Diablo Immortal: Blizzcon was not the place for this >.>

Mobile Feedback Discussion
To whomever made the decision to announce a MOBILE diablo game at Blizzcon,

Sincerely hope you read this.

This was not the place. Understand this: I have no problem with the game, I have no problem with the platform. Heck, my phone is lacking in games and I commend this avenue to find new customer bases.

My problem is you built this up for Blizzcon.

Diablo is a very storied and long running franchise. It has gone over 6 years without a new title. up until recently, the franchise existed purely on PC. the majority of players ARE ON PC.

Blizzcon is an annual get together of LOYAL FANS of blizzard games. they already have your games, they play them a lot, and they love them so much and the worlds that exist around them, that they paid a lot of money for hotels and plane tickets or other vigorous travel and come far and wide to celebrate them.

and so it is, that in front of these fans, you teased new games. you dropped hints, "leaks", etc. THe fans cried out "DIABLO 4! YEAH!" and you had to "temper" their reaction. They cried out "Diablo 2 remaster!! WAHOO!" and again, you back pedaled "tempering expectations"

And then you announced a brand new game, on a brand new platform, that none of the fanbase was asking for. keyword there: FANBASE. the loyal legions who show up to blizzcon.

Then in the questions following the announcement, you even admitted this was SPECIFALLY to target new markets and players. GUESS WHAT BLIZZARD, PEOPLE DON'T RANDOMLY ATTEND BLIZZCON LOOKING FOR A NEW COMPANY TO BECOME A FAN OF.

do you now see how stupid this was?

This should have been saved for E3 or CES, maybe announced in partnership with a phone company and a new phone release, or otherwise presented to those NEW MARKETS that are NOT at blizzcon. Blizzcon is the home of your current loyal fans. If the game was announced and became a great hit, then yes, welcome it into the fold at Blizzcon.

oh gee, you've even BEEN DOWN THIS ROAD BEFORE!!
from the wiki: "At Sony's Press Conference on February 20, 2013, Chris Metzen announced that Diablo III would release on both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4"

Sony's Press Conference. Hmmm... not BlizzCon.

Is activision strangling you? with Morhaime stepping down, how much of the heart of blizzard is left? because it sure seems like the Blizzard I knew and loved has lost its mind and its direction.
Year after year after year, you have teased Diablo announcements. TIme and time and TIME again, the fanbase put out "diablo 4!!!" excitement that had to be bashed beck down to normal expectations with the PR Hammer. Seems like your fans REALLY want a Dioabl 4? why don't you make and announce that at Blizzcon? or Diablo 2 Remaster, which has seen just as much excitement.

So that is why I feel slapped in the face blizzard. 1) This was nothing current fans were hyped for, asking for, or would seem canon, and yet you announced it to current fans. 2.) You've been down this road before, with Sony, Xbox, and Nintendo, and you knew better then, but not now? 3) Next time your leaks or rumors or hints lead fans to draw the Diablo 4 conclusion, and you then backpedal, I am done. I am a Diablo fan at heart, but it's as if you told your current fanbase that they aren't valuable enough to be worth treating to new content, instead lets set the profit ship to sail for new lands, hey current fans wish us luck!

This was the wrong place and time.
Not to mention that every console, every new game, every branch of Diablo that is NOT diablo 4 means that Diablo 4's development is that much slower, take that much longer, and have that much less polish when it drops. David Brevik was right when he told you all that "blizzard is the Ferrari" of video games. The more you dilute the development process, the more it looks like you're just trying to sell to the absolute most people possible, damn the results. Will Diablo 4 drop in a few years to the same disaster that Diablo 3 was when it first launched?
I could make a concession here, Blizzard, that a blizzcon announcement would have been appropriate, but not the "what's next" stage. You've made your empire on the PC gaming landscape. Your next major announcement to those fans from that PC gaming dynasty, was a non PC gaming game. Maybe a smaller stage announcement, but you opened Blizzcon with this. You set the expectations for the Diablo fanbase up, and then left them with a small token.

