[War3] PTR Matchmaker Updated

General Discussion
10 years later you finally did a useful change
05/08/2018 10:22 PMPosted by shak
Also Blizzard, can you add Drayen to your classic team as a fulltime employe ? looks like he knows this game better than anyone.

Haha, I wish, I don't live in california though. Would be the dream job though I feel :P
Release it to Live servers so we can actually try it!
Thank you Pete.

Please fix the hackers, they make the game unplayable.

Thanks.
Great news!! especially for ROC
the biggest problem is in FFA
Friends,

The original logic was matching players across 160 buckets. We lowered it to 40, hence the risk of encountering boss level opponents. We can tweak that number over time.

This is definitely a temporary fix. We will get to a more robust overhaul of the matchmaker. As many of you have requested, our next priority target is anticheat. We hope to have that on PTR in June. The team appreciates your support and feedback.

Cheers,
Pete
05/09/2018 09:15 AMPosted by Pete Stilwell
Friends,

The original logic was matching players across 160 buckets. We lowered it to 40, hence the risk of encountering boss level opponents. We can tweak that number over time.

This is definitely a temporary fix. We will get to a more robust overhaul of the matchmaker. As many of you have requested, our next priority target is anticheat. We hope to have that on PTR in June. The team appreciates your support and feedback.

Cheers,
Pete

Thank you for clarifying this, when can we expect to see the matchmaking live?
Friends,

Cheers,
Pete

Pete, let us test it on live servers, using our current ladder accounts.
Friends,

Cheers,
Pete

Thanks for the update, Pete. Any chance you can discuss the change to remove LT and TM from the 2v2 AT map pool? Any plans to reverse that change? 90% of the feedback that I've compiled is in favor of adding both maps back to the map pool.

Thanks again for all your hard work.
Would also like to test this on the live servers since you can't really test this as a player on the PTR.
We can't test our current ELL's on PTR.
Nice guys, hopefully this increases people playing melee
- Significantly reduce or remove all together ELO/MMR in FFA, it's not needed in this game-type. It should be whoever is searching finds, no matter rank or stats.

- Allow players to find each other after 15 minutes instead of 24 hours
05/09/2018 10:16 AMPosted by SoUR
- Significantly reduce or remove all together ELO/MMR in FFA, it's not needed in this game-type. It should be whoever is searching finds, no matter rank or stats.

What he just mentioned is super needed! FFA ''died'' in East cause of 0 chance of finding a game, even with people searching it.

Also, let us find the same people after a short break, like 5/10 minutes (At least for 4vs4 RT)

yesyesyes
05/09/2018 12:10 PMPosted by Gradient

yesyesyes

one more problem in FFA. like 40 hours later I will find the game. everyone knows me and destroys 2/1 3/1.

+1 as well.
Hello!

Although I don't see how big is this change right now, my concern is that the shorter search times will come at the cost of highly mismatched opponents.

Also I may be wrong, but I see the problem like this:

A. There aren't enough high level players
B. Searchtimes are long for high level players
C. High level players create new accounts and start from 0 again

A -> B -> C -> A -> .....

This is a never ending cycle.

I think instead of lowering match-making requirements we need a ranking system that classifies players by skill very fast. (Say, players reach their 'real' ELO score the first 10 games they play)
Such ranking system would be volatile in the first few matches, but slow down afterwards.

Furthermore I don't know how accurate the current ranking system is, because the ELO or ELL scores are hidden from us. Perhaps making them public would be a good thing. (or even replace the old leveling system with the 'real' ELL scores)

Clearly it is not easy to decide which steps to make, but I'm willing to try out the changes and give feedback after the next update.

There is also the problem of dead ladders, such as 3vs3 and FFA, which may need special treatment.
Thank you so much Blizzard! I really mean it! GRACIAS!