Diablo 1 Servers Down

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
Message Intended for the Blizzard Crew.

I come here on the behalf of Tristr.am (One of the last Diablo 1 Bastion/Forum) and the still standing Diablo 1 Community that have been playing this classic game for decades now.

For the last year or so, we have seen the Battle.net Experience become more and more complicated. The latency was terrible for dueling, we needed to open ports to play together and the average 'Ping' was extremely bad. Nevertheless, we always found ways to play our favorite game and tweak it so it functions properly on modern machines. Despite what many people say, the Diablo 1 Community is still alive, organizing PvP Events, Hell Runs and Iron Man Challenges or inventing new ways to play this amazing game. We even have our own discord server to complement tristr.am!

That was, until recently. Now, when you try to log to Battle.net, it says that there is a connectivity issue and you can no longer join or create games. We all know that the Diablo 1996 Servers are running 'as is' but for our community, this means that the Battle.net experience is reduced to IPX or Hamachi.

Considering how Warcraft 3 just received a Patch and Starcraft got Remastered, we politely allow ourselves to ask that someone at Blizzard listens to his long-standing Diablo 1996 Fans and at the very least, find a way to restore the server so we can keep on playing the game. If Blizzard, truly cares about his supporters and dedicated players and if we are able to play the game even on modern machines and tweak it for playable purposes, we do not see why Blizzard employees could not do the same and fix the servers.

For most of us, Diablo is not only a fun and rewarding gaming experience, it is also something associated with childhood and nostalgia.

Here is a small petition of names, of people that are still religiously playing this game and are hopeful that you will take actions to fix the current situation:

[player info removed]

Final note: It is also important to note that I had a conversation with a very kind Blizzard operative that encouraged us to make this thread on the forum. His name was 'Game Master xxxxx'.

In the name of all the Diablo 1996 players, we hope that our plea will be heard.

-Tristram, loyal diablo player since the age of 6.
GraveStench,

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/11674517608

"Petition posts are frowned on
This is a discussion forum. Petition threads do not contain much discussion, instead a petition is usually page after page of /signed. It isn’t constructive. If you have an issue with the game, please discuss it in a civil fashion. There are other places on the Internet to form online petitions."
I just re-posted the same thread without the word petition, so it is a CONVERSATION but you keep on deleting it anyway as if we are living in some sort of totalitarian state or something.

There is absolutely a constructive discussion that can be extracted out of this post but it seems you want to avoid it simply because we integrated the names of loyal players in there, so what should I do for this post to stop being deleted?
GraveStench,

This edited thread is fine as-is now with player info removed. The threads were actually being removed by our forum software though as they were seen as spam.
Understood, thank you very much.

Feel free to update us on the current issue with Diablo 1996.

I wish you a good day.
Lol why I’m glad I play my Playstation 1 ver on my ps3 bc pc ver is trash Have fun fighting that losing battle guy
Thanks for the information. The team will try and investigate when we have a free moment.

Classic Games
Thanks for the information. The team will try and investigate when we have a free moment.

Classic Games

Thank you! We are eagerly waiting for news.
I think a custom server for Trist.am would be more appropriate. You could make a far better server with real ladder and other various features that could even natively support Diablo Hellfire. Blizz's server technically works with Hellfire, but it's not great support. No icons or information indicate if a player is using Hellfire or not. Pretty sure a custom server could show this information (I mean, a Blizzard server could too -- but I doubt they'd do it). The game doesn't inform you that there's a version mismatch (For instance between Vanilla and Hellfire users) thus games can crash. Hellfire characters don't show up properly between Hellfire users in the UI iirc.

That is all stuff that could potentially be addressed by a custom server, as I doubt Classic Team would want to move so many resources to making these changes for such a small playerbase.
05/03/2018 12:03 PMPosted by Templarfreak
I think a custom server for Trist.am would be more appropriate. You could make a far better server with real ladder and other various features that could even natively support Diablo Hellfire. Blizz's server technically works with Hellfire, but it's not great support. No icons or information indicate if a player is using Hellfire or not. Pretty sure a custom server could show this information (I mean, a Blizzard server could too -- but I doubt they'd do it). The game doesn't inform you that there's a version mismatch (For instance between Vanilla and Hellfire users) thus games can crash. Hellfire characters don't show up properly between Hellfire users in the UI iirc.

That is all stuff that could potentially be addressed by a custom server, as I doubt Classic Team would want to move so many resources to making these changes for such a small playerbase.

well are you willing to make such a server? we will more than welcome it :)
Agreed Templarfreak but finding a person willing to create such a server is the real issue, we thought about it many times and some people are willing to donate for it. If Blizzard can't help us at all, then this is what we might have to do.
05/03/2018 12:06 PMPosted by Qndel
well are you willing to make such a server? we will more than welcome it :)

I don't have the resources or technical know-how to implement such features or create a reliable server.

If there isn't too many people, a simple ~$1k (maybe even less) server computer should be more than sufficient for the job on basic home internet as long as you got pretty above average speed, like ~50 down, 50 up. It might be prudent to get a separate internet line for it, though. Yeah, that's a lot of money and a decent investment, but it's definitlely doable. Certainly not a particularly expensive hobby at the end of the day.
Blizzard is so good at giving it's customers the middle finger politely. I love it :D
05/03/2018 03:31 PMPosted by ZestyMordant
Blizzard is so good at giving it's customers the middle finger politely. I love it :D

Everything you've ever seen was just a mirror.
05/03/2018 03:53 PMPosted by Wotep
05/03/2018 03:31 PMPosted by ZestyMordant

No greater truth.

I hope you guys are wrong!
I've seen this topic from a fansite, I support completely the idea.

D1 didn't have a patch in years contrary to D2, SC1, War3 etc. D1 became barely playable on Windows 10 where it crashes very often.

I think a patch that would just provide stability on Windows 10 would already be a big improvement and would be very welcome.
I've seen this topic from a fansite, I support completely the idea.

D1 didn't have a patch in years contrary to D2, SC1, War3 etc. D1 became barely playable on Windows 10 where it crashes very often.

I think a patch that would just provide stability on Windows 10 would already be a big improvement and would be very welcome.

Thank you for your support. We do not ask for a patch, but at the very least, we just want the servers and Battle.net to be operational. If Blizzard can fix some issues, that would indeed be totally awesome.
God. Is the classic team messing up Diablo 1 now as well?

It really can't be worst than it is at the moment. The Latency is horrible, players can't host games unless a miracle happens, upon entering Battle.net, you get relocated to the 'Void' and now the servers are just plain dead.

We just hope that the game will be restored to a playable state. The player-base is not immense or comparable to other classic games but there are still very dedicated players playing daily and hosting events.