D2 /Players Patch Request.

General Discussion
I know this will go on deaf ears mostly, but would it be possible to implement the /players function on the bnet servers?

I'm not sure what the community in general would think of this; however, as it stands now, you either have to join public games and not be rewarded because of limited drops, or you have to insult other players and join their trade games to get a small difficulty/drop boost. In fact, I just finished a game and had a player call me a troll for running an area 3 acts above where they were.

I agree, doing that is insulting in a way; however, it really is the only option available right now. Gathering friends and running is an option...but it is fairly inconsistent unless you are one the somewhat famous streamers where the world is your oyster.

Thus, it seems like adding the /players function would be beneficial to all. Currently, I play on US-East and I don't see any negative impacts, if at all...other than higher level and geared folks having more rolls at uniques, sets, and rune drops...for those that can run at higher player counts.

In any event, I think it is time to add the /players function as a battle net function. I am surprised that it hasn't been done already over the course of the 20 years of the games life.

Feel free to discuss pros/cons. With the current state of ladder, I think a soft patch for this would be beneficial to everyone...especially those who like to solo there way legit through the game at their own pace.

~Will
Naa your fine join any game u want mf were u want and as for the /players8 that will never be on bnet
Any particular reason why they won't add /players function on bnet? With the game aging as it is, it seems like it is time to add that function.

Also, Blizzard has solved the bot problem; however, there is a major D2jsp problem going on and it is ruining the in game trading economy. It is time that Blizzard put an end to that website once and for all. The elimination of the unfair advantage needs to be done before May when the new ladder starts.

Finally, I still side with adding /players function to bnet games. Its a soft patch at best and will bring a lot more consistency to farming. It would be nice if casuals could make the most of their farming time by being in control of how difficult the game is. It's in Diablo 3 through the selection of T-levels and Rifts. I think it would make D2 better as well.

Just a thought.
I can foresee a whole lot of problems developing on Battle.net with this feature.
01/12/2018 11:49 AMPosted by BearTribe
I can foresee a whole lot of problems developing on Battle.net with this feature.

Could you list some potential issues?

I think we would see more runes and items floating around the server for sure. Not sure on the gravity of impact that would have wholly on the economy though. On Players 8, more items drop which means more rolls for good items vs trash.

Right now, to get a P8 game, you have to sacrifice drops. The games just aren't out there that I can see. Sure there are runners...but everyone tends to help with a few xp leechers and drops get drained before you can see what dropped (bosses).

I'm pretty sure that adding the /players function with be a soft patch and given the current state of the economy, I don't think it would change much in terms of gameplay. There just isn't enough players out there to support full-team grinding after 2-3 weeks post ladder reset.

I think players should be able to have some level of consistency when grinding aside from players one solo.

If you could though, please list some of the negative impacts that you envision so we can discuss here.
There is nothing wrong with the economy, because there isn't an economy. Their isn't suppose to be an economy. There is trading item for item and sharing objects found in game. If you want to find good stuff to trade you have to go out and get the rng monster's juices going. Most people don't know how to do this, nor under stand it, because they have always been dependent on botters and items sellers to provide them with their gear.

So the normal behaviour is to get rushed to hell Baal and gear up by buying items off 3rd party websites. Then, when the character is equipped to do some damage and stay alive, then do some of your own runs to get some good gear to sell in order to have enough money to do the same thing next ladder.

I'm not saying you do this, but this is the norm of the game. Now, with what Blizzard has done to the 3rd party website economy, people are learning how to play through normal (hc) and stay alive with junk gear. While they are at it, they are learning that by clearing out the large quantities of monsters in most areas, plenty of runes and good items drop.

I'm not going to discuss what I foresee, because it is all guessing, but I don't think allowing botters and hackers the option of /players 8 is very wise idea. Besides, battle.net is multiplayer, not single player. I personally use 4 machines and 4 game keys, and always use 4 characters in one game when solo. When I want more characters in a game I go public and allow 4 others to join in. I often make park games so people can come in and farm the game for experience.

The community needs to adapt to the changes and learn to play the game the way the developers designed it. Not everyone wants to do this, nor has the ability to do it, but those that can and are considering it, should do it. Create a new in game player base, one that reflects the games original design. When more people do this and learn to use the rng monster, trades will pick up and more and more good things will be available.

Unfortunately, too many people only know how to play the game with hrs and elite gear that they purchase of 3rd party websites.
01/12/2018 12:41 PMPosted by BearTribe
There is nothing wrong with the economy, because there isn't an economy. Their isn't suppose to be an economy. There is trading item for item and sharing objects found in game. If you want to find good stuff to trade you have to go out and get the rng monster's juices going. Most people don't know how to do this, nor under stand it, because they have always been dependent on botters and items sellers to provide them with their gear.

