Warcraft 3 aspect ratio

General Discussion
its broken now. did it on purpose? acknowledgement? send help?
05/10/2018 04:31 AMPosted by WarLorD
its broken now.
Please explain in what way aspect ratio appears broken. From personal tests I have not noticed anything broken about it. If anything the aspect ratio is now finally correct for wide screen displays.
05/10/2018 01:30 PMPosted by Drarak
Literally the whole community has been asking them to fix it
Only a vocal minority have been asking for it. There is no evidence that even most of the community was asking for a reversion, let alone the entire community.
05/10/2018 01:30 PMPosted by Drarak
Black bars and compressed graphics isn't the same as widescreen.
Actually they are. The black bars are needed to keep aspect ratio correct where wide screen is not supported. The graphics are not compressed, since that is actually the correct aspect ratio for them, the same as they were designed for and how they have always looked on 4:3.
Pretty sure 'a vocal minority' signifies that there is an issue that more than one person is experiencing.
Maybe addressing this issue would be a good idea so that everyone who could play with no problems prepatch can continue to play. Nobody actually cares about widescreen people just want to be able to play on any screen without glitching.
If Mr. Supergood is really Pete Stillwell I am lmfao here because that totally explains the incorrect, useless, and defensive replies this guy gives all over the forum.
Like seriously, I'm not even having this issue but can you just help this guy out seeing as his problem isn't isolated to his OS alone? Even if it's only 'a vocal minority' shouldn't blizzard try to help fix the problem they created in the first place which is causing this minority to be vocal? Am I to understand then that Blizzard will only help fix issues with WC3 that affect 51% or more of their player base? Pretty sure only a vocal minority was using the PTR yet you still instituted the changes without considering they may cause a lot more problems than they fix.
-nativefullscr to go back to the old video mode

Some may have to set their monitor aspect to 16:9 when in -nativefullscr mode
According to Dr. SuperGood a vocal majority prefer black bars on the side of their screen. Or if you're using a laptop, I know personally mine just flat out crashes, not sure for anyone else. I DO know that most people use a 24" or similar size standard monitor like mine to game, so they are receiving random black bars. That isn't a "vocal minority". By the way, it's worked on both monitors and anything else I'd use for 16 years. Oh, and to the poster above, no nativefullscreen and changing your resolution or scaling doesn't change anything. I've tried every possible thing and it hasn't removed them.

With that said, it's kind of sad really. You just know that Blizzard isn't answering threads like this because well, it's just plain embarassing. And I understand. They haven't or don't know how to fix this issue with aspect ratio they caused, so there isn't much they can say. Granted, they COULD take responsibility and address it in that manor, but screw that!!! I just find it funny, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only real mention of it has been oh 'there is black bars because we intend to add things later on,' as if it's some type of unfinished back splash on your house. It's a literally a computer game, lmao.

Like I said in a previous thread, the most obvious and intelligent way to correct this would be to revert back to 1.27 or 1.28. Add in the mana bars, latency delay, and matchmaking fix. Afterwards, continue using the PTR version players as guinea pigs to test and practice your programming, NOT the live version as the guinea pigs.. IDK if the Pete guy or whoever are just to prideful to admit that using the live version as a public test realm this quickly was a terrible decision or what, but please get over it, so the game can be as good as it once was again.
05/10/2018 03:48 PMPosted by zzz
According to Dr. SuperGood a vocal majority prefer black bars on the side of their screen.
Nowhere did I say the majority of players are vocal, or that they prefer black bars. Just they do not care about the changes and certainly do not care enough to spam the forums about how they do not care.
I DO know that most people use a 24" or similar size standard monitor like mine to game, so they are receiving random black bars.
Please screenshot, video or photograph these random black bars. There should be no random black bars.

