[War3] 1.30.2 PTR Updated

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 16 Next
10/26/2018 07:41 AMPosted by Xeryxoz

By all means, adding ideas and feedback is what these threads are all about. Personally I think that blizzard may shift their focus as people contribute rather than argue needlessly. It's important to find middle ground.

Well I don't put much stock in my ideas on the subject because I'm not a security expert, but it's not uncommon to warn users about potential risks of using some aspects of the program and notifying that the company is not responsible. In fact, I'm pretty sure almost every piece of software you buy comes with a "if this !@#$s up your computer you can't sue us" or "you better back up your data just in case" clause. And I have had to check the occasional "by checking this box you're confirming that you know we do not provide this service directly and are not responsible for what happens if you choose to accept this risk"

They could just force you to tick an "I accept the risk of using a third party service", and I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure it would mean they can't be held liable for someone hacking said third party (e.x. Ent) and getting your IP.

10/26/2018 07:41 AMPosted by Xeryxoz
As per the existing cloud you've mentioned, I think they value a specialized cloud for WC3 because of compatibility (I'm no coding expert, but for some reason I feel like using an existing one simply because it's cheaper could prove to create some instability issues and grandiose bugs that require a large-scale game rework. If someone here is a programmer, please correct me)

-Also, this has been good input and I respect the idea you've just sent. It's definitively out of the repeat cycle and brings additional, valuable feedback.

Well, there is a problem when using cloud services such as amazon's - these companies also have to protect themselves from the clients (I could easily, for a few bucks, rent some computing power on Amazon's cloud. If they didn't bother to protect themselves from me, I could easily run a virus on their server and boom. I just ruined their server).
This added security does slow down things a little bit compared to what you can get if you completely trust the code you're running on your server, but again, a proxy is super cheap and fast, and as bug-free as one can get. The way data is sent is using some defined structures - Source and destination IP, packet size, etc.. The structure is so rigid there's little room for error. Way less room for error than what they're trying to do now. They're developing their own system, while proxies have existed for a while and are in such widespread use that bugs are virtually nonexistant, especially since, unlike OSes and more complex software, the way they are used is so rigid, with very well-defined protocols, that there's not much to improve/add, so less opportunity to introduce new bugs.

I'm not trying to make any suggestions, and I'm sure my ideas are nowhere near new. I don't know what Blizzard is thinking, and I highly doubt someone just woke up and said "Hey, let's start to systematically destroy WC3!". I'm sure there's a reason they're doing all this, but I don't think security is the main aim.

I'm 99% that this isn't about security. The remaining 1% is reserved to "maybe this is about security, and they're just so strict about it that they won't even trust Amazon with their security/ there are some legal considerations about using such a service for their purposes/ they want to even be able to control the hardware for some reason".
Blizzard why are you destroying our way of life? We have existed peacefully for years and years and years. Now all of a sudden you need to completely change the game? This is going to kill the game. I have loved this game for over a decade and I fear that I soon will no longer be able to enjoy it.
Well that is just sad. I don't mind Blizzard implementing new features, but after you saw that such a huge part enjoyed the game with bots, you should have tried to find a middle solution, not just ban all the bots to get your way. That is no good way to treat your customers Blizzard, even if you do it with the right intentions.
Thank you Blizzard for taking a crack at the game spam that ENT created that utterly destroyed the custom map diversity of Battle.Net. I for one will not miss the ENT gaming spam.

Ent admins are raging children that ban people that don't know a map so they can enjoy their ban as well.
I'm sure Blizzard did this to eliminate once and for all all the latency problems, DESYNC ISSUES (main issue here, you rarely play a custom game without someone dropping out) and obviously security.
Also the gamelist won't be filled with hundreds of empty games anymore, leaving out only the actual games that are being hosted.

I want to let blizzard know that these crying guys are ENT's propaganda victims, the majority of warcraft3 players will welcome these new changes.
peace
10/08/2018 11:27 PMPosted by Silas
Oh yes we all love filtering through the 90% empty lobbies of auto refreshing bots!

...hosting garbage maps. I really wonder who may want to play e.g. X Hero Siege or Life In Arena while there are tons of maps with similar gameplay but just plain better.
https://imgur.com/a/n0a9O0H
This is why I welcome the changes. I've gladly used hosting bots like MMH and ENT for years, but you are lying to yourselves if you don't think bots are cancerous. We're going back to the old days, of freedom.
Bots spread a thinning community over a wide array of games, making the game seem even more empty. At least without bots we can know that games in the lobby have even a single other person who wants them to start.

Save us Blizzard, from ourselves.
i think blizzard should update the test realm to a new version soon.
all patch notes are on page 1.
10/28/2018 11:50 AMPosted by DotsTheHero
Bots spread a thinning community over a wide array of games, making the game seem even more empty. At least without bots we can know that games in the lobby have even a single other person who wants them to start.

now imagine when evryone can host, thousands of lobbys with only 1 Person in there, i dont wanna say it is wrong that evryone can host, but it wont make games filling faster.
a system like in dota 2 would be nice, where you join a lobby of the map you want to Play instead of open a new one
10/28/2018 04:13 PMPosted by Mirar

a system like in dota 2 would be nice, where you join a lobby of the map you want to Play instead of open a new one

but this is exactly why starcraft 2's custom map scene wasn't as active as warcraft's
It's 29 of October today. On 4th of October mr. MMorris twitted, that they will "roll" out something this month on PTR. As far as I know there are some changes on PTR, but not offical news just yet. Blizz has two days. They're preparing some big improvements (?). My questions are - Do you guys believe they will be on time? And second, why couldn't they just give us fast fix to elf t1 and kotg only?
"Evaluating experience when players drop due to network issues"
You didn't manage to fix it in SC2 and you tell me you're going to do something about it in WC3, apart from breaking gproxy on every patch...
And if an external tool can make reconnections happen (yeah sometimes it bugs out but that's not the point) I really wonder why blizzard can't
they likely can. they should ask their friends over at activision for help as activision released netstorm, where reconnecting is possible.
10/28/2018 04:13 PMPosted by Mirar
10/28/2018 11:50 AMPosted by DotsTheHero

now imagine when evryone can host, thousands of lobbys with only 1 Person in there, i dont wanna say it is wrong that evryone can host, but it wont make games filling faster.

This didn't happen in the old days before bots. And this can still happen today with bots, plus bots that are hosting no person lobbies. It is almost impossible for it to be worse with the new patch than it is now.