What is wrong with you Blizzard? Deleting Characters.

General Discussion
If you haven't noticed yet Blizzard went through a massive character deletion yesterday. So you all may want to go check your accounts. We are not talking about "Player not found" but literally removing characters from your account character list, the same way as if you hit the delete button. Tens of my friends got affected, many of them left with empty ghost accounts. And here are some facts:

1) ALL deleted characters of mine (and my friend's) were accessed within the past 1-2 months, many of them within the past 3 weeks. I am a Diablo veteran since Diablo1. I know the drill - 3 months of account expiration so every 2 months or so i went through every character of mine, selecting it to lobby and switching to next in order.
As you can expect from a player being into the game for 15+ years I have many mules with items that i have been collecting along the way. Overall that is what makes Diablo 2 fun for me and for most of the people, it is all about grinding, upgrading and TRADING. You haven't added zero new content for a decade so what do you expect the players to be fond of - running every ladder till they finish it? Of course not, Diablo 2 is still alive and still gains interest because it offers something that is beyond running through all 3 difficulties and stop.

3) There was literally zero heads up on what was coming. You never mentioned anything about deleting characters that weren't active for some weeks. I checked all Blue posts. We all know your 3 months inactivity policy and I've personally been complying with it since the dawn of b.net. Now out of sudden, without any warning, you start removing characters from characters list and hoping for what? That no one will notice?

4) Like I mentioned above I complied with the 3 months inactivity policy by "refreshing" my accounts once every 1-2 months or so. Last time I did it was around a month ago but still characters got deleted. Most of them were mules that did not have 2 hour played but I have not had problems for 10+ years as I use unique names and I access them (at least) once every 1-2 months or much often - for a trade, item swap, etc. So legit items that I have been collecting since early 1.09 are gone now. But friends got hit even worse. They have lost high level characters, many of them 99 level simply because they mostly come online to duel with 2-3 out of the 8 characters and now the only ones left on their accounts are the ones they recently used.

5) So usually for any company that is changing their policy is required to make an announcement and at least give people enough time to meet the new requirements. You basically silently changed your policy for character inactivity where from the looks it is 1-2 months now and not more than 2-3 weeks for characters with less than 2 hours play.

Watching what is happening with Diablo 2 over the past 2-3 years it looks like you deliberately want to kill the game by making players just quit. First it was the false-positive detection where people were marked as spam bots and then you reverted the bans. Then you started banning for using shared keys that players have been using for 10+ years without a problem but you still banned their accounts. And now this character deletion. Every one of these fails made thousands of legit players and veterans quit. I am not talking about botters who would not care less and just keep botting and farm more items. We are talking about players who spent 5-10 years enjoying your game, spending time and passion building characters and collecting items. So if your goal is to slowly kill the game, why don't you just announce that you terminate the service and shut down the servers?

Back on the character deletion that happened some hours ago. If that was intentional as looks like so far, how much space did it clear from your servers? Watching my single player files, a character file is like 5-6 KB. So how many characters did you delete? 1 million? 2 million? That is 5-10 GB of space, exactly what I received as FREE cloud storage when I renewed my cellular plan. So is Blizzard so poor nowadays to want to cut storage resources, which by the way is the cheapest resource when you rent a server?

Until now I have been patiently accepting every Blizzard change towards Diablo 2, repeating myself that it is for the common good - to stop bots and hackers. And indeed that happened, the so annoying spam bots are gone now. However it also opened the Pandora box with tons of new restrictions, bans, etc. And on the top of it, now this character deletion. I really start to believe that you are doing it on purpose so the players who have been really involved with the game to quit and the game to slowly die off. Few friends already quit after the yesterday's fiasco and probably more will do once they login and see the damage.
Game is harder than ever now
sadly true history
06/13/2018 01:06 AMPosted by JOR
Watching what is happening with Diablo 2 over the past 2-3 years it looks like you deliberately want to kill the game by making players just quit.

I did say it 6 months ago.
However, I did get banned for botting. But still I would tell blizzard what they are purposely doing with the game. Would they listen to a botter? Nah.
Are they listening to you?
Nah............
But the harsh truth is, over 75% of the people played diablo 2 were cheating.
Now its alot less, but 75% of the d2 community, who also played legit, maybe they used mh, Are Gone. Did you think that many players would care to buy a new key set?
Of course not, which is why you re-enabled a bunch of those disabled cd keys.

I`m done with blizzard, Best of luck with the new "Unanounced project".
Why is it that. Blizzard ALWAYS has unannounced changes?
The least you could do is give us a complete list of changes/patches whenever you do anything. Along with What went wrong, New bugs, Which bugs you're looking to fix.
Why you remove actual in game abilities, such as Telekinesis.
I'm sure alot of ppl would like to know, and I really doubt this new Diablo project is going to be Lit, watching how the average player gets treated and we're all left in a vast sea of cluelessness which brings chaos to the forums.
Legit players are indeed getting punished hard. Blizzard needs to understand that Diablo 2 is a phenomenon that is not just for killing monsters and running through ladder. And that every character and every item matters a lot and it is not okay to just delete them. Diablo 2 is probably the only game that is still alive after almost 18 years and many people are still actually playing it and returning to it. What is amazing is that players find different enjoyment, many of my friends were playing for the duels, a lot more were doing it so they can make item collections. Some people collect stamps, other collect coins and many other collect diablo2 items from previous versions or with perfect stats, etc. But with all the things like bans, caused by cdkeys that after 10 years of use are deemed bannable and now the character deletion, the community is dying and it is all due to the wrong decisions of the company. This is the harsh truth and unfortunately 99% of the people do not even bother coming to the forum to complain but they just quit.

