Update Agent keeps harassing me!

Technical Support
Prev 1 4 5 6 20 Next
the prompts quit for me after I killed the Blizzard Update Agent process. Upon further inspection; I went in launcher settings/general, "when I launch a game"="Exit battle.net completely", However while in D3 I was still getting UAC prompts....so I ALT+Tab'd out, started task manager; saw & ended that process...just got finished playing 2 hours straight with no prompts.

https://ibb.co/g4ARAR
Same here, didn't change anything except an update of the Blizzard app a while back.
Hate it, pushing me out of OW comps 'n stuff.
And no, I'm not changing my UAC settings because Blizzard suddenly gives me pop-ups. Just fix your app.
12/15/2017 08:15 AMPosted by Eloemaz
Hey Anamortus,

The User Access Control window will show up depending on how the Windows User Access Control setting are set. If you do not want the window to show up you would need to change the [url="https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/access-protection/user-account-control/user-account-control-overview"]Windows User Access Control settings. [/url]

Sure, normally that's the case but my UAC settings haven't been touched at all this year and this issue has only started recently.
well their official word was that they'd done this temporarily, hoping they fix the issue soon before someone snaps
Ok good so I'm not the only one with this same problem. It could have almost got my character killed because it popped up while I was doing a mythic+ 15 dungeon run. This is really starting to annoy me. It keeps coming back even when I clicked YES like 20 times. If it's a problem on your end, blizzard... Please fix this.
same here, happening for several days now. would love a blue post that actually addresses this, rather than a "check your settings" nonsense...
Hey Anamortus,

The User Access Control window will show up depending on how the Windows User Access Control setting are set. If you do not want the window to show up you would need to change the [url="https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/access-protection/user-account-control/user-account-control-overview"]Windows User Access Control settings. [/url]

One shouldn't have to change the security settings for an entire operating system in order to resolve a new problem with existing software that has manifested itself recently (presumably after a recent change).

Given that UAC is a system-wide security implementation designed to prevent malicious software from being able to run automatically in the background, turning it off seems to me to be akin to suggesting that anti-virus might as well be turned off too.

I would rather think that the whatever change has occurred (be this a Microsoft Windows patch that the Battle Net software needs to be tweaked around, or a Battle Net software change that hasn't worked out as planned) should be investigated and fixed. I'm not seeing any other software on my computer bringing up a similar dialogue box, so something in the areas mentioned has changed and needs fixing IMO.

It truly is annoying to have WoW minimised whilst tanking a raid boss...
Greetings all!

I can understand the frustration as it does interfere with the game. We appreciate all of your patience and information provided so far!

We are aware of the App asking for admin password due to "Agent wants to make changes." There have been some recent certificate changes and patch updates.

If the prompt persists it may be due to the recent patch. We are currently looking for examples and requesting Log Goblin files be sent to toolsupport@blizzard.com.

For more information on the certificate updates, please refer to this post.

At the moment, we have not found any workarounds or resolutions yet. However, I will update the thread if we do find any possible resolutions :)

Thank you all for your patience!
I noticed that, Tekno, mentioned that ending the Blizzard Update Agent has helped their issue while they're playing in-game. If you do try this for a bit, please let me know if the issue persists or if it seemed to have worked.

(Windows only) After launching the game, follow these steps! Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and a task manager will come up. For those on Windows 10, you may need to click on More Details. Search for Blizzard Update Agent, and End the process.

It's not a fix by any means, but it will hopefully help the UAC popping up while in-game!
12/22/2017 09:13 PMPosted by Caterpepi
I noticed that, Tekno, mentioned that ending the Blizzard Update Agent has helped their issue while they're playing in-game. If you do try this for a bit, please let me know if the issue persists or if it seemed to have worked.

Granting the Battle.Net executable authority via admin privileges or setting up a task scheduler to run the executable via shortcut both eliminate the problem and avoid UAC changes. Running any game without the Battle.Net executable running, at least in my 2 hour runs of each game loaded (WoW, Hearthstone, Heroes, D3), doesn't seem to be getting any requests for updates. Killing the process removes the issue, with the exception that I can't pin down - the updater seems to reload itself at some point, even with the process ID force killed.
this is getting annoying!
Same has happened for me, glad that they're working on a solution though.
Holy !@#$ this is ruining my other games too. Blizzard QA used to be better than this.
12/22/2017 07:33 PMPosted by Caterpepi
Greetings all!

I can understand the frustration as it does interfere with the game. We appreciate all of your patience and information provided so far!

We are aware of the App asking for admin password due to "Agent wants to make changes." There have been some recent certificate changes and patch updates.

If the prompt persists it may be due to the recent patch. We are currently looking for examples and requesting [url="https://battle.net/support/article/28923?utm_source=internal-TechForum&utm_medium=posting&utm_campaign=BlizzardCS&utm_content=solution"]Log Goblin files[/url] be sent to toolsupport@blizzard.com.

For more information on the certificate updates, please [url="https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20760626838"]refer to this post[/url].

At the moment, we have not found any workarounds or resolutions yet. However, I will update the thread if we do find any possible resolutions :)

Thank you all for your patience!

Great... I follow your instructions, send the .zip, and get this:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Please fix annoying UAC requests for blizzard update agent
Sent: 23/12/2017 5:36 PM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'toolsupport@blizzard.com' on 23/12/2017 5:37 PM
552 5.7.0 message content and attachment content guidelines. d81sm52703830pfj.163 - gsmtp
I will support the previous speaker.
Official forum support agent gives us such advice !?
Seriously, he should be verified as fit for work in this position. It is not even funny.
Hey Anamortus,

That is not the problem, or the solution. The problem is a bug in the client, and you shouldn't be telling people to disable proper UAC settings.
The same thing has been happening to me as of the past 2-3 days, i had made one change to the pop-up to change the notification options so it didn't minimize my game. Since I use 2 monitors, the pop-up is showing on one monitor and the game is on the other. I'll have to wait for it to happen again to tell you exactly what change i did to stop it screwing up my game play.
I love our community. I was going nucking futs with this annoying bug. Happens multiple times a day.