So the normal behaviour is to get rushed to hell Baal and gear up by buying items off 3rd party websites. Then, when the character is equipped to do some damage and stay alive, then do some of your own runs to get some good gear to sell in order to have enough money to do the same thing next ladder.

I'm not saying you do this, but this is the norm of the game. Now, with what Blizzard has done to the 3rd party website economy, people are learning how to play through normal (hc) and stay alive with junk gear. While they are at it, they are learning that by clearing out the large quantities of monsters in most areas, plenty of runes and good items drop.

I'm not going to discuss what I foresee, because it is all guessing, but I don't think allowing botters and hackers the option of /players 8 is very wise idea. Besides, battle.net is multiplayer, not single player. I personally use 4 machines and 4 game keys, and always use 4 characters in one game when solo. When I want more characters in a game I go public and allow 4 others to join in. I often make park games so people can come in and farm the game for experience.

The community needs to adapt to the changes and learn to play the game the way the developers designed it. Not everyone wants to do this, nor has the ability to do it, but those that can and are considering it, should do it. Create a new in game player base, one that reflects the games original design. When more people do this and learn to use the rng monster, trades will pick up and more and more good things will be available.

Unfortunately, too many people only know how to play the game with hrs and elite gear that they purchase of 3rd party websites.

Good points raised. I remember the good ole days of 1.06-1.09. I just don't see D2 ever reaching a player base to the good times when the game was in its hay day.

I think the RNG of the game is perfect. I have found numerous HR's this season including Bers, a Sur, Lo, and a Cham. I'm averaging about 1 HR for every 2-4 hours running Chaos over and over. I'd certainly run Chaos on P8 if I could consistently; however, the public games are hit and miss and not consistent.

To one of your points though, not all people have access to multiple computers and keys for an elaborate setup to generate P8 artificially.

Finally, I do agree that Runewords are broken and probably one of the things that has ruined Diablo 2. Things that used to be relevant like Hellslayer, Windforce, Arkaines Valor, ect....are worthless in game and outclassed by most runewords...even the dirt cheap ones. Unfortunately, there isn't much that can or will be done given the games age.

All in all, I just don't see why there is a resistance to allowing players to set their own difficulty like in Diablo 3. For the casual player with only an hour a day to play, running RNG on mobs at even players 4 consistently would be more rewarding than on players 1 solo as it is now.

----------------------------

On another topic, when the OP runewords were brought into the game, I think that was the time that immune monsters were brought in as well. Honestly, I would enjoy getting back to the roots of Diablo by nerfing many of the OP runewords and also nerfing Immune monsters.

Just my personal opinion, I think monsters should not be totally immune to any type of attack. I think it would be fair to make immune monsters that exist currently in game to be bumped down to 99% resists. As it is now, certain character classes are restricted to certain areas during the level and gearing process and I don't think that was the original intention of the game.

As we both know, changes are not going to come. But I think it is always nice to discuss these things in the public arena to get the juices flowing. I still stand by implementing the players function on bnet. D3 allows it. I think it is time for D2 to join the fray.

Happy farming and may RNgesus be kind to thee!
Give it time. It may take a few ladders for players to choose to learn how to play self found without elite rune words and other elite gear, but I suspect that players half my age will be crushing the hardcore ladder and dominating the top spots only equipped with Blues and Yellows. They'll be doing it for fun, but also demonstrating that they are the true legit elites of the ladder game. This game is so diverse, who really knows what will come out of it.
Just an update:

Players continually get upset when joining public games to get to the bump in drop rates. Additionally, said games are not guaranteed to maintain the player counts necessary to maintain a consistent drop rate across any particular running when trying to find loot.

Also, I must sadly report that I just nearly missed a Jah rune in a public Chaos run this morning. I'm not really upset by the miss; however, i'm sure others in the game would have liked to have looted that item.

By adding the /players function to bnet, you eliminate the need to intrude on others games to guarantee a buff in drop rate and you get your own loot. This change would bring a little modernization to the game.

Ultimately, I just want players to not feel shafted when players join games for looting purposes. In my experience, players simply make fun of you for trying to mf better odds and then leave reducing your run to a base drop rate run.

Could Blizzard please address this issue?
I think it's strange that Monster difficulty remains after players have left though I've never really determined whether item-drop count drops as a /players8 game. I don't believe it does.
I was unaware that Monster difficulty remained even after players have left. If the drop rates return to normal and the monster difficulty remains elevated...that is a complete rip-off and should be fixed asap by the classic team.