It would be good if we get some answers, for example what happened to the promise that was given when game was migrated to the new servers several months ago that "Account / Characters will not expire anymore" and why now we get silent character deletion even for characters used within the last 1-2 months, far from the 3 month period expiration. Again this character deletion has never been mentioned, players were not warned and it is not even in the ToS.

We all know that the main purpose of keeping Diablo 2 alive is to keep the franchise popular and to advertise new games to the diablo 2 community, however with the current direction of the game, soon there will be no community to advertise to.
Dueling is legit, but being a skiddie, and or buying and selling Blizzard's IP for any kind of currency is not legit and that is why Blizzard is destroying the pvp community. Make these cheaters quit and you destroy the black market economy built around Blizzard's IP.
06/13/2018 03:23 AMPosted by AtomicPunk
Dueling is legit, but being a skiddie, and or buying and selling Blizzard's IP for any kind of currency is not legit and that is why Blizzard is destroying the pvp community. Make these cheaters quit and you destroy the black market economy built around Blizzard's IP.

Dont mind this guy, he shut up once I had real solid statements on who is more experienced playing this game.

It was a random ex-botter from d2jsp vs AtomicPunk.
You're throwing out too much bull Atomic.
If you were right about what you said, why didnt you answer my last post in the other thread?
Why did you have to move here, and try again?

I read something I never thought I would read today:
Trading items - makes Blizzard Destroy the Pvp community.???
I dont think so mate. If ppl would stop trolling and start being really entusiastic about the game, I think blizzard would have an easier job satisfying their gamers.

I think you failed to read: I started with 0.00 fg, and a naked char this December.
I built my way up, 100% legit.

3) There was literally zero heads up on what was coming. You never mentioned anything about deleting characters that weren't active for some weeks. I checked all Blue posts. We all know your 3 months inactivity policy and I've personally been complying with it since the dawn of b.net. Now out of sudden, without any warning, you start removing characters from characters list and hoping for what? That no one will notice?

"I checked all Blue posts."
You didn't check a damn.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20764366307

There are just 5 pinned posts.

I think is a good start to clean inactive & botted accounts.
He must’ve not read the new terms of service
I get the idea, that if, i say if, there are a new HD version of d2 coming up, we all have to start on a new server anyway. We cant add old accounts there.
Perhaps with a better stash added and som needed changes. Who knows?

IF that is coming in a year or so, then it would actually be a plus to not have a lot of old collection to feel sad about to leave.

I try to see it positive, even if I am sad that a friend of mine had no accounts to logon today, we had played slow together, no runs or any stress, just fun in passworded games with friends, and we had a break for 2 months. I was loggin onto my accounts inbetween, but she had not, she was trusting that 90 days, and that was a mistake. :/
06/13/2018 04:45 AMPosted by tsumi

"I checked all Blue posts."
You didn't check a damn.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20764366307

There are just 5 pinned posts.

I think is a good start to clean inactive & botted accounts.

Lol and point me out to where they say they will delete characters? Did you read the text at all or the fact that it is in blue color is good enough for you to excuse anything wrongful that happens? Let me help you out. The blue post only points out that they will reinstate their practice to purge accounts that have been inactive for 90 days and they give 7 days grace period, so accounts will be deleted after 97 days of inactivity. THAT'S IT!

Character expiration has nothing to do with character deletion. I play b.net for 16+ years and there has always been expiring characters, where as long as the account is active and no one has taken the name, you could revive the expired character and use it. That has always been the case and there was no official statement to state otherwise. And if you actually make an effort to read, I am sure you can find at least several posts where a Blizzard representative explains how expired characters work.

FOR ALL THE WANNABE MODS ABOVE, HERE IS THE QUOTE BY Omrakos:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/16352615555#post-2

... Characters will expire after approximately 90 days of inactivity. Be sure to keep your characters active by playing each of them in a game at least once every 90 days. AN EXPIRED CHARACTER MAY STILL BE ABLE TO BE USED, providing someone else has not recreated a new character with the same expired characters name, or the servers' automatic routine maintenance has not deleted the expired character. If this happens you will receive a "Player not found" error message and the character will be unrecoverable.
Routine periodic maintenance has always been able to delete expired characters and accounts outright. Historically it wasn't used very often. Given the blue post at the top of the forum perhaps this has been changed to run more frequently.

