D2+wine

General Discussion
Hello, just got me new keys for D2+LOD and installed it via wine on 18.04 Ubuntu. Single player is fine but I can't connect to Bnet since it crashes. Tried to find a fix here on the forum or google but to no avail. Is there a fix or should I just forget it? Installing windows on my laptop is unfortunately not an option.
i remember a thread about this a while back. iirc the crash is caused by an anti-cheat library that is downloaded when attempting to connect to battle.net. i think someone did get it to work, but only by circumventing the anti-cheat system. there were some theories that the circumvention would eventually lead to some type of ban. if i can find the thread, i will post a link.

EDIT: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20760475943?page=1
01/05/2019 12:21 PMPosted by Namal
Hello, just got me new keys for D2+LOD and installed it via wine on 18.04 Ubuntu. Single player is fine but I can't connect to Bnet since it crashes. Tried to find a fix here on the forum or google but to no avail. Is there a fix or should I just forget it? Installing windows on my laptop is unfortunately not an option.

i am also a ubuntu user and i only use lts versions (18.04 hardened)

you have will a ton of issues with wine just stop messing with it.

download virutalbox and go torrent a windows 7 64 bit pro or ultimate iso with windows key preinstalled

now run windows along side ubuntu - but your main os is ubuntu so you can shut down windows at any time.
I played D2 on wine for like 5 years without problems. It was last year that battle.net stopped working in it.

A shame really, that's basically why I quit the game.
As I understand it running through any type of "emulation" or the like will actually slow your FPS down greatly; compare frame rate on a windows box vs wine setup and you'll see what I mean. It would be cool if there was a native Linux client but the days for that chance are long gone for Diablo II.

The options are: Find a way to play on windows; that's all Blizzard will officially support for a multitude of reasons. Using a virtual machine like virtualbox will work with some (alot of) tinkering but you probably won't enjoy it like you would on a real box.
Wine is not emulation though. It's a compatibility layer (it basically implements the DLLs and APIs necessary for windows software to run natively under Linux).

Plus, if you get framerate issues with a 2d game from almost 20 years ago that runs on 800x600, even on something like a VM, then you're probably running it on a potato.
01/14/2019 02:52 PMPosted by KevinK
As I understand it running through any type of "emulation" or the like will actually slow your FPS down greatly; compare frame rate on a windows box vs wine setup and you'll see what I mean. It would be cool if there was a native Linux client but the days for that chance are long gone for Diablo II.

The options are: Find a way to play on windows; that's all Blizzard will officially support for a multitude of reasons. Using a virtual machine like virtualbox will work with some (alot of) tinkering but you probably won't enjoy it like you would on a real box.
I ran it on my Mac book air via wineskin (before high Sierra) and I never noticed any loss of performance. That being said I ended up installing boot camp, since high Sierra hasn't been playing nice with wineskin, nor does the Mac client work. Haven't even tried with Mojave so no clue. That being said I second finding a way to game on windows. I just have the smallest amount of space available for the partition and run an external ssd. Anything serious I do on Mac os. Has saved me a lot of frustration and headaches.