In my opinion, I just don't see a reason to not include the /players function on bnet in this day and age. It baffles me that there is resistance to the change.
01/14/2018 08:26 AMPosted by Roku761
I was unaware that Monster difficulty remained even after players have left. If the drop rates return to normal and the monster difficulty remains elevated...that is a complete rip-off and should be fixed asap by the classic team.

In my opinion, I just don't see a reason to not include the /players function on bnet in this day and age. It baffles me that there is resistance to the change.

Because that will make people only farm in privat games, alone, with no communication to outside world except trading
01/14/2018 09:41 AMPosted by Madi
01/14/2018 08:26 AMPosted by Roku761

Because that will make people only farm in privat games, alone, with no communication to outside world except trading

the same like now idiot cuz of shared drop and less ppl playing.
Update #2:

It seems Rngesus redeemed itself from yesterdays Jah rune debacle. Fresh Ber drop on run 30 today.

As to the last two posts...I can see how people would be concerned about solo farming. In most cases currently, this is the case already. There are public games going...but they are hit and miss.

Usually, there is a peak in play within the first 2-3 weeks of ladder...after that, it drops off significantly as more items flood the market and people revert to that forum place everyone keeps talking about.

I'm not sure what the solution is; however, what I and most of the community knows is that something else needs to change to get people doing their business in the D2 game rather that relying on outside shenanigans to make things go around.

In all honesty, I don't think Blizzard would mind a forum where you negotiate in game loot for loot trades. It's the monetary aspect that ruins what is going on over at you know where. I and many community members wish Blizzard could come up with something to permanently shut that place down....but I doubt anything gets done :/
It's fine as is. Play single player if you don't want to play with other people? Why add features that discourages multiplayer to a multiplayer service?
01/14/2018 01:53 PMPosted by katten
It's fine as is. Play single player if you don't want to play with other people? Why add features that discourages multiplayer to a multiplayer service?

Because there simply aren't enough multiplayer scenarios where you can get a consistent high player count and still keep all drops for your run. I see the other side though and understand why people feel like adding this feature would ruin the game.

The game is already hurting with player looking to outside sources for their trades. I can only speak to US East though. It's pretty difficult to trade anything unless it is a desirable HR.

The only reason I suggested adding /players to bnet is because it would bring consistency to legit farmers looking to work towards quality end game gear. If you are after the high end runes, then soloing on Players 4 is likely to bring you more rune drops per hour than on Players 1. In public games, it is virtually impossible to get a consistent Players 4 over the course of any run...most folks leave before you can finish.

That is all it's about. I digress.
Everyone waxes nostalgic about the good old days and the old economy.

If you weren't there or don't remember, pre lod economy was dominated by the soj. You traded sojs for whatever you wanted. For big trades you either traded multiple trade screens of sojs or traded the common dupes like soul spurs and the like. Lod brought hrs. Again it was the same thing over again like pre lod. Blizzard didn't seem to like the economy being based off those so they made cube recipes that use sojs and the dclone and then created a bunch of rune words to start depleting the hrs. Now with such a small player base and huge disparities between new comers and the long surviving players, in game trades still work but you need something of value just like before.

The benefit of an outside site to trade from is it allows players to come together and advertise what they have for trade or look for what they want. There isn't a good way to trade on the official forums anymore and the trade channels and more or less vacant. People seem to scoff at sites like the site that shall not be named but in reality it might be what is actually keeping people interested in an 18 year old game because of the ease of trade and information about the game. The third party currency is convenient for trading not just in d2 but let's say you quit d2 but wanted to start d3, you could trade your d2 stuff and then get d3 gear. It also does help new comers with being able to trade low end stuff to eventually get something like an enigma. Right now trading within the confines of d2 is extremely difficult due to the fact you need to trade for something at least the value of a hr. I'm not in any way saying third party sites are the end all answer or do I really support them but being honest I feel like they keep a good number of people interested in d2.

Bots ending is good thing but they will be back and if not already back in small numbers. Just like any exploits with d2, they will find another way to bypass the counter measures against them.

As for adding the /player feature, bravo. I don't see how that would cause any negative impact.

Everyone needs to remember, this game is old and blizzard has moved on. Except for maybe a remastered edition, nothing is really going to change until they decide to shut down the servers for good. You will get some bug fixes and exploit patches and bans but that is pretty much it. No new content, no new features, no new forums for trading or anything, no new items or skills or level cap increase, just nothing. Adapt or just be content that this is indeed basically the final and end product of d2.
01/14/2018 03:08 AMPosted by octotheist
I think it's strange that Monster difficulty remains after players have left though I've never really determined whether item-drop count drops as a /players8 game. I don't believe it does.

This is only true for monsters that you have activated (meaning entered into an area and they have become aggro'd by you) prior to players leaving.