[D2] Linux users - Login issues > Game crashing

General Discussion
Hello there,

I run Diablo 2 in Linux using WINE (www.winehq.org).

Since yesterday the game crashes upon reaching the Bnet Login screen.
Single-player works flawlessly - thus it appears to be a server-side issue.

Are other Linux users experiencing this also?

Thanks!
Yes. 2-3 seconds after I log in to Battle.net the game crashes. In addition it seems this is not really isolated to just us. There was another user running Windows that reported the same thing.

Unfortunately what WineDebug has spat out is not tremendously helpful. I hope that Blizz can fix this.
I fixed this by setting Game.exe to run under Windows 2003 compatibility. It crashes on exit, but I can log into Battle.net.

Also, Blizzard does not support WINE.
Hi r3dox,

I understand that Blizzard doesn't officially support WINE. It just sucks that I can't seem to play my favorite game anymore. I logged in and played just fine on November 24th, 2017... Now I am unable to due to the crashing.

I tried Win 2003/XP profile adjustment in WineCFG but it seems that the game still freezes when I attempt to log into Battle.net with a few of the following lines popping up and the game pegs the CPU at 100%:

0070:err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7bce69c0 "loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 0070, blocked by 006d, retrying (60 sec)
005d:err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7bce69c0 "loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 005d, blocked by 006d, retrying (60 sec)

It doesn't smell like a driver issue as I'm using the Nvidia Binary blob and other stuff loads just fine.

There's some kind of change they introduced recently which is making it difficult for me to log into Bnet for some reason and I am not grokking what it is.
I'm sorry that didn't work for you. I don't have any other help, though. For me, it was working fine before the ladder reset, and then I was having trouble logging in before I changed to Windows 2003 profile and (luckily) worked fine.

Using WINE 2.13 staging (no CMST enabled for game) on 64 bit prefix. I am also using the Nvidia blob, so I would tend to think that isn't the issue either, but systems vary...

Sorry!
I appreciate your tips/assistance regardless :) It was kind of you. It worked for me fine on Nov 24th which is why I am scratching my head now. Dunno. Was literally about to buy another copy so I could have my buddy play at home with me (he was going ww barb too which would have been perfect for ladder progression/baals).

I'm holding onto my money until this is figured out or something. Would be super sad to walk away from this behemoth of a game. !@#$... I met two of my exes on here ffs.
The issue is not limited to Linux, and very unlikely to be WINE related. See for example this post:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20760465928

Browsing through the different winecfg settings (Windows XP to Windows 10) it is, however, curious to to note that the game crashes in different ways under different Windows versions.

For instance, Windows XP doesn't crash at all on my system - rather, the screen freezes and becomes unresponsive upon the first keystroke.
I am getting the exact same issue now. I am going to poke around a bit and see if I can figure something out. I don't want to be restricted to only playing Single player. What's the fun in that?
EDIT:
After deleting the log, or reinstalling the game, the new BnetLog.txt is empty.

The readout below probably preceded the crashes and isn't relevant.

There's been talk of a timing issue,
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20760155876?page=3#post-53
I wonder if that might contribute to the issue.

Possibly I'm misreading it, but I'm at GMT+1, yet Bnet seems to identify me as GMT-1.

BnetLog.txt:
4/18 00:48:35.056 Connecting to Battle.net...
4/18 00:48:35.068 querying gateway europe.battle.net
4/18 00:48:35.132 searching for the fastest server
4/18 00:48:35.171 Connected to server 5.42.181.17
4/18 00:48:35.181 accessing accounts
4/18 00:48:35.282 Checking for the latest version
4/18 00:48:35.392 Connected to Battle.net
4/18 00:48:35.802 Parsing new gateway list (version 1009)
4/18 00:48:35.802 Find gateway closest to -1.00
4/18 00:48:35.802 Gateway 4 (europe.battle.net at GMT -1) is closest to -1.00
4/18 00:48:35.802 Recording gateway list selection
I'm unable to dig anything up. I've tried multiple variations of configuration adjustments but nothing really seems to help. Only once was I able to get to the character screen and it was just stuck saying 'Connecting...'.

