General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
04/16/2018 01:24 AMPosted by Sexytime
Omrakus, ignored issues:
-Hacking tools not patched since 10 years
-No way of reporting hacker replays
-Worst maps ever created (LV maps)
-Website tournament details broken
-Cross realm ladder (easy and CHEAP with bot-host solution similar to w3a)
-Viable heroes over-buffed (ie: kotg, dreadlord, far seer)
-Actual overpowered aspects of the game ignored (ie: water elemental, brilliance aura, windwalk)

Classic game team only pays attention to suck-ups and sellouts like b2w and grubby, criticism is not allowed.
Classic game team should've been discontinued after the very first patch they pushed (the one after 1.27) where they broke all custom games, and added terrible maps to ladder, the patch was reverted and it was obvious they are clueless about wc3.

Blizzard, your reputation is at stake, we will all remember this, I for one will never buy a pack of virtual pixals in your r3tard cardgame :)

Best solution : revert to 1.28.5, never patch again, and employ the classic game team as community managers who review the hacker replays we send, their time will be much much much better spent

So true words, I couldn't say better myself. Amen.
Blizzard, this game needs:

- Fix ability to host AT so that anyone can do it without all the port fowarding.
- Allow ability to search AT while in channel so people can't /whois you and see when you are searching.
- Add back Lost Temple and Twisted Meadows to the 2v2 AT map pool.
- Allow selection of more than 12 units at a time.
- Display stats of person you face at start of the game (like W3Arena).
- Display team record of the team you are facing in AT on the loading screen.
- Searchtimes/matchmaking: people cannot find games. Fix this or everyone will just stay on W3Arena or Netease.
- Allow user to select their preferred zoom level between current standard and the original 1.29 PTR zoom.
- Cross-realm play / merged servers. You can at least merge West/East/Euro server into one. This alone might be enough to fix searchtimes with a larger player pool.
- In-game ability to report maphackers after a game. If someone gets enough reports linked to their CD-Key they get pushed to the top of a list for someone at Blizzard to review and ban as needed.
- Update the TOS such that Blizzard can scan active memory objects and search for known hacks and insta-ban upon detection. You could then just go to the well-known hacking sites and download/purchase existing hacks to learn their markers, then tailor your scan to find it. This is the easiest solution to solve hacking, but requires some ACTIVE management by Blizzard employees. Automated or extremely infrequent solutions are not acceptable.

Thanks
04/13/2018 08:14 PMPosted by Wotep
Drarak,

I am sorry you are seeing a lot of negative effects from the patch. In general, most players have been able to patch with little to no problems. It also seems like Blizzard is taking an active interest in fixing known issues. Please be patient with the rest of us.

It has been a hell of a ride.

Don't lie

Best solution : revert to 1.28.5, never patch again, and employ the classic game team as community managers who review the hacker replays we send, their time will be much much much better spent

I agree with this. They created a lot of issues, and they haven't bothered to do anything about it. They are what you call busy idiots, they work hard in the wrong places. It would be better if they spend their time banning cheaters. You know, that's something that would actually improve this game.
I can't stand this !@#$ed up resolution and aspect ratio. Almost all monitors are widescreen and most of us can just use a nice big TV instead.

I can play an abandonware Dune 2000 on widescreen and modern resolutions because of 1 man knowing what he was doing.

Warcraft 3 has a team working on it for ages and nothing noteworthy has been done yet. This patch is worse than what it was before.
04/16/2018 10:08 AMPosted by jackzilla
I can't stand this !@#$ed up resolution and aspect ratio. Almost all monitors are widescreen and most of us can just use a nice big TV instead.

I can play an abandonware Dune 2000 on widescreen and modern resolutions because of 1 man knowing what he was doing.

Warcraft 3 has a team working on it for ages and nothing noteworthy has been done yet. This patch is worse than what it was before.

Agreed...it's literally unplayable for me with this resolution and aspect ratio
-Hacking tools not patched since 10 years
So what is your solution to this? How did you deal with hacking tools in your games in the past?
-No way of reporting hacker replays
How did your games create a frame work to deal with this? How were the moderators paid?
-Cross realm ladder (easy and CHEAP with bot-host solution similar to w3a)
Not possible due to latency. Same reason Heroes of the Storm Ranked is not cross region.
04/16/2018 07:17 AMPosted by KingThrawn
- Cross-realm play / merged servers. You can at least merge West/East/Euro server into one. This alone might be enough to fix searchtimes with a larger player pool.
Not possible due to latency and ID collisions. Modern Blizzard games are still separated into US and EU for this reason and when they merged AU into US there were some problems.
- In-game ability to report maphackers after a game. If someone gets enough reports linked to their CD-Key they get pushed to the top of a list for someone at Blizzard to review and ban as needed.
They having enough problems with such systems in Heroes of the Storm, a game in active development, let alone a game which literally has a shoe string maintenance budget.
- Update the TOS such that Blizzard can scan active memory objects and search for known hacks and insta-ban upon detection. You could then just go to the well-known hacking sites and download/purchase existing hacks to learn their markers, then tailor your scan to find it. This is the easiest solution to solve hacking, but requires some ACTIVE management by Blizzard employees. Automated or extremely infrequent solutions are not acceptable.
Would mean hacks become even harder to detect. The reason ban waves must be used is to limit the evolution cycle of hacks to keep them detectable. With immediate feedback hack developers could go through 6 or more revisions a day, instead of a month. This is why ban waves are standard in the industry.