For example, since we're quoting ancient posts, I defer to this one from October 30th, 2007 when Blizzard changed characters to not simply instantly lock you out of using them when they expire (note this also means Blizzard didn't always let you refresh expired characters):

http://web.archive.org/web/20071230225410/http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=support&t=521638&p=1&#post521638

For those who don't like clicking links, I have quoted it below (emphasis mine):

Expired Diablo II characters are now being treated much the same way as Battle.net accounts are treated when they have reached expiration status. When an established character (one having at least 2 hours of in-game time accumulated) has gone unused for a period of 90 days, it is considered expired. You will still be able to use and refresh this character by selecting and entering a game. Once this is done, the expiration timer resets and you will have 90 days again to use it before it becomes expired again. If a character has not been accessed for 90 days, the character name will be available to anyone making a new character. If this happens, the original will no longer be able to be used. A "Player not Found" message will appear if you select an expired character that has had its name used by another user. Characters that have gone unused for 90 days are also subject to being deleted by routine periodic maintenance performed on the realms. It's very important for you to use any character that has reached an expired status if you wish to keep the character. Any character that has expired and either been purged by maintenance or had its name used by another user can not be restored.

When refreshing characters, we strongly suggest entering a game and performing an activity to cause the characters inventory or status to change. Killing a monster to gain experience, or buying or selling an item to change your inventory are adequate methods to refresh your character and be certain it has been saved correctly.

It is safe to say routine maintenance can and does delete expired characters when it's run. It is also safe to assume the rules specified for 'established' characters apply to new characters as well simply replacing the 90 day expiration window of established characters with the 10 day expiration window for new characters. In addition, this clearly applies to accounts (as it always has, though the expiration window for new accounts was until recently 2 days not 10 [see here: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20764366307?page=1 ]). You should play accounts and characters you wish to keep to prevent them from expiring and perhaps being deleted by maintenance or another player creating a character/account over them.
06/13/2018 06:59 AMPosted by Kaylin
Routine periodic maintenance has always been able to delete expired characters and accounts outright. Historically it wasn't used very often. Given the blue post at the top of the forum perhaps this has been changed to run more frequently.

For example, since we're quoting ancient posts, I defer to this one from October 30th, 2007 when Blizzard changed characters to not simply instantly lock you out of using them when they expire (note this also means Blizzard didn't always let you refresh expired characters):

http://web.archive.org/web/20071230225410/http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=support&t=521638&p=1&#post521638

For those who don't like clicking links, I have quoted it below (emphasis mine):

Expired Diablo II characters are now being treated much the same way as Battle.net accounts are treated when they have reached expiration status. When an established character (one having at least 2 hours of in-game time accumulated) has gone unused for a period of 90 days, it is considered expired. You will still be able to use and refresh this character by selecting and entering a game. Once this is done, the expiration timer resets and you will have 90 days again to use it before it becomes expired again. If a character has not been accessed for 90 days, the character name will be available to anyone making a new character. If this happens, the original will no longer be able to be used. A "Player not Found" message will appear if you select an expired character that has had its name used by another user. Characters that have gone unused for 90 days are also subject to being deleted by routine periodic maintenance performed on the realms. It's very important for you to use any character that has reached an expired status if you wish to keep the character. Any character that has expired and either been purged by maintenance or had its name used by another user can not be restored.

When refreshing characters, we strongly suggest entering a game and performing an activity to cause the characters inventory or status to change. Killing a monster to gain experience, or buying or selling an item to change your inventory are adequate methods to refresh your character and be certain it has been saved correctly.

It is safe to say routine maintenance can and does delete expired characters when it's run. It is also safe to assume the rules specified for 'established' characters apply to new characters as well simply replacing the 90 day expiration window of established characters with the 10 day expiration window for new characters. In addition, this clearly applies to accounts (as it always has, though the expiration window for new accounts was until recently 2 days not 10 [see here: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20764366307?page=1 ]). You should play accounts and characters you wish to keep to prevent them from expiring and perhaps being deleted by maintenance or another player creating a character/account over them.

How long have you been playing the game? Because I play diablo 2 realms for more than 15+ years now on DAILY basis and what happened today has NEVER happened before and there was zero warning. Unless you are saying that for 15 years they never ran a routine maintenance. It has always been that "player not found" thing if someone took your name. Now they simply hide your characters from the char selection menu so you cannot "revive" them. All in all that is probably one of the last nails in the d2 community coffin.
06/13/2018 05:44 AMPosted by BareBoyTribe

Exactly! OP didnt bother to see whats right there! They wrote "7 day grace period" after char expires. Simple!

How is life in mom's basement? You obviously have never rented a apartment.
A grace period is the time after the due date.
So if rent was due on the 1st you would have until the 8th to not be past due.
So in this case "Enforce account purge after 90 days inactivity (with 7 day grace period)" they are giving you 97 days to renew your character. Basically they gave us 7 more days. Not just 7 days like you are wrongfully stating. Please notice it says WITH a 7 day grace period.
"This is the harsh truth and unfortunately 99% of the people do not even bother coming to the forum to complain but they just quit."

Truth.

"All in all that is probably one of the last nails in the d2 community coffin."

Yes it is.

Farewell..