I'm pulling my hair out attempting this. My buddy runs Win 10 and he's running into the same issue.

I'm at my wit's end but I'll still try and poke around, see if something works.
I thought I was going crazy, in preparation of reset I installed game in Wineskin Winery (playing on OSX). Everything worked, then day of reset I get the very same issue. Tried different versions, tried PlayOnMac, tried reinstalling. Nothing works.

Blizzard please. It worked fine for years..
I have the same issues as described above (SP works, ~3 secs after battle.net button is clicked game crashes), however using different compatibility modes did not work. I tried all of them and each time i get a slightly different wine output.
I use:
Linux 4.14.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT x86_64
with
wine-3.0-rc1

I understand there is no support, but given that Windows users experience similar Problems (although I don't - on an old Win7 Laptop) it may help you track down the issue.
The following output is from wine with Windows XP compatibility set:

0041:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0 stub
0041:fixme:ole:CoInitializeSecurity ((nil),-1,(nil),(nil),0,3,(nil),0,(nil)) - stub!
0041:fixme:wbemprox:wbem_locator_QueryInterface interface {00000126-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} not implemented
0041:fixme:console:AttachConsole stub ffffffff
0041:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
[2017-12-14T17:17:02Z][..\source\main.cpp:690][INFO]: System Survey 2.3.1.44, Data Version 3, Git Revision v2.3.0.42-20-ge49c7e7, Copyright (C) 2013 Blizzard Entertainment. All rights reserved.
[2017-12-14T17:17:02Z][..\source\main.cpp:764][INFO]: Exit value: 0
004d:err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7bce59c0 "../../../wine/dlls/ntdll/loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 004d, blocked by 004b, retrying (60 sec)

Would it be possible to say what changes have been made to the server so we can all help pinpoint the problem?
Yes, it's puzzling.

Another user told me he made the game work by rolling back his wine to 1.3.2.
You might try if that works for you.

I have tried 1.2, 1.3.2, 1.4, 1.5, and some more, all with similar failures.

In case you stumble across anything, please report back.
Tested 1.3.2, now it freezes upon clicking Battle.net button, before connecting messages
This is most curious:
I played single player for about an hour, then tried connecting to Bnet and was able to. I created a character, joined a game, created a game, then exited Diablo just to be sure.

Upon restarting the game, it once again crashes when reaching the Bnet login screen.

Hmm...?
Got something new now, happens sometime if I don't try to type account info

"Game initialization failed". Can this help you identify the problem maybe?

https://i.imgur.com/UwfALc9.png
12/14/2017 11:26 AMPosted by shodan
Got something new now, happens sometime if I don't try to type account info

"Game initialization failed". Can this help you identify the problem maybe?

https://i.imgur.com/UwfALc9.png

This is commonly an error that is provided within a 24 hour window to a ban. If you were using any third party stuff or jsp- this is why/how you're seeing this. If you didn't use any third party stuff or jsp, open a ticket/case with Blizzard.
This happens before I try to login. If I try to type password it freezes, if I leave it at that it sometimes appears.

Note that this isn't in-game error like (8), it's an error that closes game after I click ok.

And I haven't played game for a year now, except 5 minute test day before reset, ever since losing my account by forgetting pw... (and blizzard refused to recover it for me even after I provided soooo much info and being on the same IP ...)

edit: One thing I discovered: login window will work and I can select character and enter chat if I delete ".wine/drive_c/Program Data/Blizzard Entertainment" folder. I can't enter any game still. I will get the error above but the game window still works if you minimize the error instead of clicking ok.
One thing I discovered: login window will work and I can select character and enter chat if I delete ".wine/drive_c/Program Data/Blizzard Entertainment" folder. I can't enter any game still. I will get the error above but the game window still works if you minimize the error instead of clicking ok.

Yes, deleting that folder does postpone the crash a few seconds. Long enough for me to reach the character screen. It contains bncache.dat, which must be rewritten.

My sense is that we are affected by the same issue which causes problems for some, though all, Windows, Mac and Linux users. Hopefully, whatever fix Blizzard applies will help all platforms.