I hope the mobile app succeeds, but I also hope whoever decided this was a good idea gets a pie in the face.
11/02/2018 06:32 PMPosted by Ivan
Not to mention that every console, every new game, every branch of Diablo that is NOT diablo 4 means that Diablo 4's development is that much slower, take that much longer, and have that much less polish when it drops.

I can't say I'm looking forward to the mobile game (not a fan of mobile games) but it doesn't have to mean that at all, development for a mobile game will have a different team working on it than a potential Diablo 2 remake or a Diablo 4 game. Not to mention they're partnering with NetEase for the mobile game, so Blizzard probably isn't doing all of the work themselves (wouldn't surprise me if it's largely art/lore and that will probably already exist).
11/03/2018 05:14 PMPosted by CareVader
11/02/2018 06:32 PMPosted by Ivan
Not to mention that every console, every new game, every branch of Diablo that is NOT diablo 4 means that Diablo 4's development is that much slower, take that much longer, and have that much less polish when it drops.

I can't say I'm looking forward to the mobile game (not a fan of mobile games) but it doesn't have to mean that at all, development for a mobile game will have a different team working on it than a potential Diablo 2 remake or a Diablo 4 game. Not to mention they're partnering with NetEase for the mobile game, so Blizzard probably isn't doing all of the work themselves (wouldn't surprise me if it's largely art/lore and that will probably already exist).

No it does mean that. Those people working on the mobile project could also be working on the D4 project, or the remaster, or SOMETHING for PC, but they aren't. It will only dilute D4. It is funds in to the diablo franchise NOT going to Diablo 4.
11/04/2018 04:42 AMPosted by Ivan
No it does mean that. Those people working on the mobile project could also be working on the D4 project, or the remaster, or SOMETHING for PC, but they aren't. It will only dilute D4. It is funds in to the diablo franchise NOT going to Diablo 4.

That's assuming people working on the mobile game have the skills to work on a full PC game, which they probably don't, especially given this is a partnership with NetEase. The Chinese market is huge, there's a lot of money in it, and with NetEase involved it's not like funding is going to be an issue. Chances are they're even reusing code from other NetEase games.

I doubt I can convince you (or anyone) otherwise, but I'm personally not worried at all about this project taking funding or talent from a PC game; then again I also don't think D4 is going to appeal to the old playerbase either. I can't see it being more similar to D2 than D3 at this point in time.
It's not about their skills. Its not about who they are.

Blizzard could take the funds and the time and the SLOTS they have put into this project, and put it into Diablo 4. They didn't.

Blizzard, as big as they are, have limited resources to allocate to a total amount of projects. Ever seen a Chef try and cook to many meals at once in a kitchen?

It was time, resources,and money allocated inside the diablo franchise outside of the sequel. that's going to make the next direct sequel take longer, while at the same time displaying that the resources were there.

Anyways we are squirrelling away from the original purpose of the post, and that was that this was the wrong place, the absolute WRONG place to make this announcement.

"The last ever dolphin message was misinterpreted as a surprisingly sophisticated attempt to do a double-backwards-somersault through a hoop whilst whistling the 'Star Spangled Banner', but in fact the message was this: So long and thanks for all the fish."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojydNb3Lrrs&t=59s
get over your self Ivan. Diablo Immortal was never intended for YOU and your PC. Just because you feel that every thing Blizzard dose has to focus on you and the way you play your game. Diablo Immortal is very much apart of the Diablo family and deserves every bit to be apart of Bilzzcon. Just because you were expecting something different and wanting to hear about Diablo 4, you have to knock it. Diablo Immortal is not intended for the PC or console player. It is in fact designed for the future gammer, the 10 year old that is affixed to the cellphone allowing Blizzard to bring Diablo to a new generation. I think it is a brilliant move for blizzard. Don't get your panties in a bunch, Diablo 4 will be out soon enough.