's worth the trouble to set up.
@erorus I've a question fetching data, actual way is, that I write values in variables cache. (An external tool reads it for further processing) The problem I encounter is the automated login - as far I know autologin is not against the TOS. (Multiboxingtools are able to login and they are allowed)

I would appreciate if you add me: Veneanar#2680 or ICQ: 83660409 (yes , good old ICQ)
Licensing the data probably won't get you very far for just this.

However, developing a service where you aggregate in-game data, save it locally, and let people access it through a homemade API might be. Most things will eventually become irrelevant or will be added to the web API anyways, but I think there are a lot of people interested in a "backup" API - something new is added, there's no way to get it, but they can utilize your service to access it until there's an official way.

Since you already have a client set up to save data locally on your end, any time something new is added it shouldn't be much work to say "also pull this data" and add a new API function for it. As a developer, I'm sure you know how serious people are about always wanting their websites to be up-to-date and support the latest in-game additions; even if it's temporary, having something like that as a fallback would probably be a really big deal. Hell, I'd use it as long as it were kept updated.

So yeah, I don't know about paying just for this (one time payment or not), but paying for a "I'll give you access to relevant in-game data until there's an official way, any time new !@#$ is added" type of thing is a different story.

I suppose the real question is if that would violate the ToS; I'm not 100% sure but I've got a feeling Blizzard would not be happy about somebody charging to give people access to in-game data that's available to everyone... but technically you aren't charging them for the data, they could get it on their own if they want to take the time to set up a client solution -- they're paying you for access to your API, not the data obtained via using it.

Honestly, I really want to build something like this now and it seems like it would be really fun. I just don't have the time (or, honestly, enough application-relevant knowledge to do it without constantly referring to a code reference) to do the client-side stuff, but the making an API for people part would be a blast. I hope you do something with it! The whole mage tower site is only going to remain relevant as long as the API hasn't been updated, you know?
04/24/2017 06:28 AMPosted by Extremity
Licensing the data probably won't get you very far for just this.

However, developing a service where you aggregate in-game data, save it locally, and let people access it through a homemade API might be. Most things will eventually become irrelevant or will be added to the web API anyways, but I think there are a lot of people interested in a "backup" API - something new is added, there's no way to get it, but they can utilize your service to access it until there's an official way.

Yeah, I know the idea's kinda shaky but has some promise. Apart from WoW tokens and Broken Shore buildings, there isn't much in-game that's both dynamic and region-wide anyway.

Honestly, it's not so much that I want to make a buck, but if the official API is going to be slow to add things, and I have an opportunity to serve that data, I'll consider exploiting that opportunity.

WoWToken.info's data API was open for a long time, and right now I get around 125,000 requests every day from other apps and sites. I see the demand. Might want to consider monetizing it.

I suppose the real question is if that would violate the ToS; I'm not 100% sure but I've got a feeling Blizzard would not be happy about somebody charging to give people access to in-game data that's available to everyone...

I know they wouldn't be pleased about it. But all they'd have to do to shut it down is to provide the same data for free. ;) Or send me a C&D, I guess.
I just hope that your intent with that is to force Blizzard to finally provide this information via their API in contrast to actually make money with this.
It looks like the website where I was interested in an implementation like this is already client-piggybacking their own data, and since there is IN-game API support for building data adding that on isn't a big deal, so I suppose that's covered.

I didn't realize the in-game (or "addon") API had already been updated to support buildings, and even the buffs they provide; I'm sort of shocked that the web API isn't updated relative to the game API, I understand that one may receive more use than the other but when you're updating one it should pop into your head that the other's going to need an update, too.

I think the main thing that gets me is I know for an absolute fact that it's not difficult to make these new additions, nor is it time consuming. If you've got somebody on staff that is dedicated to mobile, web, or the API itself then what are they doing if they can't maintain new API additions without it taking weeks or months to see a change? For a company this big and for a product with as much exposure as WoW (and with so many fan sites that rely on the API) I would really expect it to be updated to support new live features pretty much instantly. I just don't get it and wish somebody could explain to me why there is always such a long delay, lack of communication, and occasional implication that something doesn't exist yet due to some non-existent complication. The data is there, just pass the damn thing to us! :(
04/25/2017 04:11 AMPosted by Extremity
I think the main thing that gets me is I know for an absolute fact that it's not difficult to make these new additions, nor is it time consuming. If you've got somebody on staff that is dedicated to mobile, web, or the API itself then what are they doing if they can't maintain new API additions without it taking weeks or months to see a change? For a company this big and for a product with as much exposure as WoW (and with so many fan sites that rely on the API) I would really expect it to be updated to support new live features pretty much instantly. I just don't get it and wish somebody could explain to me why there is always such a long delay, lack of communication, and occasional implication that something doesn't exist yet due to some non-existent complication. The data is there, just pass the damn thing to us! :(

The API is at the bottom of the priority list for all the game teams. The API team is awesome and super passionate about it, and I'm sure there are individual developers within the game teams that would love to spend more time on the APIs, but outside of the API team, there is no incentive or high-level direction to work on API development. In other words, there are people in the role you described, but they can't actually make changes to individual game APIs without support from the game teams who de-prioritize API development. So, we're stuck in this middle-ground where we have some APIs with a very active community of people using it (and relying on it), but no chance of Blizzard providing the necessary resources to properly support and empower that community.
I changed my mind. Anyone can use https://data.magetower.info/magetower.json for personal projects. Web pages, mobile apps, discord bots, whatever. No silly licensing fee.

Updates once every 10 minutes. Don't spam it for updates. No warranty expressed or implied.
04/29/2017 12:16 PMPosted by erorus
I changed my mind. Anyone can use https://data.magetower.info/magetower.json for personal projects. Web pages, mobile apps, discord bots, whatever. No silly licensing fee.

Updates once every 10 minutes. Don't spam it for updates. No warranty expressed or implied.

Well damn dude 10/10 love you :)
@erorus Wow! Thanks so much for sharing your hard work! I'll be pinging it once an hour for my site :)
Just letting y'all know that magetower.info is now closed and no longer provides building status.

With the new WoW Token API, I won't need to have something log into the game to get token data every 10 minutes. Since I won't be logging into the game, I won't be getting any new building data.