Warcraft 3 Reforged : About the 12 selected units limit

General Discussion
Greetings ! I know that there already is a thread for feedback about reforged but I think that this topic here is important enough to get its own thread.

The reason I'm making a separate thread is that there seems to be a divide in feedback that isn't necessary, those of us asking for the limit to be removed want that for custom games. Those who play ladder are asking for the limit to stay.

The solution is to add the unit selection limit as constant to be adjusted in the world editor, specific to each map (12 for ladder maps of course). This has been suggested many times but I feel it drowning in the large number of conflicting replies.

I think that the only obstacle is the actual implementation of large group movement in the current engine. But if that effort is made, it will definitely make a large number of large scale custom games much more appealing.
Any kind of implementation would be welcome, whether we can choose any number up to a maximum, or between a set of predefined numbers like 12/24/36...etc
11/05/2018 02:34 AMPosted by SvnmS
Greetings ! I know that there already is a thread for feedback about reforged but I think that this topic here is important enough to get its own thread.

The reason I'm making a separate thread is that there seems to be a divide in feedback that isn't necessary, those of us asking for the limit to be removed want that for custom games. Those who play ladder are asking for the limit to stay.

The solution is to add the unit selection limit as constant to be adjusted in the world editor, specific to each map (12 for ladder maps of course). This has been suggested many times but I feel it drowning in the large number of conflicting replies.

I think that the only obstacle is the actual implementation of large group movement in the current engine. But if that effort is made, it will definitely make a large number of large scale custom games much more appealing.
Any kind of implementation would be welcome, whether we can choose any number up to a maximum, or between a set of predefined numbers like 12/24/36...etc

Yeah, it would be amazing to be able to customize that for custom maps!
I think that's a good idea, also larger map sizes please?
11/05/2018 02:34 AMPosted by SvnmS

I agree, the potential this can bring for new popular custom maps is limitless.
I don't entirely agree. I've always played Warcraft III by highlighting my troops in each hot key, and...Pressing the tab key to switch between unit type and pressing "E" or "W" depending on the unit to cast my abilities.

Having to press 1, 2, 3, etc, makes it harder for me to manage my troops and maintain their health. For me, I like the way Starcraft II has it set up.

Having the option for the "Army Hotkey" would be a blessing for Warcraft III. I do realise it's better to manage your army individually, but most of the time, players like me (and my friends) manage our units by pressing tab (or manually selecting the unit type) and using our abilities.

Just remember that everyone plays differently, and for people like me, this would be more ideal. It's not like players have to hotkey their entire army into one tab. They can freely choose to limit the amount of units they want into one tab...

Besides, normally I have more then 12 of one unit type, so having multiple of separate numbered hotkeys for them....is a pain.

Agree or disagree, that's my opinion and is what's preventing me from returning to Warcraft III fully.
The 12 unit limit seems ridiculous if you play Starcraft but in Warcraft 3 it isn't actually a huge deal, since you have a lot less units and you're usually gonna be microing them more carefully and usually use multiple control groups either way.

That said, i don't think they necessarily HAVE to keep the limit, even for normal games. It might end up being more of a noob trap than anything.
Unlimited units selection in all modes please....
Sc1 remake is so disappointing. Please don't let War3 be disappointing again.
I would also like more units.
Warcraft III has a 14-unit limit and also allows for multiple building selection.
I agree to that. Leave it vanilla on ladder and competitive modes, allow for mapmakers to disable.
I personally never cared for UUS anyway but I'm not gonna be too conservative when it comes to custom mapping since it's pretty much another game.
Can´t agree more
I was shocked they still intend to keep the current unit selection limit, I would support selecting more units but they have said they don't want to change the wc3 engine and maybe its a constraint of the old style engine?
Gaming has moved on so far since WC3 was a thing. The developers must know that they need to allow for everything to be bigger including maps and unit selection.

If its literally the same game with the same limitations its going to hold peoples interest for a month at best.

No issues with multiplayer ladder having the same units, timings etc. But there needs to be options to go bigger when everyone is done with the base experience. Most of the WC3 fun came from the custom options, rather than the base game anyway.
At least give us a "Casual Ladder" mode with unlimited units selectionto along with all the other QoL improvements to play the standard games comfortably while "Classic Ladder" remains 12 umits selection, and see what will happen.

I believe people will jump to casual mode eventually...

I like standard games but I am no competitive player...just want to enjoy some team games comfortably on the weekend..
I am totally for keeping 12 selected units limit in reforged. Blizzard already made it clear that they don't want to split community between two games, which is fantastic idea. It has to stay the same. On ladder games you never need more than 12 units in one group anyway.
It has been nicely said by SvnmS keep 12 units per cg for melee and give map makers freedom of choosing if their maps will remain with 12 units per cg or more
Remove the 12 unit cap please, those who wanna play with 12 can just check a button to do so or manually make groups like they did before.

This is a huge QoL improvement for custom games AND especially ladder.
remove the 12 unit cap please, I'm used to playing starcraft and it seems retarded to not let me hotkey units as I see fit.
Wow are you seriouslly going to keep 12 unit limit
I would have brought wc remaster if it has removed the limit or increased it allot
But now i don t see any point to i am just going to play my old wc3 custom games
I don t give a crap about ladder
11/06/2018 10:33 PMPosted by ELPRSIDNTE
remove the 12 unit cap please, I'm used to playing starcraft and it seems retarded to not let me hotkey units as I see fit.

This game is in the first place for people who play Warcraft 3, not Starcraft. Those are 2 different games. Who cares if SC has no limit? It's like complaining that you should be able to switch view for first person perspective because you're used to Counter Strike