The only black bars one should receive when playing Warcraft III on a wide screen format are pillar boxes to the sides. These should only be present in the main menu and loading screens. In game should have no pillar boxes.
Oh, and to the poster above, no nativefullscreen and changing your resolution or scaling doesn't change anything. I've tried every possible thing and it hasn't removed them.
Depends on GPU. Any reasonable vendor like NVidia allows one to alter display scaling logic. Using this one can render Warcraft III in a 4:3 resolution and then force it to stretch to cover the entire display area. The results are ugly, which is why aspect ratio correct wide screen was added in the first place.
And I understand. They haven't or don't know how to fix this issue with aspect ratio they caused
What issue? With exception of a few layout and hitbox alignment problems Warcraft III maintains correct aspect ratio in all resolutions now...
but I believe the only real mention of it has been oh 'there is black bars because we intend to add things later on,' as if it's some type of unfinished back splash on your house. It's a literally a computer game, lmao.
The reason pillar boxes are needed is because Warcraft III menu and load screen content only supports a 4:3 camera. Where as in game the camera is adjusted for the display aspect ratio, this cannot happen on the menus and load screen without potentially causing visual artefacts.

In other words it is the same reason why a 4:3 television series must be viewed with pillar boxes on a modern 16:9 TV. The sides of the image are missing. The other approach used by some broadcasters is to cut the top and bottom overscan area off, but that does not work with games like Warcraft III which have no overscan area.
Like I said in a previous thread, the most obvious and intelligent way to correct this would be to revert back to 1.27 or 1.28.
They cannot do that because so many custom map makers now depend on 1.29 features.

It is worth noting that Blizzard is hiring a professional UI designer for the legacy team. If you think you can do a good job at it, I recommend applying.
05/10/2018 09:34 PMPosted by DrSuperGood
They cannot do that because so many custom map makers now depend on 1.29 features.

What about thousands of other maps made in 15 years before 1.29, you ignorant retard?
05/10/2018 09:34 PMPosted by DrSuperGood
It is worth noting that Blizzard is hiring a professional UI designer for the legacy team. If you think you can do a good job at it, I recommend applying.

Translation: noobish developers have ruined UI and aspect ratio and now looking for someone to help them fix it.

Another proof how Blizzard "care" about our game - WoW, Blizzard DotA and Turdstone get the best professional developers and WC3 gets random hired noobs. I have never seen anything good from Blizzard since they sold their așs to Activision and now they ruin old Classic titles too.

I suggest the non-autistic users of this forum to find themselves some private server with 1.26a such as W3Arena and play there, because BNet will only become worse with every new patch.
Nowhere did I say the majority of players are vocal, or that they prefer black bars. Just they do not care about the changes and certainly do not care enough to spam the forums about how they do not care.

Please screenshot, video or photograph these random black bars. There should be no random black bars.

The only black bars one should receive when playing Warcraft III on a wide screen formatare are pillar boxes to the sides. These should only be present in the main menu and loading screens. In game should have no pillar boxes.

Depends on GPU. Any reasonable vendor like NVidia allows one to alter display scaling logic. Using this one can render Warcraft III in a 4:3 resolution and then force it to stretch to cover the entire display area. The results are ugly, which is why aspect ratio correct wide screen was added in the first place.

What issue? With exception of a few layout and hitbox alignment problems Warcraft III maintains correct aspect ratio in all resolutions now...

The reason pillar boxes are needed is because Warcraft III menu and load screen content only supports a 4:3 camera. Where as in game the camera is adjusted for the display aspect ratio, this cannot happen on the menus and load screen without potentially causing visual artefacts.

In other words it is the same reason why a 4:3 television series must be viewed with pillar boxes on a modern 16:9 TV. The sides of the image are missing. The other approach used by some broadcasters is to cut the top and bottom overscan area off, but that does not work with games like Warcraft III which have no overscan area.

Oh, I know it doesn't affect game play. This is why I wouldn't consider it a game breaking issue, nor did I, and likely why you don't see more people complaining about it. It is just one of those mildly inconvenient things that happened to "appear" like lack of item collision, text strings screwing up, etc. so it gets grouped together in debate of Blizzard's incompetence.

