[War3] PTR Matchmaker Updated

General Discussion
Greetings Scouts, Tinkerers, Harbingers, and Wardens,

In the ongoing effort to improve your online experience we've updated the matchmaker logic for melee. The intent is to lower queue times, but associated risk comes in the form of potentially more adept opponents. GL; HF.

We hope to have this iteration live Soon™.

Cheers,
Classic
Mother of God.

We do create our reality and this is proof.
05/08/2018 05:10 PMPosted by Pete Stilwell
Greetings Scouts, Tinkerers, Harbingers, and Wardens,

In the ongoing effort to improve your online experience we've updated the matchmaker logic for melee. The intent is to lower queue times, but associated risk comes in the form of potentially more adept opponents. GL; HF.

We hope to have this iteration live Soon™.

Cheers,
Classic

Could you guys share the code or ideas you have put in order to fix the matchmaker so that as a community we get to see and share opinions about the system?
POGGERS

Any chance we can get some explanation on what changed exactly? Bigger match range? Match range increases every x seconds by z amoun?
Hopefully this will be in the right step so players will no longer have to "Loss Bot"(leave or AFK games mass games) in order to find games!
Run them algorithms on the PTR ! get to the bottom of that new MMR
yeaaa!!
Also want to put emphasis on these points, but they are secondary to fixing search times ASAP.

- Is there going to be a min/max experience gain/loss? If I'm the highest MMR and match someone significantly low and lose to them, I don't exactly want to lose an entire level worth of experience just because I met a smurf. Pretty sure this happened in previous iterations of the matchmaker

- Decay is ridiculous right now. You need 1 game played per week for every 3 levels. Considering lvl30+ is quite easily obtainable by anyone, that's 10 games per week, more than some may be able to commit to. Only gets worse as you level higher than that. I don't see why high level players need to play that much per week. Should be play 2 games per 2 weeks or lose a level or something amongst those lines.

- I think it would be really nice if leveling was faster. Right now the system intends for top players to be lvl50+ and average players to be lvl30, but it takes literally hundred of games to get there (took me 700 to reach lvl50 RT with 65% win back in the day). AT gets a huge boost to leveling speed, I think it'd be great if solo/RT got such a boost as well so good players can differentiate themselves early in a reset and not months later. Look at the ladder, the only criteria to be #1 is the amount of wins right now, your win ratio is irrelevant until the higher levels.
Amazing! This is so good. Like to me this has always been number 1 priority because if you can't find a game any other change is meaningless. well done!
05/08/2018 07:38 PMPosted by Drayen
Also want to put emphasis on these points, but they are secondary to fixing search times ASAP.

- Is there going to be a min/max experience gain/loss? If I'm the highest MMR and match someone significantly low and lose to them, I don't exactly want to lose an entire level worth of experience just because I met a smurf. Pretty sure this happened in previous iterations of the matchmaker

Higher level higher risk, im ok with this.

- Decay is ridiculous right now. You need 1 game played per week for every 3 levels. Considering lvl30+ is quite easily obtainable by anyone, that's 10 games per week, more than some may be able to commit to. Only gets worse as you level higher than that. I don't see why high level players need to play that much per week. Should be play 2 games per 2 weeks or lose a level or something amongst those lines.

Is this actually a concern, if matchmaking is fixed?

- I think it would be really nice if leveling was faster. Right now the system intends for top players to be lvl50+ and average players to be lvl30, but it takes literally hundred of games to get there (took me 700 to reach lvl50 RT with 65% win back in the day). AT gets a huge boost to leveling speed, I think it'd be great if solo/RT got such a boost as well so good players can differentiate themselves early in a reset and not months later. Look at the ladder, the only criteria to be #1 is the amount of wins right now, your win ratio is irrelevant until the higher levels.

At this point in the game I like the idea of legacy accounts. That is substantially developed main accounts. To me at this juncture in warcrafts history I much prefer it to a collection of smurfs with nice win/loss ratios.
05/08/2018 08:29 PMPosted by SixPaths
Higher level higher risk, im ok with this.

If it's really wide, you might reach a point where it takes 40 wins to gain a level instead of 10, and losing one game makes you lose an entire level, that's just dumb.

Is this actually a concern, if matchmaking is fixed?

Do you really think having to play 10 to 15 games per week is a normal requirement? Note that if you don't play 10 games at lvl30, the level where average players end, you lose literally 2 levels

At this point in the game I like the idea of legacy accounts. That is substantially developed main accounts. To me at this juncture in warcrafts history I much prefer it to a collection of smurfs with nice win/loss ratios.

Not sure what that has to do with what you quoted? I prefer people playing on one account than smurfing endlessly myself too though. I just think it's dumb that i had to play 700 games to reach the level that's meant to represent the highest MMR possible with 65% win, when it's theoricaly reachable with 50% win. Prob would've taken me 1000 games if I was 50%... Most regular people can't play that in a year, I consider myself pretty hardcore and I can't either.

Nothing stops you from keeping to play on the same account when you reach your maximum potential level. There is always the possibility of getting better and reaching even higher levels.
05/08/2018 09:14 PMPosted by shak
Release this on servers please , no one play on the PTR ! ahah

Next step : Protect yours maps from maphack ( hackers gonna downvote as always lol)
Also, is it possible to lessen the "dont match the same player twice in a row" protection for random team? Not being able to match 7 other players after a 4v4 rt is quite harsh. Perhaps remove the protection after 15 minutes? Same with other gametypes.
Also Blizzard, can you add Drayen to your classic team as a fulltime employe ? looks like he knows this game better than anyone.
05/08/2018 09:52 PMPosted by Drayen
Also, is it possible to lessen the "dont match the same player twice in a row" protection for random team? Not being able to match 7 other players after a 4v4 rt is quite harsh. Perhaps remove the protection after 15 minutes? Same with other gametypes.

I don't think this needs to be there at all for any game mode.
Please reduce the can't find the same people/person twice in a row to 10 minutes. So if my opponent is drayen in 4v4 , he can possibly be in my team in the next game.
oh my goodness!!

If the algorithms are right like people are mentioning. This could be the greatest change we've ever needed to make laddering competitive again.

Thanks blizz! one by one all the check points are being ticked off to returning this game back to its glory and beyond.

Mh fix next, cross realm if its possible (also can port forwarding please be fixed like sc2? many of us can't host because of routers and no static ip) and remaster please!
hey Blizzard!)
i have 20-6 4v4 rt stat and waiste arround 6 hours for search a singe game, also i am top 1 rank ffa and waiste arround 2 hours for search a single game. pls fix matchmaking system for ffa too

and how about add FFA tour system? for final round we can use timer 1.30 hour for every game
we love FFA!
Cool, now I can finally start playing the game :D without waiting hours to find a game.