Apple's Bonjour Service?

Technical Support
I just noticed today that the Bonjour Service was running on my machine
starting yesterday..
According to its time stamp (‎Yesterday, ‎April ‎02, ‎2017, ‏‎5:17:27 PM)..
C:\Program Files (x86)\Blizzard\Bonjour Service\mDNSResponder.exe

why?! I do not use any Apple software on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

I am asking because it appears to be something Blizzard related...
I have installed
1) Battle.Net App
2) World of Warcraft
3) Starcraft 2
4) Starcraft 1
5) Starcraft 1 (PTR)(v1.18.0)

What installed it, is using it and why?!

ps: if this is the wrong from feel free to move it but let me know.. since battle.net forums DO NOT send out emails to keep everyone informed like a normal forum does.. its possible I will lose this thread. :/

EDIT1:
the only thing I did yesterday in regards to Battle.Net and Blizzard was downloading and trying out.. Starcraft 1's (v1.18.0)(PTR build)
Moving this from the Blizzard API Discussion forum to the Desktop App Technical Support forum. They should be able to help with this issue.
ok.... but! lol only if anyone reads/sees my topic BEFORE it gets buried on another page and I'm forced to bump it... <_<
bump
Hey all,

This is installed along with some of our Classic games such as Warcraft III and I believe is used to help when playing LAN games. If you don't play any lan games you can safely disable the service and delete the folder. However it may be reinstalled with future updates of the games.
Hey all,

This is installed along with some of our Classic games such as Warcraft III and I believe is used to help when playing LAN games. If you don't play any LAN games you can safely disable the service and delete the folder. However it may be reinstalled with future updates of the games.

ok, the only classic game I have installed is
Starcraft 1 v1.17.0 (patched up from v1.16.1, using the unreleased patch)
and downloaded Starcraft 1 v1.18.0 PTR(b1202)

so it must have been the Public Test Realm version...
But how did it install? did Starcraft v1.18.0 PTR auto-download it and install itself?
Because I could not find a program uninstaller/entry in CCleaner for it?

or... since all I did with v1.18.0 PTR is download and run starcraft.exe install seems unlikely as I did use the installer for the UN-released v1.17.0 patch un top of my actually installed version of Starcraft 1...
And then there was silence.
What's that apple service bundled with your classic games for ? Is anyone sane to believe you just so happen to need some apple software installed on windows for a bunch of blizzard games that are almost 20 years old ? bonjour service didnt even exist back then.
You dont get to install this crap on people's machines without them knowing only to puke in their faces by telling them that they can safely disable it whenever they stumble upon it, if they so choose.
If we can safely disable it if we so choose then you shouldn't have installed it in the first place since it doesnt serve any particular purpose except more telemetry and spying.
You really really can't help it can you ? It itches, don't it ? Some day someone will scratch that itch really really good.
It is most likely tied with the classic game that has been remastered lately, aka Starcraft. They have made a download for MAC and PC, hence the apple service, "Bonjour". It's only there because of the MAC support that they added to the game, I believe. So I think you can just uninstall it, if you dont play on anything apple related.
I am not happy with this service being installed and running automatically either.

I kind of wish Blizzard never updated the game..
Actually it is kind of scummy for them to be doing this, thank you blizzard for yet again making other dev companies look far better than yourselves.
Since i installed Starcraft yesterday the loading of internetpages was insanely slow.. and sometimes i got a 404..
All speedtest works fine and games works fine too.. i tested all over the day.. with my laptop i can surf smoothly on the same ethernetport.. with a linux live cd i can surf smoothly on the same hardware.. with my normal desktopsystem not.. so i searched and found the service "bonjour"... since i deactivate it with msconfig my host system works now..
Please remove this service in future releases that no other people have such "blizzard related" problems...
Just disable it
How can i completely remove it from the registry!? It's left even after uninstalling of Starcraft. I don't want it left with any trace.
you all winne like some disney princesses
How to completely remove Bonjour after unnistalling StarCraft:

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Blizzard\Bonjour Service

Shift + Rightclick in a blank space inside the folder
Open prompt here...
Type: mDNSResponder.exe -remove

Press WINDOWS+R write regedit
Press CTRL+F search for bonjour and delete all results

Try to delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Blizzard, if you can't, wait about 30min and try again. If it fails again, reboot computer.