I am not an expert in resolution or graphics, although I did know how to render my screen to stretch, but obviously like you said that makes the game very highly unenjoyable as it appears like a blown up picture. The main issue was the lack of addressing the two bars and how it is making the game look quite bush-league and just plain silly.

You may be very well be entirely right as to the reasoning for this occurring. With that said, I think it's safe to say that this should be fixable. I feel as though there should be ways to display the menu and channel screens properly without two black boxes, such as many other games have done in the past. Most importantly, the big question that should be asked is, if it isn't/wasn't fixable, then why add it in the first place? If you can't perfect widescreen, it was never a big issue for 16 years to have it, nor did I ever see it requested, so why experiment with it? That is unprofessional. I'm pretty sure none of this was done with Starcraft.

Also, the patch point is moot. They change the patch versions very often and ruin custom maps, forcing them to have to adapt every single time. Note, this has been happening for ages, since the beginning of Warcraft 3. It isn't a new occurrence, although it has become more frequent and significant now.
I don't see this a broken or an issue. Although I understand why people may think so. This game released when all we had was 4:3 (square) monitor's. Then widescreen monitor's started getting popular - 16:9 (rectangle). At the time, the game didn't stretch on widescreen. So everyone with a widescreen had 2 black bar's on the side's. Both in the menu and in the game. Later the "fix aspect ratio" was added. It stretched the screen to the edges. This gave the game a warped look . For instance the circles under your unit's were sideway's oval's instead of circle's.
It stayed this way for a decade, causing people to get used to the warped view. This wasn't true widescreen.

Now the game isn't stretched anymore. (Oval's back to circle's). Now it is true widescreen, meaning you can actually see more of the battlefield in game. The command bar on the bottom has 2 pillar's on the side to keep that menu looking authentic (square minimap instead of rectangle minimap) In order to pull it off, the start menu screen had to have 2 black bar's. Causing people to think the game is broken.
05/15/2018 09:22 AMPosted by Drarak
and right after that, my post got deleted and my account got banned.
That was likely due to violating the BattleNet forum ToU. I suggest giving it a read to avoid this happening in future.
05/11/2018 10:10 AMPosted by zzz
The main issue was the lack of addressing the two bars and how it is making the game look quite bush-league and just plain silly.
The black bars make it look retro, which actually is what it is... Anyone who plays retro games will know about and appreciate black bars.

That said they are hiring UI programmers, so I would not be surprised if in the future those black bars are changed.
I am a real person, not the person you mentioned. I clicked onto an open forum and gave my knowledge on the subject. I also never told you how to play the game. Although its quite clear that you need someone in your life, telling you what to do. Because when left on your own, the highest achievement reached is a troll. I hope the game stay's just the way it is. That way I will always know, somewhere else, you are sitting there stewing. Because you think your favorite toy is broken.
05/15/2018 09:22 AMPosted by Drarak
Guys dr.supergood and pete stillwell is the same person.

I made a post criticizing pete stillwell while talking to dr.supergood, and right after that, my post got deleted and my account got flagged.

There wasnt anyone else in the thread at that time besides me and dr.supergood, but dr.supergood doesnt have the ability to remove posts and ban people, only pete stillwell has, so obviously its the same person.

This is by far the most unprofessional developer ive seen, his arrogance is insane.

+1, I was banned with no reason too after replying to this clown. Sad to see what Blizzard has become, even EA developers don't do such rat things.
05/15/2018 04:39 PMPosted by unopinionatd
I hope the game stay's just the way it is. That way I will always know, somewhere else, you are sitting there stewing.

Strange, I never used to know this game with UI hitboxes completely off but you have.
05/16/2018 04:35 AMPosted by Drarak
05/15/2018 04:39 PMPosted by unopinionatd
I am a real person, not the person you mentioned.

You are a sad person, that i agree with you.

Could you stop insulting people? It doesn't make your feedback better and it's insanely immature.