Battle net causing computer to freeze

Technical Support
Hello,

I've been trying to troubleshoot an issue i'm having with battle net. Whenever I try to update one of my games (WoW , Overwatch etc) my computer screen will freeze..
sometimes I can move my mouse and the screen is just froze, the HD light stills blinks occasionally.

I've tried everything outline in (https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20753715303)

My spec are

I7-4790K CPU
Nvidia GTX 760
16gb ram

No issues noted with cpu usage from the task manager.
update: now I can't even download battle net. I get 0% installing and my computer freezes.

I can play any other game for hours without any issue but the second I do anything battle.net related boom a freeze.
bump
I am having the same problem, I have cleared all installed games manually, disk defragged, deleted the battle.net tools file, and did the error scan on both of my hard drives still my entire machine freezes on start up. nothing seems to work, one day battle.net just started breaking everything
Bump
There is an official thread on this very issue, although the bad new is, as of yet it hasn't been resolved:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20770546998

If you have access to a second computer, like maybe a friend's or family member's, you can try downloading updates to your game clients on theirs and then copying the game folder from their computer to yours. Then you can launch the game's .exe file from its folder, at least for some games. Works on WoW and Overwatch, SC2 wants to use the launcher though. Haven't checked the rest.
01/04/2019 02:25 AMPosted by Phill
There is an official thread on this very issue, although the bad new is, as of yet it hasn't been resolved:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20770546998

If you have access to a second computer, like maybe a friend's or family member's, you can try downloading updates to your game clients on theirs and then copying the game folder from their computer to yours. Then you can launch the game's .exe file from its folder, at least for some games. Works on WoW and Overwatch, SC2 wants to use the launcher though. Haven't checked the rest.

All of my other computers are Macs
Bump
Hey jennings,

If you haven't already, it would be a good idea to try the troubleshooting steps listed here.

If this persists though, please provide your DxDiag so we can take a closer look:
1) Press Windows Key + R.
2) Type DxDiag and press Enter.
3) In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
4) Name the file "dxdiag" and click Save
5) Paste the DxDiag into a new post, select and highlight everything you just pasted, and hit the "code" button (</>). That'll make the information much more readable.
Marked As Solution
Just a heads up ... was troubleshooting and debugging my son's gaming Z800 Workstation (older Intel Zeon processor) since Dec related to random freezes/crashes on Win7 and discovered that Malwarebytes released another system crashing update that affects certain HW/SW combos (battle.net was one affected ... where Battle.net updater for Overwatch would crash/freeze the system completely ... requiring a hard reset). The system would randomly freeze playing games or doing anything.

Thought I was having HW going out ... sigh ... no patch yet ... they suggest disabling the program or installing an older vers and turn automatic updates off for the time being.

More info here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/latest-malwarebytes-update-causing-windows-7-to-freeze/

If you are using MalwareBytes, this may be the cause of your freezes !!!

I tested it by using their MB clean utility(to uninstall), and re-tried the battle.net updates and they all completed. No system freezes since MB was uninstalled. Not sure if I trust their suggestion of using an older version since this has randomly happened since Dec, with much more freeze frequency in Jan (with latest update).
01/09/2019 06:19 PMPosted by Graveheart

This was indeed the cause of my freezes. Turned off web protection, and I am no longer having problems.

Thank you so much for posting this!
01/09/2019 10:23 PMPosted by Brakkis
01/09/2019 06:19 PMPosted by Graveheart

This was indeed the cause of my freezes. Turned off web protection, and I am no longer having problems.

Thank you so much for posting this!

Glad to be of help ... I installed the older version and that seems to work as well (so far) :-D
Graveheart - you are a legend. MWB seems to be the issue.
OH MY GOD. I THOUGHT MY MOTHERBOARD WAS DYING. IT TURNED OUT TO BE MWB ALL ALONG?

Thank you so much Graveheart! I'm going to downgrade to an older version of MWB until this issue is resolved.
I am undergoing this issue as well, the only problem is, I don’t have MalwarBytes, at all. This whole thing just started happening with no errors or explanation. I put in some new addons through my Twitch App, I booted up the app, you know. Everything is normal so far. I start up World of Warcraft. And then boom. My whole screen freezes.
I restarted my HP laptop, I uninstalled UTorrentWeb. I finished updating Hots. And then when I jump back to Wow, I notice there’s an update, but I decide to run “Scan and Repair.” Only this time, it starts freezing again, but after leaving it alone for a few minutes, it unfreezes and the scan continues.
I have no idea what kind of issues could generate this kind of nightmare. ;-;
Hey, WilAhnLexios! This sounds like a separate issue than the issue found here with MalwareBytes. If just the Blizzard Application is freezing, try disabling the hardware acceleration within the application. Go to Settings > General and scroll all the way down, uncheck the Hardware Acceleration option.

If World of WarCraft and the whole system is freezing, it's best to start a new thread in the World of WarCraft forums and include a DxDiag file or contact our Technical Support team directly.

If it is freezing and requires a hard reboot, check for overheating. Depending on the hardware, the processor should not exceed 70C and the graphics card should not exceed 80C before it'll starts to throttle. Some processors have a maximum of 62-67C where it can throttle at lower temperatures.