BOTS VS BLIZZARD DEVELOPMENT TEAM

General Discussion
NEW BAN WAVE - Blizzard Dev Team - DIABLO 2 - D2BS BOT + KOL BOT

Coders are now changing out the .dll files to trick the AntiCheat function, We need a common sense solution to a timeless problem. It's with great hopes that this topic will be seen & shared to the right folks at Blizzard. Those that continue to break the Terms of Service should think twice about the up coming season. I'm willing to donate in upwards of $1,000 USD for a Fix All Solution for this Classic game. The implementation of captcha or the like of other programmable edits to verify human authenticity in this game would be a night and day difference.

Sincerely,
The United Diablo Players of the World

PS - I encourage all players to share this on Social Media, i.e. Twitter/Facebook
No Bots, No Dupes, No Spam = The Best Season in 20 years!
I'd like to see this become a thing outside of Blizzard where this United Diablo Players becomes an organization where people donate money to pay for professionals to find botters, hackers and dupers world wide irl and then dox them, notify their employers of their criminal activities and send their personal information to Blizzard's legal team. There is software now that can track all internet activity to the place origin.
even martin luther king didnt have as wild of dreams as you fools

if there was an EASY fix for bots blizz would have no reason not to or it would have been fixed long ago.
which means the fix is to hard or not worth the time for them.

or they just like to "kinda" fix things up once and a while to stir the pot a bit and make it seem like they are still actively supporting d2.
But we are in democracy.
06/05/2018 10:28 PMPosted by Unforgotten
NEW BAN WAVE - Blizzard Dev Team - DIABLO 2 - D2BS BOT + KOL BOT

Coders are now changing out the .dll files to trick the AntiCheat function, We need a common sense solution to a timeless problem. It's with great hopes that this topic will be seen & shared to the right folks at Blizzard. Those that continue to break the Terms of Service should think twice about the up coming season. I'm willing to donate in upwards of $1,000 USD for a Fix All Solution for this Classic game. The implementation of captcha or the like of other programmable edits to verify human authenticity in this game would be a night and day difference.

Sincerely,
The United Diablo Players of the World

PS - I encourage all players to share this on Social Media, i.e. Twitter/Facebook
No Bots, No Dupes, No Spam = The Best Season in 20 years!

Cheers guy! I will share it with all my folks in the bayou.

Also you can ignore the aloof trolls in between our comments.
There are no Spam
There are also No Dupes.

I think the most important thing ahs been taken care of.

Even if you Code it out, the "3rds"developer will code it back in.
It might take a day, it might take a half year.
Simple. Do behavior based detection instead of memory reading. Behavior based detection + active monitor = easy to shut down all bots within 1 week, blacklisting IPs on those bots, as well as the cdkeys forcing botting to not be worth it due to expenses.

Blizzard has every ability to do so, they do it in their other games, they can do it for d2. They won't. I'll leave the speculation for reasoning up to the forum trolls ;)
06/06/2018 06:58 AMPosted by Doctor422
blacklisting IPs on those bots, as well as the cdkeys forcing botting to not be worth it due to expenses
There is an endless supply of proxies and VPNs out there, so blacklisting IP addresses would never work. Botters typically aren't using legitimate keys either, so blacklisting those would have little effect and the expense of obtaining new, illegitimate keys would be minimal.

I do like the other ideas, though I'm not sure how feasible they would be. It would be extremely difficult to use behavior based detection and not catch legitimate players in the detection net. I've run enough Baal runs in my time on D2 to know many of the maps well. I can teleport to the throne almost as quickly as a bot, given a map I'm most familiar with, and I wouldn't want to end up banned because it might look like botting behavior. They would also need a large staff to actively monitor the realms, which I doubt is in the classic game budget.
I feel like some day in the future we will have technology to plug people into a software world where they can instantly download skills and knowledge. Then everything will go wrong and machines will take over, but the ONE will save us.
06/06/2018 07:58 AMPosted by NAMELESS
06/06/2018 06:58 AMPosted by Doctor422
blacklisting IPs on those bots, as well as the cdkeys forcing botting to not be worth it due to expenses
There is an endless supply of proxies and VPNs out there, so blacklisting IP addresses would never work. Botters typically aren't using legitimate keys either, so blacklisting those would have little effect and the expense of obtaining new, illegitimate keys would be minimal.

I do like the other ideas, though I'm not sure how feasible they would be. It would be extremely difficult to use behavior based detection and not catch legitimate players in the detection net. I've run enough Baal runs in my time on D2 to know many of the maps well. I can teleport to the throne almost as quickly as a bot, given a map I'm most familiar with, and I wouldn't want to end up banned because it might look like botting behavior. They would also need a large staff to actively monitor the realms, which I doubt is in the classic game budget.

The public proxies blizzard has actively blacklisted. There are many working providers out there, and work-arounds, but it costs $. The more $ you cost the botters the less incentive they have to bot.

Getting new "illegal" keys is not easy, the method has been patched and those specific keys were all mass-banned for fraud. I'm not saying its not impossible, but not open to the mass public to have 1000 keys each without purchasing from third parties. Goes back to costing the botters money. Take away the incentive to bot.