What a pain in the !@# this thing.
04/19/2017 07:14 PMPosted by Wookien
It is most likely tied with the classic game that has been remastered lately, aka Starcraft. They have made a download for MAC and PC, hence the apple service, "Bonjour". It's only there because of the MAC support that they added to the game, I believe. So I think you can just uninstall it, if you dont play on anything apple related.
Such utter bull!@#$ - don't talk about %^-* you don't know about. Bonjour is all a about network protocol that allows Blizzard to setup IP networks to communicate and nothing to do with "just mac support".

Which leads to an important question - is THIS the service that Blizzard is using to open up ports and "back door" into computers? If so - then wtf is your craptastic bloat/add-ware Blizzard Launcher for? And if the Blizzard Launcher is no longer doing the updating to your games because the newly hidden always running in the background service Blizzard Update Agent does all that now - why do we need the Launcher in the first place and which then leads back to the original WHY THE !@#$ do we need you to install bonjour on our computers?
Windows + R
type "services.msc" without the quotes and press ENTER

Find this Service (filter it by name) in the list, right click it, properties, click dropdown menu, choose "Disabled", hit 'Stop' before doing that to spot the service first.

If you're removing it, then stop it first, then try deleting the folder next. Run CCLeaner and wipe it out of the registry. If you just wan't it disabled, stop it and set startup type as 'Disabled' as above.
Hi Guys and Gals,

Classic Games is always happy for feedback and improving our products. Bonjour (mDNSResponder) is used to solve LAN service discovery and broadcast + UPNP port forwarding on all our platforms (which StarCraft had a lot of problems with before 1.18).

You can always opt out of installing it (Say no to the network helper UAC prompt) but LAN games will not be found or show up.

If you want to discuss this more please head over to the StarCraft forums (starcraft.com).

Thanks
05/15/2017 03:17 AMPosted by Oloo
04/19/2017 07:14 PMPosted by Wookien
Such utter bull!@#$ - don't talk about %^-* you don't know about. Bonjour is all a about network protocol that allows Blizzard to setup IP networks to communicate and nothing to do with "just mac support".

Which leads to an important question - is THIS the service that Blizzard is using to open up ports and "back door" into computers? If so - then wtf is your craptastic bloat/add-ware Blizzard Launcher for? And if the Blizzard Launcher is no longer doing the updating to your games because the newly hidden always running in the background service Blizzard Update Agent does all that now - why do we need the Launcher in the first place and which then leads back to the original WHY THE !@#$ do we need you to install bonjour on our computers?

Bon Jour is for the LAN functionability with Windows 8+ for the older Blizzzard (classic) games that are not "supported" by the Battle.net launcher.
Don't know if you need it. But I suppose Blizzard would not bundle it if it wasnt vital for the compatibility.
I got a push notice that it wasnt activated when I was gonna start an online game in Starcraft 1 today. Was gonna se if the Remastered had been activated.
05/14/2017 06:38 AMPosted by keac
How to completely remove Bonjour after unnistalling StarCraft:

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Blizzard\Bonjour Service

Shift + Rightclick in a blank space inside the folder
Open prompt here...
Type: mDNSResponder.exe -remove

Press WINDOWS+R write regedit
Press CTRL+F search for bonjour and delete all results

Try to delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Blizzard, if you can't, wait about 30min and try again. If it fails again, reboot computer.

What a pain in the !@# this thing.

Thank you ever so much.

I can't believe that Blizzard is now stooping to installing malware on their clients' computers. What a shame!