[D2] **Update 3 (01/04)** Asia Server Consolidation

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
As modernization efforts for the legacy server infrastructure continue, Diablo II Characters on Asia 2 and Asia 3 will be merged into the Asia Gateway. Here is an overview and timeline for the associated actions:

December 5th, 2017
• Character creation on Asia 2 and Asia 3 will be disabled

December 12th, 2017
• Season 20 Ladder Characters will transition to Non-Ladder as normal for all Gateways
• Season 21 will begin for Asia1, Europe, US East, and US West Gateways

January 4th, 2018
• Asia 2 and Asia 3 Gateways will be taken offline
• Characters on Asia 2 and Asia 3 will be backed up
• Characters on Asia 2 and Asia 3 will be merged into Asia Gateway
• Character limits will be upgraded for all Gateways from 8 to 18 characters
• If applicable, players on Asia Gateway will be able to access all 24 Characters, but cannot create new Characters until their total falls below 18 Characters
• Duplicate Character names from the merge will get a postfix on their name: Adventurer, Adventurer1, Adventurer2

End of January, 2018
• Renaming will be available for Character names that received a postfix

Thank you for your understanding and continued support. Please use this thread for questions around the merge process.

Classic Games Team

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 3:
* Characters in realms Asia2 and Asia3 have been merged into a single account in realm Asia.
* Players can have up to a maximum of 18 characters in each account.
* We have an issue enabling more than 18 characters for accounts that have up to 24 due to Asia merge and will be updating the server at 1700 PST to fix this.

Known issues:
* WinXP and MacOS clients do not display more than 18 characters. Accounts with more than 18 characters from the Asia merge will not display unless a character is removed from the character selection list.
* WinXP and MacOS clients do not display a scroll bar for Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction. Players will have to use the up and down arrow keys to scroll through the character list.
* The scroll bar can behave inconsistently when switching between arrow keys or mouse scroll wheel. Navigating to the game lobby or exiting from the character select screen should fix this.
12/05/2017 04:45 PMPosted by Robust
Will duplicate character names be able to be renamed back to their original name?

Robust -

Only if that name isn't taken already on the realm. Also, the renaming follows the current naming convention and standards.

Thanks,
Matthew
wew!

nice work blizzard, are you planning on eventually merging east/west or east/europe?
• Character limits will be upgraded for all Gateways from 8 to 18 characters

O_O
Holyy !@#$
awesome! hope this happens for US servers!!
should just merge useast and uswest so we actually have a large player base
east/west merge would be nice
Merge east and west
Funny when I brought this up everyone said no this is a terrible idea and then they do it and now everyone loves the idea... !@#$ing fan boys.
Merge east and west! such good idea! do it!
East and West merge is a lot more complex than Asia2/3 due handling duplicate named accounts that could be owned by different people (cant rename the account as you use that to login) where as Asia2/3 the characters are all owned by the same account and thus can rename them with little impact.

Not saying its off the table but lets see how this goes first.
Thanks for answering that topic Mark.

On another note: This server reset caused some fuss/rollbacks :/

Me and my friend just traded. We swapped item x and item y. I had item x.
We traded directly when servers went up.
After trade realm went down. I log in now and I don't have item Y which he gave me. Instead I have item X (my old) back again.

The sad part? He also has my item, item X (effectively duplicated). And item Y was lost...

Will you be rolling back servers to before server reset?
I would rather not see east and west combined. I don't want the hacked items on west come to east and i'd rather have the realms separate for ping reasons.
12/05/2017 05:20 PMPosted by Mark Chandler
East and West merge is a lot more complex than Asia2/3 due handling duplicate named accounts that could be owned by different people (cant rename the account as you use that to login) where as Asia2/3 the characters are all owned by the same account and thus can rename them with little impact.

generally on reset like 90% of people just ditch all the non ladder stuff anyway ... could just favor east or west, and whoever gets the brunt end of the deal, gets the brunt end of the deal, let's say you chose to save west and delete east or vice versa i would be happy with either :P i currently play east but i would be fine if you deleted all my accounts and merged servers.. i'm sure there's a few people who wouldn't like that but you're neve going to please everyone now are you?
12/05/2017 05:32 PMPosted by SatanReturns
I would rather not see east and west combined. I don't want the hacked items on west come to east and i'd rather have the realms separate for ping reasons.

I believe east has more hacked items.

How bad is your ping i can play both realms between 49-100
12/05/2017 05:39 PMPosted by BadHabits

generally on reset like 90% of people just ditch all the non ladder stuff anyway ... could just favor east or west, and whoever gets the brunt end of the deal, gets the brunt end of the deal, let's say you chose to save west and delete east or vice versa i would be happy with either :P i currently play east but i would be fine if you deleted all my accounts and merged servers.. i'm sure there's a few people who wouldn't like that but you're neve going to please everyone now are you?

Blizz, you may do alot of things but whatever you do, don't do this^.
Nonladder is legacy, a track record of 2 decades of d2. Ladder is where its fresh, for those who are off that flavour.
12/05/2017 05:39 PMPosted by BadHabits

with all cdkey s mainly getting registered to bnet could they simply sent notice to all users that effect account names is now xxx1 you have an option to edit account name after.