Let us not forget that such ToS might violate EU laws so be illegal to implement in the first place.
04/16/2018 10:08 AMPosted by jackzilla
I can play an abandonware Dune 2000 on widescreen and modern resolutions because of 1 man knowing what he was doing.Warcraft 3 has a team working on it for ages and nothing noteworthy has been done yet. This patch is worse than what it was before.
You can also play Simutrans in full 1080p as it uses a similar graphic system to Dune. It is easy to change resolution when everything is entirely software driven.

Warcraft III is hardware accelerated. Worse, it is hardware accelerated with deprecated and unsupported APIs. One cannot even run the D3D development tools needed on modern OSes the APIs are that old. Getting it to work well is extremely hard.
04/16/2018 11:52 AMPosted by radiaNce
Agreed...it's literally unplayable for me with this resolution and aspect ratio
The resolution is the same as before... Same number of pixels.
04/13/2018 03:07 PMPosted by Drarak
Coming back to WC3, I am shocked to see that the game has been completely messed up by the developers. Theres now black bars, the HUD has weird grey boxes, the image gives you tunnel vision and the chat has become tiny and the text is hard to read. I did not ask for any of this.

This is a disastrous change that completely breaks the game and I cannot imagine that a lot of people have been requesting this. What we have been requesting is banning maphackers and fixing wait times, but they gave us this garbage instead.

Please, stop working on the game if you are just going to mess it up. Also, why did you remove the fixed aspect ratio checkbox? This was one of the most important settings in the game and you just take it out without asking first? Are you guys serious? Give it back to us again.

Its kind of hard to explain this without pictures. You are incorrectly assuming they broke the game. Understand that when wc3 came out, there was no black bars on the side. That's because all computer monitors were 4:3. (Square shaped). Eventually, widescreen monitor's started making there way into homes. 16:9 (rectangle). So if you wanted to play warcraft 3 on the new widescreen monitor, you had to suffer the black bars on the sides, because the game wasn't intended to account for the extra screen space. Then the game was updated to allow it to stretch to the edges as an option. People were mixed on the reaction. In fact, many people choose to still play 4:3 with black bars because the stretched view seemed warped to them. For instance the circles under your units looked less like circles and more like sideways oval's. That is the state the game has been in for the last decade. Now we finally get what we really wanted. True widescreen support. Meaning the oval's turned back into circles. Also you can now see more of the battlefield. The downside is that people have to retrain muscle memory, since they had 10 years getting used to the warped image. Another downside is the 'main menu' screen has ugly black bars on the side before you launch into a match. Anyway, it looks like you will get your option back (fixed aspect). Just know that you will be at a slight disadvantage in competitive play because the un-stretched widescreen users will see more of the battlefield, while the stretched widescreen user's will probably have an easier time with micro, due to unit's being larger.
DrSupergood,

Thats absolutely not true that they could not merge the servers and still provide a good latency experience. Just go look at W3Arena and how it handles (or used to handle) hosting through localized bots to provide a BETTER latency experience for both players than they would get through a centralized server.

Also, I understand what you are saying about ban waves. I should re-phrase my suggestion. Scan active memory and instantly LOG the person to be banned in a future wave. A ban wave every month that requires people to repurchase a new cd-key will put a stop to hacking pretty quick. Blizzard could also infiltrate hacking websites to download all new public hacks or purchase private ones to effectively start logging people on a "day zero" basis.

Its a valid point that EU law may present a challenge, but its not impossible. I'll let the lawyers figure that out. There has to be a way, via user consent in the TOS, to allow a program to do this. You think Microsoft or anti-virus programs don't scan your active memory? Of course they do, and they all require user consent.

As for the in-game hacker reporting feature, this could very easily be automated to bring abnormally high % reported players to the top of a list. This list could just be checked once a week. If someone plays 100 games and has 45 reports, thats pretty freaking obvious that he needs to be looked into. Obviously there will be thousands of reports just out of spite for losing the game, but it will be spread pretty evenly across everyone who plays. Nothing that will stand out to a sorting algorithm.

Think outside the box, bub. Plenty of solutions to these problems.
04/16/2018 05:37 PMPosted by DrSuperGood
The resolution is the same as before... Same number of pixels.