Behavior based detection is much broader than you're thinking.
Logged in xxx hours straight? Review > ban all on IP
Running the exact same champions thousands of runs in a row? Review > ban all on ip
One cdkey/acct pinging on many different proxies across different locations not humanely posssible? Review > Ban all on every IP connected

I mean I could easily go on and on, but that's their job. I would literally remove any anti-cheat, warden, etc. from the game and do behavior based and pattern recognition only.

Again, they have shown the ability to do these things, refuse to do so.

Feel free to speculate ;)
blizzard could care less about diablo 2.. it has little to no income for them anymore.
im glad they keep the servers open on a 20 year old game but your wasting time if you think they will actually make it through one season od ladder reset without thousands of bots destroying the economy and rankings
06/05/2018 10:28 PMPosted by Unforgotten
I'm willing to donate in upwards of $1,000 USD for a Fix All Solution for this Classic game.
You are aware a real solution would cost upwards of $1,000,000 right? As it is the system they currently use has likely been the result of well over $200,000 of labour over the decades.
But we are in democracy.
just trowing this out there I know nothing about bots other than they stuff the game could bot hunting be a an organized activity
could be fun
06/06/2018 07:39 PMPosted by Doctor422
I mean I could easily go on and on, but that's their job. I would literally remove any anti-cheat, warden, etc. from the game and do behavior based and pattern recognition only.
What you are suggesting is heuristic detections to find botters rather than the confirmed botting signatures they currently look for. I'm sure that an antivirus you've used at some point in your life has given you a false positive or 30 because of this method of detection. Any false positive against a legitimate player is a failure in the whole system, and with your theory it would happen, without a doubt, and probably excessively.

I'm sure they are already using behavior and pattern analysis along with the digital signatures a game client sends to develop the detection algorithms. Then I have to ask, how are the bans issued without the automated anti-cheat systems? Behavior and pattern based detection would have to be automated, just as the current anti-cheat mechanisms work, but are you really saying they should remove all of the automated banning routines and manually review each one that gets flagged? Digital clues from botting clients or modified game clients will tend to be static and easier to detect, while behavior and patterns from any botting method could potentially vary to some degree depending on the setup used, meaning every one of them would have to be manually scrutinized to verify it. If behavior and patterns are going to be analyzed to detect botting activity, it should be used only to confirm the digital detections they are already using and find new botting signatures that were previously unknown to enhance the accuracy of their bans.

But hey, continue to believe they are doing nothing. The progress they made at the end of last year that crippled bots for the beginning of the current ladder season proves that wrong. The fact that bots are coming back in large numbers again just means they need to do the same thing before this next reset that they did before the last one. Feel free to speculate.
actually the current season is still clean and tidy , only those who are sellimg Stone of jordans to the ingame merchants to spawn the world event Uber Diablo are probably some kind of cheaters IMO who duplicate the stone of jordan to unlimited ammount
And next ladder is number 25 not 20
06/07/2018 01:36 AMPosted by Olivie
actually the current season is still clean and tidy
Still wrong.

06/07/2018 01:36 AMPosted by Olivie
And next ladder is number 25 not 20
Next ladder is actually season 22. So, wrong again.
06/06/2018 10:39 PMPosted by NAMELESS
06/06/2018 07:39 PMPosted by Doctor422
What you are suggesting is heuristic detections to find botters rather than the confirmed botting signatures they currently look for. I'm sure that an antivirus you've used at some point in your life has given you a false positive or 30 because of this method of detection. Any false positive against a legitimate player is a failure in the whole system, and with your theory it would happen, without a doubt, and probably excessively.

I'm sure they are already using behavior and pattern analysis along with the digital signatures a game client sends to develop the detection algorithms. Then I have to ask, how are the bans issued without the automated anti-cheat systems? Behavior and pattern based detection would have to be automated, just as the current anti-cheat mechanisms work, but are you really saying they should remove all of the automated banning routines and manually review each one that gets flagged? Digital clues from botting clients or modified game clients will tend to be static and easier to detect, while behavior and patterns from any botting method could potentially vary to some degree depending on the setup used, meaning every one of them would have to be manually scrutinized to verify it. If behavior and patterns are going to be analyzed to detect botting activity, it should be used only to confirm the digital detections they are already using and find new botting signatures that were previously unknown to enhance the accuracy of their bans.

But hey, continue to believe they are doing nothing. The progress they made at the end of last year that crippled bots for the beginning of the current ladder season proves that wrong. The fact that bots are coming back in large numbers again just means they need to do the same thing before this next reset that they did before the last one. Feel free to speculate.

Yes they should manually review. They are not currently instant-banning based on those anti-cheat methods, so why use them?

Since the majority of botters use public code, using behavior based mechanisms would easily identify those patterns very fast.

As I said in each case, a manual review would be required, but they need to broaden the scope of the ban, and ban every account/key/ip linked to the user. This would deter botting more than any anti-cheat.

Anti-cheat to botters is just another challenge (and not a very hard one, for example, the anti-cheat doesn't even run on mac computers right now)

/facepalm