My apologies. I simply meant that the lack of an aspect ratio option has made the game unplayable for me and several others.
I've played this game for years even on widescreen monitors with 1080p resolutions and while it may not have been displaying it natively, it would automatic fill up the entire screen and even show the 1080p resolution in the settings menu, now again i'm sure this is a stretch, but i liked it that way, and i had ZERO ISSUES with the graphics how they were with it, the game just worked, that's that. This change has broken thousands of maps, the custom community is now pretty much dead. You cannot expect map creators from years ago to come back and fix something in a game this old. Oh well. I would love native widescreen WITHOUT BLACK BARS.
and i see this IN GAME, but not in menu's. I don't understand why you would do one without the other.
04/16/2018 05:48 PMPosted by Sexytime
Cross realm bot-host solution is exactly designed to offer good ping worldwide.. :D
Not possible due to physical limitations. From EU to Australia will always be ~200ms or more due to the large distances involved. Light is fast but not that fast.
04/17/2018 08:30 AMPosted by KingThrawn
Also, I understand what you are saying about ban waves. I should re-phrase my suggestion. Scan active memory and instantly LOG the person to be banned in a future wave
This is what they do, or at least did. Warden did exactly that. All modern Blizzard games are protected with that as well. If the data it relays to Blizzard shows a cheat program you are flagged and banned next wave.

If warden is inactive then hopefully they will incoperate some of their modern anti-hack from games like StarCraft II and Overwatch.
A ban wave every month that requires people to repurchase a new cd-key will put a stop to hacking pretty quick.
That is also part of the problem because cd-keys for Warcraft III are very cheap. It is not like they must rebuy a high end game like Overwatch, or re-earn unlocks like in Heroes of the Storm. They can literally spend <5$ for both keys and be back again to cheat.
Blizzard could also infiltrate hacking websites to download all new public hacks or purchase private ones to effectively start logging people on a "day zero" basis.
Again, this needs people to perform. Until Warcraft III is back in a shape it could generate some new revenue it is unlikely they can justify the allocation of such resources to the managers. This is why proper wide screen support, melee balance and such is important, as that is required to run tournaments.
You think Microsoft or anti-virus programs don't scan your active memory? Of course they do, and they all require user consent.
It is a lot more complex than that to detect hacks. It will detect some, but true hackers will always find a more convoluted or insane way to skip such checks. For example how can they detect if the game is run in a virtual machine that has its memory pages modified outside the virtual machine. Many people run games in virtual machines because they use Linux or Mac OS or modern Windows which do not natively support them so one cannot call all virtual machine users hackers.
As for the in-game hacker reporting feature, this could very easily be automated to bring abnormally high % reported players to the top of a list. This list could just be checked once a week. If someone plays 100 games and has 45 reports, thats pretty freaking obvious that he needs to be looked into. Obviously there will be thousands of reports just out of spite for losing the game, but it will be spread pretty evenly across everyone who plays. Nothing that will stand out to a sorting algorithm.
In the end of the day someone has to manually investigate. And this requires frameworks such as in Heroes of the Storm with replay logging and such. I would not be surprised if WC3 gets here eventually but it is still a long way off feature wise.
04/18/2018 05:44 PMPosted by Gibson295
the custom community is now pretty much dead
Hive Workshop sees hundreds of map development posts a week. Custom map making is far from dead.
You cannot expect map creators from years ago to come back and fix something in a game this old.
Their fault for using "map protection" preventing people from fixing their maps after they were gone. Next time they should be less short sighted.
I would love native widescreen WITHOUT BLACK BARS.and i see this IN GAME, but not in menu's. I don't understand why you would do one without the other.
The game only has black bars in the menus and loading screens. This is because the menu composition has not yet been updated to support wide screen layouts and loading screen images were specifically designed for 4:3. In game one gets full wide screen, although the UI is still in a 4:3 layout for now.

In any case they are going to add back the fixed aspect ratio option for people who like it for some reason.
Not possible due to physical limitations. From EU to Australia will always be ~200ms or more due to the large distances involved. Light is fast but not that fast.
04/17/2018 08:30 AM

The majority of the player-base is EU/NA. Oceanic players have much better ping now anyway, better than W3a, so it's completely fine and logical to merge the servers actually.
And this is coming from someone who lives in Singapore.
It is a lot more complex than that to detect hacks. It will detect some, but true hackers will always find a more convoluted or insane way to skip such checks. For example how can they detect if the game is run in a virtual machine that has its memory pages modified outside the virtual machine. Many people run games in virtual machines because they use Linux or Mac OS or modern Windows which do not natively support them so one cannot call all virtual machine users hackers.

DrSuperGood,

While your statement here is absolutely true, the number of map hackers with enough intelligence to run their game within a virtual machine is extremely small.

Anything that makes it harder to stop the mass proliferation of maphack throughout the server is a good thing. You will never be able to stop all hacks, but something that kneecaps 75% of them is a good start.
The new patches seemed to have messed up some things in the game. I hope they solve it.
"Not possible due to latency and ID collisions."

Jesus christ, you just restart everyone's account and start fresh again.